Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:00 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Tell us you've never been to New Jersey without saying you've never been to New Jersey...

I've been to NJ a number of times, in a number of different places, but beach time has only been around Atlantic City.

I only knew about having to pay to use the beach because of City Data and a few TV shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 07:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Who dug that hole? I doubt that small girl could have, even if she was tenaciously determined! So did her parents dig that hole? Were they not paying attention? Where were they?

We need to automatically enroll the new generation in parenting classes as soon as they become pregnant.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:31 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Who dug that hole? I doubt that small girl could have, even if she was tenaciously determined! So did her parents dig that hole? Were they not paying attention? Where were they?

We need to automatically enroll the new generation in parenting classes as soon as they become pregnant.
The very first post in the thread, states the 7-year-old and her 9-year-old brother dug the hole. Apparently, it was several feet deep and when it collapsed in on itself, the little girl was beneath her brother. It took about 20 minutes for the children to be dug out and it was too late for little Sloan by then.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:45 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
The very first post in the thread, states the 7-year-old and her 9-year-old brother dug the hole. Apparently, it was several feet deep and when it collapsed in on itself, the little girl was beneath her brother. It took about 20 minutes for the children to be dug out and it was too late for little Sloan by then.
I'm suspicious that they were able to dig a hole that deep and wide.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:57 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'm suspicious that they were able to dig a hole that deep and wide.
Honestly, I'm not. I grew up in a beach community and we would dig incessantly. My mom has pictures of me my sister and 2 cousins standing in a hole where you can only see us from mid-chest up. Probably well over 3 feet deep on a pair of 6-year-olds.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:50 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Honestly, I'm not. I grew up in a beach community and we would dig incessantly. My mom has pictures of me my sister and 2 cousins standing in a hole where you can only see us from mid-chest up. Probably well over 3 feet deep on a pair of 6-year-olds.
The hole was 6 feet deep. How could they get the sand out from that deep ?

Old 03-23-2024, 08:31 AM

16,302 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I doubt it ever occurred to them it would be dangerous to let the kids dig. They're from Indiana, not a beach area where people might know that. I wouldn't have known it was dangerous.
Honestly they are probably PISSED off and I would be too. Who the f*ck goes on vacation and has their kid die from being buried in the sand...pretty much no one. What an awful thing to go through.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
What evidence or proof do we have that the two little kids dug a 6' deep hole without adult help -- the parents' word? Witnesses? That seems very implausible, and it was also reported that unnamed adults actually created it.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:19 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What evidence or proof do we have that the two little kids dug a 6' deep hole without adult help -- the parents' word? Witnesses? That seems very implausible, and it was also reported that unnamed adults actually created it.
Two feet deep, maybe. Six feet deep? No way. Not only would the kids not be able to throw the sand that high up out of the hole, but in order to make a hole that deep in the first place, the sand would have to be very damp and packed firmly under the surface layer. It would take big spades and a lot of strength to continue excavating it, more strength than little kids have.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
As far as the depth of the hole? Any pics? Why? Because something just entered my brainless head. After an onshore wind, the beach could have erosion in which there will be a ridge along the hightide line. That "ridge" can be a several foot high, unstable "cliff" that could easily collapse if somebody was even just digging a small hole at the base of it. When I drive out on the beach and go to park, I know not to park near the edge of such cuts as the weight of my truck will collapse it and it'll probably be claimed by the tide if I don't get it unstuck in several hours. Just standing on the edge may be enough to make the sand collapse.

On NC's outer banks, way back in 86 if I remember correctly, I saw trucks parked at the top of the dune crossing. My curiosity bettered me and I had to find out why nobody was actually continuing onto the beach. This was after a 2-week northeaster. Not only was the beach cut out so deep from the tides that it was unpassable beyond the access point, but the remaining bones of an old shipwreck was uncovered. Quite cool. Upon a little research that ship would occasionally be uncovered after a storm. It was a sailing vessel that ran aground in a storm in the 30's. For the curious, I can't remember if it was the ramp just north of Avon or just south of Rodanthe! That happens a bit now and then on our beaches. Saw a few ship ribs unburried by a storm on Assateque near me 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events