Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,850,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Bikes here get ticketed. Sure some cyclists get away with infractions, but so do pedestrians and drivers in large numbers.
Ticketing cyclists in Dallas happens as well, and the fine is the same as motor vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,503,563 times
I'm a long way from all of you so imagine you're sitting in the passenger seat next to me and we'll go for a drive...

Back out the drive: Look out for passing traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, dogs, cats and anything else which may appear.
Drive into the city: Maintaining my position in my designated lane I constantly check mirrors and cars in lanes around me to ensure I have enough warning and room to manoeuvre should some idiot do something stupid.

Whilst driving I must be forever vigilant for speed signs {which vary dependant on what part of the city or what road one is driving} observe any workers which may be working on or near the roadway, observe any signage which may appear which are not normally there, I could risk looking at those flashing neon signs advertising anything and everything facing you, watch out for any pedestrian whom may not observe the appropriate pedestrian crossings, kids, motor bikes and the list goes on and on, besides changing lanes when nearing an intersection or roadway I need to turn into.

Also whilst driving I must avoid vehicles parked at curb side, THEN there is a bike lane OUTSIDE of that curb parking lane...WHAT THE...? Here the media pushes that motorists should keep 3 feet away from cyclists...HELLO...? that bike lane is only about 3 feet wide anyway so what do I do? That's right, I must straddle the lane line risking possibly sideswiping another vehicle to keep that 3 foot distance from the cyclist.

I got nothing against cyclists ~ BUT ~ if they want the same privileges as me in my vehicle, then best they start paying all those b l o o d y expenses I have to pay, ie; registrations and have rego plates fitted to the bike so I can sue your ar*e if you cause me any issue on the road, petrol I must pay, vehicle maintenance, insurances, licences, eye tests at a certain age and whatever else I have to pay for. I got enough to do and enough distractions driving to work safely, so if cyclists whinge about us motorists or whatever then I suggest they get the h e l l off the busy roads and cycle out in the country where there is no risk to ME in my vehicle!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,675,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
then best they start paying all those b l o o d y expenses I have to pay, ie; registrations and have rego plates fitted to the petrol I must pay, vehicle maintenance, insurances, licences, eye tests at a certain age and whatever else I have to pay for.
Despite all of these costs, rules and regs, it appears fools are still in abundance

Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I'm a long way from all of you so imagine you're sitting in the passenger seat next to me and we'll go for a drive...

Back out the drive: Look out for passing traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, dogs, cats and anything else which may appear.
Drive into the city: Maintaining my position in my designated lane I constantly check mirrors and cars in lanes around me to ensure I have enough warning and room to manoeuvre should some idiot do something stupid.

Whilst driving I must be forever vigilant for speed signs {which vary dependant on what part of the city or what road one is driving} observe any workers which may be working on or near the roadway, observe any signage which may appear which are not normally there, I could risk looking at those flashing neon signs advertising anything and everything facing you, watch out for any pedestrian whom may not observe the appropriate pedestrian crossings, kids, motor bikes and the list goes on and on, besides changing lanes when nearing an intersection or roadway I need to turn into.

Also whilst driving I must avoid vehicles parked at curb side, THEN there is a bike lane OUTSIDE of that curb parking lane...WHAT THE...? Here the media pushes that motorists should keep 3 feet away from cyclists...HELLO...? that bike lane is only about 3 feet wide anyway so what do I do? That's right, I must straddle the lane line risking possibly sideswiping another vehicle to keep that 3 foot distance from the cyclist.

I got nothing against cyclists ~ BUT ~ if they want the same privileges as me in my vehicle, then best they start paying all those b l o o d y expenses I have to pay, ie; registrations and have rego plates fitted to the bike so I can sue your ar*e if you cause me any issue on the road, petrol I must pay, vehicle maintenance, insurances, licences, eye tests at a certain age and whatever else I have to pay for. I got enough to do and enough distractions driving to work safely, so if cyclists whinge about us motorists or whatever then I suggest they get the h e l l off the busy roads and cycle out in the country where there is no risk to ME in my vehicle!!!
I'm glad you are a long way away. Beirut?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 AM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I'm glad you are a long way away. Beirut?
Fortunately for me I'm far enough

Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Fortunately for me I'm far enough
That's good. Our prisons are full enough.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,989,974 times
The notion that cyclists are "arrogant" needs to be dispelled.

People trying to get around in a cheap, environmentally friendly, and healthy way is not arrogant.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM

100 posts, read 270,509 times
I believe there are a handful of the arrogant cyclists out there but their numbers are small. Unfortunately what happens is a motorist has just one encounter with one of those "arrogant" types and the negative experience of that is far more prevalent than any others, thus cyclists might get stereotyped by the motorist. I am probably going to get flamed for saying this but I feel a lot of these issues stem from poor infrastructure design (or a complete lack of) that supports safe and efficient cycling.

I see on these forums a fair amount of contention between cyclists and motorists which can be useful. As a cyclist I feel it is important to hear what sort of issues motorists are having with bicycle riders or certain roads. It would be nice to see less focus on who is right/wrong, who owns the road, who must have been asking for it, and instead find more avenues (pun intended) for motorists and cyclists to communicate and share the roads safely.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8o8state View Post
I believe there are a handful of the arrogant cyclists out there but their numbers are small. Unfortunately what happens is a motorist has just one encounter with one of those "arrogant" types and the negative experience of that is far more prevalent than any others, thus cyclists might get stereotyped by the motorist. I am probably going to get flamed for saying this but I feel a lot of these issues stem from poor infrastructure design (or a complete lack of) that supports safe and efficient cycling.

I see on these forums a fair amount of contention between cyclists and motorists which can be useful. As a cyclist I feel it is important to hear what sort of issues motorists are having with bicycle riders or certain roads. It would be nice to see less focus on who is right/wrong, who owns the road, who must have been asking for it, and instead find more avenues (pun intended) for motorists and cyclists to communicate and share the roads safely.
The second paragraph is about the most intelligent thing I've read here.

As a motorist travelling in the city one has to be observant of other cars, motorbikes, rigid trucks, semi's, buses, tourists towing caravans, vehicles towing boats, potential idiot drivers, motorbikes lane hopping in front of you, being forever vigilant of traffic lights changing, roadways which are 30 years behind the times for the volume of traffic etc etc so is it any wonder I for one do not wish to negotiate around, and be mindful of cyclists, I have enough already trying to distract me while I focus on motoring through the city.

I have even seen a group of cyclists taking up the entire lane out on the highway - now THAT'S arrogance, or a death wish.

I believe the animosity toward the cyclist stems from all the crap one has to contend with on the road, be it country or city, but mostly in the city. They just add to an already over congested and bad situation.

A couple of years ago here someone decided to paint a bike lane right up to an intersection that for years had provision for two cars, one to turn left and one to turn right. I spoke to the police suggesting a potential bottleneck of vehicles and hazard to the cyclist ~ the bike lane has subsequently been painted out 20 odd metres from that intersection.

Don't know about where you folk are, but here the roadways simply do not accommodate bike lanes mixed in with vehicular traffic, and that's one of the reasons motorists are getting their backs up here, it's creating more hazards for the motorist - as if the motorist hasn't got enough already. If others don't experience this, then all I can say is...They are lucky.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,675,672 times
Quote:
and that's one of the reasons motorists are getting their backs up here, it's creating more hazards for the motorist - as if the motorist hasn't got enough already.
Im with ya

All those 180lb or so bicycles totaling cars and killing the drivers when they "swerve into" them.
All those texting and drunk cyclists jacking our insurance rates up and causing traffic jams at rush hour.
I feel yer pain, bro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling