Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the reason why most don't wear helmets?
Laziness/Apathy 29 16.96%
It looks daggy/'fashion' (i.e. don't want it to mess up hair) 40 23.39%
It's for sissies 35 20.47%
Convenience 16 9.36%
Other (specify) 51 29.82%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

The local fixie rider who died getting doored could have used a helmet. RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The local fixie rider who died getting doored could have used a helmet. RIP.
Thanks for the info on that.

I found this article which lists that accident, along with lots of others.

San Diego « BikingInLA

And here's another article which talks about a bicyclist here in SD being killed as a result of being "doored":

http://www.760kfmb.com/story/1558789...-in-north-park

Quote:
A 30-year-old cyclist who suffered a head injury after he was struck by an opening car door while riding in North Park earlier this week died early Friday, authorities said.
Quote:
Paramedics took Newman to Scripps Mercy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead of a massive closed head injury at 1:30 a.m. today, the Medical Examiner's Office reported.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-14-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 11:39 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Getting doored is why one must claim the lane. You should never, ever ride that closely to cars.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Not a popular opinion, Im sure-- but Im a utilitarian, bike-only commuter. I've put thousands of miles a year on a bicycle in a few states and I rarely wear a helmet. As I look at the different sects of bicycle riders, sometimes the serious cyclists/helmet proponents are prophecies on the road to self-fulfillment with their style of riding. I personally just want to get from point A to point B, stealthily and with no drama, no need to make a statement or yell at cars for cutting me off or anything like that. Other cyclists differ in their approach and I feel that puts them more at risk where a helmet might be a good idea. So not saying one is better than the other, but you have a lot more control over your destiny on a bicycle than a faster, larger vehicle. I went to advocacy meetings in two states and stopped going because it was impossible to defend the actions of a lot of cyclists. I also feel a mirror is a better safety device than a helmet but not too many 'serious' cyclists will agree.

Be safe !

Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
its the american mind set, its guna happen to the other guy i am much too clever too quick and too sharp to get hit.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Heat. Bicycle helmets make you hotter. Heat stroke will kill you as well as a knock to the head, and heat exhaustion will make you less aware, less able to control the bike, and less able to avoid bad situations. These costs to helmet-wearing are usually ignored or dismissed out of hand by helmet advocates.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Haven't read the whole thread, but I wear a helmet every time I get on a bike. Wasn't always that way, but when I started doing charity rides they required it and since then I've adopted the practice; even moreso since I have kids who ride now.

As far as the 'why' - it has nothing to do with style (lol) or lack thereof... it is only for safety. I've had only one wreck in my 17 years of riding, but if I hadn't had a helmet I would've gone to the hospital. As it was, I received a bump on the head but was able to complete a 150 mile 2 day ride after getting a new helmet, sunglasses and gloves. A 14 year old family friend was recently in a wreck that he would not have survived if not for the helmet. It was smashed to pieces, his head was not.

Regarding the heat - I regularly ride in 100+ degree weather and have never suffered heat exhaustion or heat stroke - I would not use 'it is too hot' as a reason to not wear a helmet.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 PM

260 posts, read 656,733 times
I don't wear helmets, never wore one growing up, still don't wear one.
88txaggie, the "it's too hot" excuse is not invalid for many individuals. If you can wear one in the 100+ heat, you're like my husband and his body is geared towards reducing heat and thrives in hot weather. I am very sensitive to heat and very prone to heat exhaustion, and know from experience that wearing a helmet (I ride horses too and tried to wear a helmet once when riding a horse that I knew was rank) makes me over heat real fast out here in this desert heat, way more so than if I wear nothing, and I can regulate my temperature much easier and keep much cooler wearing a straw hat (yes, I wear a straw hat while riding a bike ). I am more likely to suffer heat stroke wearing a helmet, than suffer a head injury because I have fallen since I haven't fallen off a bike since I learned how to ride. I'm a very defensive bike rider and obey all traffic laws and always let aggressive/jerk drivers have the right away. I don't ride bikes on trails (that's what my horses are for ), I ride purely to get around this small town when hubby has the car for the day.
My kids wear them since it is the law for 16/under to wear them here.

Last edited by YellowHorse; 07-15-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Heat. Bicycle helmets make you hotter. Heat stroke will kill you as well as a knock to the head, and heat exhaustion will make you less aware, less able to control the bike, and less able to avoid bad situations. These costs to helmet-wearing are usually ignored or dismissed out of hand by helmet advocates.
Get a helmet with better airflow.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
I don't wear helmets, never wore one growing up, still don't wear one.
88txaggie, the "it's too hot" excuse is not invalid for many individuals. If you can wear one in the 100+ heat, you're like my husband and his body is geared towards reducing heat and thrives in hot weather. I am very sensitive to heat and very prone to heat exhaustion, and know from experience that wearing a helmet (I ride horses too and tried to wear a helmet once when riding a horse that I knew was rank) makes me over heat real fast out here in this desert heat, way more so than if I wear nothing, and I can regulate my temperature much easier and keep much cooler wearing a straw hat (yes, I wear a straw hat while riding a bike ). I am more likely to suffer heat stroke wearing a helmet, than suffer a head injury because I have fallen since I haven't fallen off a bike since I learned how to ride. I'm a very defensive bike rider and obey all traffic laws and always let aggressive/jerk drivers have the right away. I don't ride bikes on trails (that's what my horses are for ), I ride purely to get around this small town when hubby has the car for the day.
My kids wear them since it is the law for 16/under to wear them here.
If you ride VERY casually and very SLOWLY then you can probably get away with it. But riding at speeds over 20MPH and on roads with some traffic I would not go without a helmet. There is a saying:There are 2 types of cyclists; those that have fallen and those who have not fallen YET...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling