Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:25 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,160,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I know the article said that. It seems unbelievable and they aired the place out before they did anything else also.

I think people do not really keep the max human core temperature at the top of mind all the time. They would have been already dehydrated do to so much exposure to heat. Heat can also make you sleepy and they may have actually just fallen to sleep and never woke up to know the situation they were in.
Well...the article said the man didn't have any clothes on, and was lying, face up, on the bed. To ME, it seems like the heat was bothering him.

It seems like, to me, that dementia, or some kind of mental impairment was in play here. Otherwise, why didn't they call someone or open up a window? I'm also kind of wondering (purely speculation) if maybe the couple had a suicide pact. I say that because we found evidence of my stepdad trying to talk my mother into a suicide pact, and they were 87 and 89.

What a sad sad sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 09:36 AM

9,890 posts, read 4,656,637 times
What was the outside temperature. Maybe they intended to take a chill out of the air then turn it down and forgot, fell asleep.

Also sounds like the house was tight ie well insulated/sealed for heat to build up like that. That thermosat probably would've had to been maxed out. Thermostats go to 106?

They say turning up the heat is a trick to cover up time of death by a killer. Hopefully no foul play.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:51 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Crossed my mind but according to report (link l posted above):

They weren't mobile enough to open a window or doors, but call for help?

How anyone could leave parents in that condition (health wise) without some support system like Home Healthcare, Medical Alert System, or neighbor checking on them?
They weren't fit to take care of themselves.

Still, how is that possible for residential furnace to reach 1000F?? Weren't there any automated safety measures, override or something?

I think that their son has much to explain about the "fiddling with the wire".
I wish they'd given more information on where they measured that temp. Pretty much any heat source is going to be 1000 degrees at the source. If it were putting out air at that temp it would have ignited any wood or paper in the air stream.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:02 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
The autopsy will show whether it was heat or CO2.

CO2 deaths during cold weather is not an infrequent event in the US or other countries.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:17 AM

142 posts, read 85,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I wish they'd given more information on where they measured that temp. Pretty much any heat source is going to be 1000 degrees at the source. If it were putting out air at that temp it would have ignited any wood or paper in the air stream.
That's what I was thinking. Paper ignites at around 400 F. The house would have been ablaze long before reaching 1000 F.

The coils of a little electric space heater reach over 1000 F.

It's basically a meaningless figure that was added to the article to sensationalize the story.

Old 01-10-2024, 02:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
They say turning up the heat is a trick to cover up time of death by a killer. Hopefully no foul play.
Yup; turning the thermostat up OR down to confuse the time of death. Hmmm...

Old 01-10-2024, 02:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The autopsy will show whether it was heat or CO2.

CO2 deaths during cold weather is not an infrequent event in the US or other countries.
Since levels in the home were found to be normal, that seems very unlikely.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:28 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangchin213 View Post
That's what I was thinking. Paper ignites at around 400 F. The house would have been ablaze long before reaching 1000 F.

It's basically a meaningless figure that was added to the article to sensationalize the story.
Fahrenheit 451, right?

I agree that 1000 is a red herring. The temperature in the house would not have had to reach much over 100F to cause heat stroke in a frail elderly couple. Elderly people die of the heat at 100+F, every summer.

If it was CO poisoning instead of heatstroke, that's understandable. But if both partners were so immobile that they were unable to leave the house, open a window, or access a phone, cell or otherwise, within a few minutes, they should never have been left alone.

Old 01-10-2024, 03:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyanderson9869 View Post
This is a tragic and perplexing incident. The details surrounding the South Carolina couple's death are truly disturbing. The fact that the home heater reached 1,000 degrees is astonishing and raises numerous questions about how such an extreme temperature was even possible. The discrepancy between the body temperatures measured by medics and the interior temperature reported by fire officials adds to the mystery. It's a heartbreaking situation, and my thoughts go out to the family and friends affected by this inexplicable tragedy. Authorities will likely conduct a thorough investigation to understand the circumstances leading to this devastating event.
it is not possible.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:21 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Since levels in the home were found to be normal, that seems very unlikely.
At the time they were taken. But by all means, call them and tell them to call off the autopsy.

I mean why argue with a difinitive test of what killed them? I really don't follow your logic on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events