Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:02 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

There have been stories of people losing bodily functions on airplanes, but this one is horrible all around.

The poor wife who lost a loved one under those conditions. The passengers who witnessed all of that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-dies-...191920956.html

Quote:
A 63-year-old man died during a Lufthansa flight this week after losing "liters of blood' in a scene that terrified passengers.

The unidentified man boarded a Lufthansa flight from Bangkok to Munich with his wife on Thursday, according to Swiss-German outlet Blick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 06:34 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
How awful—for the man and his wife of course, but also for the passengers and crew. What did he die from? Probably not contagious, but the passengers and crew may be worried anyway. Were the passenger and his wife aware of how very sick he was and hid it from people? I'm glad I wasn't on this flight.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:06 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
This was posted elsewhere on CD a few days ago. Can't remember if it was this forum or not.

As I recall, persons knowledgeable about this kind of thing concluded cause of death was Esophageal varices.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:29 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
This was posted elsewhere on CD a few days ago. Can't remember if it was this forum or not.

As I recall, persons knowledgeable about this kind of thing concluded cause of death was Esophageal varices.
there were a few things that could cause this but most folks with knowledge/training had varices at the top of their differential

Old 02-22-2024, 12:53 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Sounds like he had some type of cancer or something. It's sad that it happened, but ridiculous that anyone would get on a flight (or be allowed to get on a flight) while sweating profusley and having trouble breathing. I certainly wouldnt want anyone's bodily fluids getting on me but seems like that's a risk when getting on a plane these days. No one ever has the courtesy to stay home when they're sick anymore

Old 02-22-2024, 01:53 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

^^^ A vague guess l saw on Reddit.

It could be also a dengue fever (DHF).
Thailand has witnessed a staggering rise in dengue fever cases last year.
Dengue cases in Thailand have cyclical patterns, with outbreaks happening every two to three years.
The yearly reported cases range from 40,000 to over 100,000 during outbreak years.
Dengue is the most common arboviral disease worldwide and a common cause of fever in travelers returning from areas with endemic disease.

Some viral hemorrhagic fevers are spread from person to person through close contact with infected people or their blood or body fluids or from contact with objects contaminated with infected body fluids.

I think that some passengers would like to have answers as what was the diagnosis.

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/de...-with-covid-19

Old 02-22-2024, 04:24 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
My first thought was that he must have said negative about Putin. There’s a lot of that going around.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:49 PM

133 posts, read 39,925 times
He could have been an alcoholic and his esophagus just gave up the ghost finally

This happened to someone I know who was a bad alcoholic, I remember the doctors kept stressing "thank god you weren't on a plane."

Old 02-23-2024, 07:48 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
He could have been an alcoholic and his esophagus just gave up the ghost finally

This happened to someone I know who was a bad alcoholic, I remember the doctors kept stressing "thank god you weren't on a plane."
I guess that also could have explained the sweating and shortness of breath as that happens to people going through withdrawal. Either way, pretty discourteous for anyone to get on a plane if they're having withdrawal issues like that. I feel bad the guy died, but what a way to go .

Old 02-23-2024, 01:08 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post

Liver disease is most likely the cause. Sounds like pressurization issues triggered the hemorrhage.
Quote:
Esophageal varices develop when regular blood flow to the liver is blocked by a clot or scar tissue in the liver. To go around the blockages, blood flows into smaller blood vessels that aren't designed to carry large volumes of blood. The vessels can leak blood or even burst, causing life-threatening bleeding.

Esophageal varices sometimes form when blood flow to your liver is blocked. This is most often caused by scar tissue in the liver due to liver disease, also known as cirrhosis of the liver. The blood flow begins to back up. This increases pressure within the large vein, known as the portal vein, that carries blood to your liver. This condition is called portal hypertension.

Portal hypertension forces the blood to seek other pathways through smaller veins, such as those in the lowest part of the esophagus. These thin-walled veins balloon with the added blood. Sometimes they rupture and bleed.

Causes of esophageal varices include:
  • Severe liver scarring, called cirrhosis. Several liver diseases — including hepatitis infection, alcoholic liver disease, fatty liver disease and a bile duct disorder called primary biliary cholangitis — can result in cirrhosis.
  • Blood clot, also called thrombosis. A blood clot in the portal vein or in a vein that feeds into the portal vein, known as the splenic vein, can cause esophageal varices.
  • Parasitic infection. Schistosomiasis is a parasitic infection found in parts of Africa, South America, the Caribbean, the Middle East and East Asia. The parasite can damage the liver, as well as the lungs, intestine, bladder and other organs.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351538
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events