Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

First of all I am 6'6" tall and would like to get a mountain bike because while I will ride the local roads I intend to make use of some of the state parks biking trails that are described as "mountain biking trails".

What size frame should I get? Also,there are a lot of hills on the local roads (big hills). I know I will be walking them at first but as I develop I want to be able to bike up them. How many gears should I get?

Road concerns-
What do you do about dogs? I am in a rural area where a lot of people do not contain their animals. Is there some sort of way to discourage them?

Another concern is the large number of people in our society that are "a-holes" and like to mess with people. I am going to be riding some remote roads with maybe a house every mile or two, lot of "odd" people in my area, a few might find it amusing to hassle a lone rider. Has anyone had to deal with that?

I could see people throwing their empty beer bottles or spitting chew on a rider "just for fun". (this may just be my negative view of people) I imagine there might be even worse dangers when the "right" person drives by. Do any of you carry a gun on the bike "just in case"? I was thinking of putting one in a cycle bag or something for cases of extreme distress. (I.E. - the scene from deliverance.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
First of all I am 6'6" tall and would like to get a mountain bike because while I will ride the local roads I intend to make use of some of the state parks biking trails that are described as "mountain biking trails".

What size frame should I get? Also,there are a lot of hills on the local roads (big hills). I know I will be walking them at first but as I develop I want to be able to bike up them. How many gears should I get?

For all of the above concerns go to a local bike shop to get the correct sized bike "fitted" (yes, bikes have to be adjusted i.e. 'fitted' to you) with solid advice on gearing etc. so that you can ride in comfort and safety. A MTB on the street needs a good set of "street" tires NOT the knobbies that come on MTB.

Do Not waste your money on a big box store bike!!

Road concerns-
What do you do about dogs? I am in a rural area where a lot of people do not contain their animals. Is there some sort of way to discourage them?

Another concern is the large number of people in our society that are "a-holes" and like to mess with people. I am going to be riding some remote roads with maybe a house every mile or two, lot of "odd" people in my area, a few might find it amusing to hassle a lone rider. Has anyone had to deal with that?

I could see people throwing their empty beer bottles or spitting chew on a rider "just for fun". (this may just be my negative view of people) I imagine there might be even worse dangers when the "right" person drives by. Do any of you carry a gun on the bike "just in case"? I was thinking of putting one in a cycle bag or something for cases of extreme distress. (I.E. - the scene from deliverance.....)

If you are this worried about all the issues noted above why bother riding a bicycle at all??? What you need is a tank or armored personnel carrier!!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the advice Grandpa pipes, I will have to research it some more and determine what kind of riding I will do the most of. I really want it for exercise and the majority of use will be on local roads but it would be nice to take it out to the state park on weekends and ride the trails.

Buying from a big box store... I gave up buying ANYTHING that isn't disposable from those places.

I didn't mean to come off as scared but there is a huge concern about dogs. I am wondering how other people deal with them.

As far as people problems, as a former boy scout I live by the "be prepared" motto. As a resident around here I KNOW there are people that LIVE to screw with other people. There are too many empty beer cans littering the roadways to make me think people will always behave in a rational manner and respect other people.

I still think it might be wise to carry protection for a "worst case situation".

Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM

"I still think it might be wise to carry protection for a "worst case situation"."

The only protection you need to carry on your bike is a spray bottle of pure liquid ammonia. Will stop the meanest dogs and stupidest humans.

Tip: aim for the nose or the eyes.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
To the OP, I used to live in Murfreesboro and I eventually just gave up on riding in the country, and only rode in town when I didn't own a car and had no choice. It wasn't the dogs that worried me, it was the people. When I bike commuted to work (which was only about four miles) I'd usually be harassed at least once or twice every week, and for half of my commute I wasn't even on the road! The ones who only yelled, honked their horns, or revved their engines were merely obnoxious. The ones who would throw things were my biggest concern. It's truly a terrible place to be a cyclist.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
To the OP, I used to live in Murfreesboro and I eventually just gave up on riding in the country, and only rode in town when I didn't own a car and had no choice. It wasn't the dogs that worried me, it was the people. When I bike commuted to work (which was only about four miles) I'd usually be harassed at least once or twice every week, and for half of my commute I wasn't even on the road! The ones who only yelled, honked their horns, or revved their engines were merely obnoxious. The ones who would throw things were my biggest concern. It's truly a terrible place to be a cyclist.
Thanks for making me appear a "little less" paranoid to people unfamiliar with this area. I am near the town of Wartrace up near Bedford lake. (Near Normandy lake) There is a GREAT network of small country roads in my area that would be perfect for riding. Very low traffic count and few homes.

Unfortunately there is something about some people in the area. I am not worried about the ones that will yell or honk, I am concerned about the ones that are stupid and will try physical B.S.

A lot of people don't realize how many plain old ignorant/stupid people there are in our society. I wouldn't have brought this concern up if I didn't consider it a real threat. Maybe I would get some of those cameras I have seen that records what happens, at least if someone throws something I would be able to capture the license plate and call the cops.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I carry when I ride early morning during hunting season while in the Mts. If legal you can put an end to any shenanigans by OPENLY displaying with a hip holster. Dogs don't like pepper spray and you can use your bike as a pretty good shield while giving them a blast. As stated above a helmet cam might be a perfect arrangement for the local F-T-ards.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
This will give you a rough idea of the frame size that you will need.

Mountain Bike Size Calculator

Mountain/hybrid frame fit isn't as critical as a road bike but it is still pretty important. What the calculator can't tell you is how to set your seat or if length of your handlebar stem. So you still should consider going to a competent bike shop that has a fitting bike so they can tailor all of your components to your frame. Unless you are still growing you can use the fitting for any future bike purchases regardless of manufactures.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I carry when I ride early morning during hunting season while in the Mts. If legal you can put an end to any shenanigans by OPENLY displaying with a hip holster. Dogs don't like pepper spray and you can use your bike as a pretty good shield while giving them a blast. As stated above a helmet cam might be a perfect arrangement for the local F-T-ards.
While pepper spray will work but not always and often not fast enough to keep you outta harms way.

This is why I always recommend pure grocery store liquid ammonia. Getting hit in the face with a blast of ammonia will make any dog or human wail in pain!!!! Ammonia brings an immediate halt to any offensive behaviors be they man or beast.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM

733 posts, read 987,427 times
Wartrace, I'm not sure about dogs, but I think I can safely speak for almost every cyclist in this country by affirming your fears that you will encounter at least some amount of obnoxious, dangerous, antagonizing, etc. behavior if you choose to commute on your bike.

I live in the middle of an ever-increasingly bike friendly city, and every cyclist I know will tell you that he/she deals with junk from motorists on a regular basis, whether it be intentional or merely the result of careless driving. You'll encounter it. The good news is, if you stick it out for just a bit, you'll probably get used to it enough that it's not a huge deal. You just learn to be uber-aware. Definitely be sure to light yourself up like a Christmas tree if you're on rural roads that people don't expect to or regularly see a cyclist using.

I've never had to worry about dogs, but the spray advice sounds like a decent plan. I've had some encounters with motorists that I would have liked to end with a little pepper spray to the face, haha, but I really don't think I have it in me to do that to someone unless I'm getting beat to death or something, hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling