Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 03:55 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times

Advertisements

Poor soul. Keeping venomous pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 04:08 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think keeping Gil’s monsters and beaded lizards is regulated.
Keeping hots is regulated, but once again, scofflaws are scofflaws and don't submit to regulations. I'd also be willing to bet that gila-keeper's animal was the product of generations of captive breeding, not taken from the wild. Apparently, gila hobbyists have discovered Gregor Mendel.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:55 PM

165 posts, read 146,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Keeping hots is regulated, but once again, scofflaws are scofflaws and don't submit to regulations. I'd also be willing to bet that gila-keeper's animal was the product of generations of captive breeding, not taken from the wild. Apparently, gila hobbyists have discovered Gregor Mendel.
The article I read said it was illegal to keep Gila monsters in CO and he had 2 of them. Also said the bite was equivalent in danger to a rattlesnake bite, except there's no antivenom.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:11 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
He died “days” later. It would have taken all of a half day as an ER walk in, and probably even less time if carted in by ambulance, for him to get anti-venom.
I don't believe there is anti-venom for their bite since they are extremely rare and usually non-toxic.

That said, he clearly had a lingering issue which they could have treated.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yeah captive breeding programs are a big thing.

For species (of anything) from countries with export bans like Australia that's the only real way with perhaps some rare smuggled examples.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:50 AM

966 posts, read 517,163 times
[quote=Arktikos;66449954]What a bizarre pet. A solitary, venomous animal with a nasty reputation=/QUOTE]

There is no need to drag my ex wife into the conversation.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
The article I read said it was illegal to keep Gila monsters in CO and he had 2 of them. Also said the bite was equivalent in danger to a rattlesnake bite, except there's no antivenom.
Depends on the type of rattlesnake, there are like 13 species in the US.

Eastern, Western Diamondback, Timber and Mojave are 4 right off the top that I would 100% take that Gila monster bite instead.

Prairie and pygmy...probably take those.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:57 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times
Not a darwin contender in my mind. They very rarely kill humans obviously. He had some sort of allergic reaction it seems.

There are too many other stupid deaths that would be the "winner" over this.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:02 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Darwin Award winner?

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2024/02...-a-rare-event/

"COLORADO (KCNC) — The Jefferson County coroner has confirmed that a 34-year-old Colorado man died this month, days after being bitten by one of his two pet Gila monsters.

“I think this case highlights that any venomous animals should be respected,” said Dr. Nick Brandehoff, a medical toxicologist and expert in reptile bites with the Asclepius Snakebite Foundation, who was consulted on the Lakewood Gila monster case.

Gila monsters are venomous reptiles found in the southwestern United States. While their bites can be painful, they are normally not fatal to humans. Experts say that the last report of a human dying from a Gila monster bite was in 1930."
I wouldn’t apply Darwin because it’s extremely rare per the piece you quoted. It hasn’t happened in almost 100 years, but tens of thousands or more have had them for pets in that time. That’s like saying dying from a cat bite is worthy of Darwin Award because he bought the cat.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:51 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
He died “days” later. It would have taken all of a half day as an ER walk in, and probably even less time if carted in by ambulance, for him to get anti-venom.
There is none for gila monster bites. Look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events