Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times

Advertisements

I think the benefit of helmets is overstated. It only helps in collisions or falls when you hit your head. Most cyclist injuries are to limbs and torsos. Helmets don't help with that.

I wear a helmet, but not religiously. I prioritize helmet wear on faster roads and night time. I am much less concerned on roads with slow traffic that are well lit. I rode slowly on city streets or shared paths. If you go fast or down mountains you should wear a helmet. If you are on 45mph streets it is probably a good idea to put one on.

Otherwise it's pretty safe.

Also helmets are really hot. They are the reason you sweat on a moderate day. I am sure many people skip them to stay cool. I had to get a new helmet. Mine was making me overheat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I never wore one, and neither did my kids. I guess some kids died, but not that I remember.
I still have a bike, and if I ever ride it again, I wont be wearing a helmet then either.

I have high school and college age grandchildren who never wore helmets, but perhaps any future ones will, to avoid the parents getting turned in to the child wefare police.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I never wore one, and neither did my kids. I guess some kids died, but not that I remember.
I still have a bike, and if I ever ride it again, I wont be wearing a helmet then either.

I have high school and college age grandchildren who never wore helmets, but perhaps any future ones will, to avoid the parents getting turned in to the child wefare police.

we survived, and besides, how is my middle age man shaved head supposed to get tan with a stupid looking helmet on it?

Im usually on a liesurely bike ride, nota marathin...havent fallen off my bike since i was in the third grade..........
oh, and when I fell, it was beacuse i was riding a fat girl on the back of my bike down a hill, and got stitches in my chin.
A helmet wouldnt have of helped, and I survived...

Old 09-11-2016, 06:41 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.
I think your first sentence says it all.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Helmets have cool pads that can be implemented. I wear one .. When I did blade .. And cycle. It's about impact and not so much the speed.. But hey all the fashion folks.. Your exray image may not be pretty..
The logic that most injuries are to the arms and legs .. Doesn't hold water... Bones can be adjusted.. Brains .. Not so much.

Last edited by Nov3; 09-11-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 07:06 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFR View Post
I understand your point of view and until the last time I was of the same opinion. But 6 months ago my brother-in-law was hit by a truck and my mom became weird about cycling. So I've searched for the top helmet in 2016, found these article:
Top Mountain Bikes, Helmets and Clothing Review | Best Adviser
Then just ordered the cheapest helmet from this list on Amazon, and yes! That's saved my cycling and my mom's mental health. And you know $20 isn't big money for that.
And, for now, I strongly advise people to wear the helmets. If it isn't for you, it will be for your mom.
My mom is dead. There is nothing I can do for her or for her memory.
As for your link, thank you for verifying (In my mind), how really ridiculous looking much of the apparel, including helmets, is for adult bicyclists. In all honesty, I would not be caught dead wearing any of that stuff at my age (nearly 75).
No, thanks; if and when I ever ride a bicycle again (we have two 21 speed rigs), I will wear my everyday clothes, and the same helmet I wear when riding the ATV (IF I wear a helmet)!
I bet I won't even be aware of any "wind resistance"!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My mom is dead. There is nothing I can do for her or for her memory.
As for your link, thank you for verifying (In my mind), how really ridiculous looking much of the apparel, including helmets, is for adult bicyclists. In all honesty, I would not be caught dead wearing any of that stuff at my age (nearly 75).
No, thanks; if and when I ever ride a bicycle again (we have two 21 speed rigs), I will wear my everyday clothes, and the same helmet I wear when riding the ATV (IF I wear a helmet)!
I bet I won't even be aware of any "wind resistance"!
Wind resistance is the last thing on a cyclists mind if they are not racing in a time trial. It's all about ventilation.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:34 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,177 times
I have a coaster bike and I do not wear a helmet. I do not ride fast and I just ride my bike on my street that is connected to a cul de sac and another street that leads to a cemetery. It's very quiet here with few cars. I ride slow and watch where I am going, avoiding anything that can make you lose your balance.
Here there is a law that children under a certain age is required to wear a helmet, but I hardly see any wearing them.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I have a coaster bike and I do not wear a helmet. I do not ride fast and I just ride my bike on my street that is connected to a cul de sac and another street that leads to a cemetery. It's very quiet here with few cars. I ride slow and watch where I am going, avoiding anything that can make you lose your balance.
Here there is a law that children under a certain age is required to wear a helmet, but I hardly see any wearing them.
Watching where you are going is a huge factor in preventing a lot of accidents.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:13 AM

226 posts, read 198,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.
Simple. No one ever thinks anything will ever happen to them. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling