Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:04 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Nobody wore them when bicycles were invented! This is just another pampering thing that some "blow in yogurt" parents came up with out of boredom! We grew up in the 70's and never wore a helmet or knee pads when cycling! its retarded!

Now motorcyclists should always wear them considering that their speeds are a lot higher, and their consequences are a lot more serious!
One of our friends would have, more than likely, been spared some serious damage when he was hit by a car and went into the shield too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was going to post this in the fashion forum but settled on posting it here. I don't know what it's like where you are, but despite the laws, I still see many people of all ages not wearing helmets while cycling.

I'm just wondering what, you think, could be the main reason for this.

individual personal choice. something the state and federal goverment should not get involved in.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Enough with "retarded", Ok ?

Its a choice. I dont wear one because my 4 mile ride is very slow and through ally's and and park trails.
IF I rode in Philly or NYC, I wouldnt consider NOT wearing one for a second.
The population has doubled since the 70's, our society is faster paced, people are angrier, and the insane developer assault of the early 80's determined most of our infrustructure to be very, very ped and bike unfriendly. Helmets are a smart choice for a lot of areas and circumstances.
I can respect that but I also believe it is a poor choice. Many of us have shared personal experiences where we fall due to unexpected road conditions or mechanical failures. You are making a personal choice that assumes that becasue of the type of cycling you do, you will either not fall or if you do it will be slow enough where head injury will not occur. I hope that continues to be your experience. But many of us see the helmet as a very inexpensive investment to increase our chances of not incurring a head or brain injury. A helmet does NOT guarantee that, but certainly decreases the likelihood.

Thanks for clarifying your position and sorry if I mis interpreted your earlier post.
I also believe helmets while cycling should be required for riders under 18.

Quote:
algia Nobody wore them when bicycles were invented! This is just another pampering thing that some "blow in yogurt" parents came up with out of boredom! We grew up in the 70's and never wore a helmet or knee pads when cycling! its retarded!

Now motorcyclists should always wear them considering that their speeds are a lot higher, and their consequences are a lot more serious!
Completely agree with your 2nd paragraph, completely DIS agree about your first paragraph.

Helmet use has evolved. Just like we never wore seatbelts in cars, DUI's were not considered as harshly as today, we wore flammable pajamas, were exposed to 2nd hand smoke everywhere, were exposed to DDT, didn't wear helmets skate boarding or skiing, we didn't wear helmets back in the day.

Typically these evolutions occur because they will help PREVENT injury. One local hospital sells subsidized helmets for $15 and fits them in person. Why? Because a group of doctors felt that the # of ER head trauma/injury cases could be reduced and minimized if some of the patients who came in due to bicycle accidents had worn a helmet. There was a testimonial from a parent saying, "We wish we would have thought about making our child wear a helmet. He might be alive today." My daughter twice, has had a small helmet crack instead of a head crack, one was a low speed fall due to a chain coming off. So to me, your "old fart" rationalization is illogical. By the way, what in blazes is "blow in yogurt"?

In short, although there are many rationalizations, I think it is short-sightedness that leads people into not wearing helmets.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Wreck your head into concrete at even 6 or 7 mph and you're probably getting trauma. Beginner cyclists will easily top 10 mph riding leisurely. The rest of us tend to go way faster.

I don't think anyone should be required to wear a helmet, but it's a better choice. Anyone who has cracked a helmet in two (like me) will agree.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,676 times
I am of the school of thought that anyone who wears a bicycle helmet is trying to be a politically correct, trendy wimp. After all, my friends and I never wore one growing up. What's the difference?

Cheers, Chris Dickson!!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,676 times
Default anon chick is right!!

When did Americans get to be such wusses? I'd be embarrased to wear a bicycle helmet!! I didn't wear one in the 70's, and I'm not gonna wear one now!!

Chris Dickson!!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris112235 View Post
I am of the school of thought that anyone who wears a bicycle helmet is trying to be a politically correct, trendy wimp. After all, my friends and I never wore one growing up. What's the difference?

Cheers, Chris Dickson!!
ANd if you're the same age as I am, you didn't wear seatbelts in cars, had DDT as a "safe" insecticide, and were exposed to other things and practices that have evolved. Many of us "enthusiasts" posting here remember when pro cyclists did not wear helmets-now they do. We remember riding our bikes as children without helmets-now we wear them. It is a simple cost benefit analysis. The cost is relatively low and the benefit is high. Now if you are in such excellent control of your cycling technique and environment* that you have a mystical guarantee that you will never fall-more power to you. It is your decision. But to state the "real" reason we wear helmets is to be PC and that it makes us wimpy. That's ignorant. It is to hopefully minimize or prevent head injury if we fall and hit our head. It's not a guarantee, but the odds are much better with a helmet than without.

Oh, and I would be much more embarrassed at the cost of incurring head trauma when a "wimpy" helmet may have prevented it. A "wuss" is one who has too much pride to take the precaution.

*even at low speeds, losing a chain, hitting ice, lose gravel or a slick spot, an unpredictable pedestrian, animal or car or rider error can qucikly send you down. That's why they are called accidents-they are not predictable.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
^^ Nice post cubsoxfan, I agree. I don't wear my helmet everywhere (e.g. .5 miles to the market), but wear it whenever I'm commuting or riding fast, far and/or on roads with real traffic. When asked why I wear a helmet, I always respond that my brain is how I make my money and enjoy my life.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM

102 posts, read 181,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris112235 View Post

Cheers, Chris Dickson!!
Your "school" seems to favor sweeping generalization and name-calling over good manners and considerate discourse.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
A tiny country like Denmark has more cyclists than the entire United states combined.
I would like to see their face expression when an american cyclist tells them they should be wearing helmets.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling