Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times

Advertisements

While my expectations were not high, I am actually somewhat shocked at the extent of this

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...two-bills.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Any new laws are a problem as selective enforcement is the rule, not the exception; and I always seem to find myself on the wrong end of it. That is, I get the penalties but not the protection.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Cyclists do need to change how they are perceived but one thing is for sure, so much of the negative perception is based on the behavior of the bicyclist.

Take the cyclist who ran over and killed a man in SF. The defense? The pedestrian was walking in the crosswalk against a red don't walk sign. That isn't a given because there is enough evidence to take the cyclist to trial since the reports are that he ran a red light (very common for cyclist to do by the way).

Either way, red do not walk light or not, a pedestrian always has the right of way, period. There are no ifs, and, or buts, the pedestrian has the right of way. In California and probably in a lot of other places, cyclists think they are above most traffic laws, until it comes time for someone else to obey them. Routinely cyclists ride on pedestrian walkways when there are bike lanes present, rarely have a bell but choose instead to scream "on your left" at the same time they are already on your left traveling at high rates of speed, ride two or more abreast and then take to task a pedestrian who might walk with another abreast but taking no more than half the walkway.

Cyclists are becoming a scourge. They present arrogance, disrespect, disobey traffic laws and in general could care less about others.

Notice those "share the road" stickers with the car and bike depicted? Notice how cyclists never have a sticker that says share the walkways? Yeah, they think every walkway is their roadway. Long ago they forgot that it is people first, then bikes.

Bike riders should pay a license fee, carry insurance and be required to obey traffic laws or get ticketed just like everyone else. In some cities, people get ticketed for jaywalking yet bicyclists routinely run red lights as they please and usually without consequence.

You reap what you sow.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
^^So how much coverage (insurance) should a 6yr old carry?
collision. bodily injury, comprehensive , deductible etc etc...

How much should a family of 4 pay for bicycle insurance?
while there are still states that do not require motor vehicle insurance.

A bell doesn't tell the walker what side the biker is passing on, "on your left" does.
All a bell does is make noise and make the walker jump right is front of you.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,662,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Cyclists do need to change how they are perceived but one thing is for sure, so much of the negative perception is based on the behavior of the bicyclist.

T
Cyclists are becoming a scourge. They present arrogance, disrespect, disobey traffic laws and in general could care less about others.

- - - - - - be required to obey traffic laws or get ticketed just like everyone else. In some cities, people get ticketed for jaywalking yet bicyclists routinely run red lights as they please and usually without consequence.

You reap what you sow.
Cycling is my lifestyle, but I am not a 'cyclist'.
Cyclists in large part have themselves to blame for the no-respect issues they have.
A high percentage of car people are violent ingrates, for sure, but cyclists do their part to keep things inflamed between the two religious sects.

If one doesnt use lights, has ever run a stop light / sign in front of a stopped car, yelled at someone or been in a group 'training' ride at 5:00pm on a busy road, they are our problem

That said, Ive lived in many, many places and never, never seen enforcement of traffic laws in any urban environment. Your "obey traffic laws or get ticketed just like everyone else." is a fantasy world only you live in. I think it would be great if EVERYONE got ticketed, but it will never happen.
The difference is --HUGE-- difference, is that bike riders dont kill thousands of people a year while they are texting or riding drunk, or angry and in a hurry. Car people created the mess they complain about but dont want to take responsibility for it or do anything to change their own behaviors, but ridiculously enough--expect peds and bike riders to, for them. R i i i i i g h t . . .

Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
Quote:
Either way, red do not walk light or not, a pedestrian always has the right of way, period. There are no ifs, and, or buts, the pedestrian has the right of way.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying if a pedestrian crosses against a red light and is hit by a truck who didn't see him in time the truck is at fault? I don't think it works that way.

I've seen people walk against the light at intersections and almost get hit by traffic. I assumed they were jaywalking. Also endangering themselves and traffic. I don't think it is as cut and dry as you stated.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
^^So how much coverage (insurance) should a 6yr old carry?
collision. bodily injury, comprehensive , deductible etc etc...

How much should a family of 4 pay for bicycle insurance?
while there are still states that do not require motor vehicle insurance.

A bell doesn't tell the walker what side the biker is passing on, "on your left" does.
All a bell does is make noise and make the walker jump right is front of you.
Oh please, if the bell rings behind you and you are walking on the right side, what side could it be on other than the left, either than or they are about to run you over. No wonder more and more people are seeing bicyclists as problems.

A bell does not make people jump out in front of you. Do you pull out in front of a car using it's horn? What is it with the logic of bicyclists that see not to want to do anything to make things better but instead simply argue for doing nothing?

What good does "On Your Left" do when they are already on your left? Explain that one, I'll agree if you can make some sense.

Now explain how someone riding a bike at say 20-25 mph shouting "on your left" can:

1. Scream it from a distance far enough to give adequate notice to the walker;
2. Scream it loud enough to be heard from that distance;
3. Manage to get enough air to say much of anything but a whine.

You don't get it do you? 20-25 mph, you riding your bike coming up behind someone, maybe elderly and you screaming at the top of your lungs, ON YOUR LEFT!. Oh yeah, that should really help.

People are accustomed to hearing bells and horns, not people screaming from behind them just as the bicyclist doing so passes them.

Your excuses only serve to highlight the problem and perception. Go ahead, read what you wrote and think about it. That arrogant attitude will get you nowhere and only serves to reinforce what so many people are thinking of bicyclists these days, entitlement gone amok.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Not sure I understand. Are you saying if a pedestrian crosses against a red light and is hit by a truck who didn't see him in time the truck is at fault? I don't think it works that way.

I've seen people walk against the light at intersections and almost get hit by traffic. I assumed they were jaywalking. Also endangering themselves and traffic. I don't think it is as cut and dry as you stated.
A pedestrian crossing the street at a cross walk aways has the right of way. Always. The reason is simple:

Ever see a blind person? Ever see a small child?

The driver of a vehicle is always at fault if they hit a pedestrian who is in a crosswalk. Some people walk slowly and can't make it across before the walk/don't walk light turns red. You are saying it would not be the fault of the vehicle driver? Have you thought that through?

My goodness, such callousness when thinking about people who walk. When a pedestrian enters a crosswalk, the driver of a vehicle must stop, period. There is no if this or that, you are required to stop and allow the pedestrian to cross.

It is the driver's responsibility to see where the heck they are going. If you don't see the pedestrian it means you weren't looking. There can't be another reason. Anything else is an excuse. You might not like it but that is the way it works. People first, then cars. People first, then bicycles. In case you didn't notice, you are included as people.

What if you had a broken leg and on crutches. You start out and just can't get across the street. It isn't the fault of the driver if they don't see you? Since when?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Cycling is my lifestyle, but I am not a 'cyclist'.
Cyclists in large part have themselves to blame for the no-respect issues they have.
A high percentage of car people are violent ingrates, for sure, but cyclists do their part to keep things inflamed between the two religious sects.

If one doesnt use lights, has ever run a stop light / sign in front of a stopped car, yelled at someone or been in a group 'training' ride at 5:00pm on a busy road, they are our problem

That said, Ive lived in many, many places and never, never seen enforcement of traffic laws in any urban environment. Your "obey traffic laws or get ticketed just like everyone else." is a fantasy world only you live in. I think it would be great if EVERYONE got ticketed, but it will never happen.
The difference is --HUGE-- difference, is that bike riders dont kill thousands of people a year while they are texting or riding drunk, or angry and in a hurry. Car people created the mess they complain about but dont want to take responsibility for it or do anything to change their own behaviors, but ridiculously enough--expect peds and bike riders to, for them. R i i i i i g h t . . .
The meaning was this: Equal ticketing, not that everyone get ticketed for everything. The difference being that if a driver of a motor vehicle gets a ticket for running a red light, if observed by the police, the bike should as well if they run a red light.

Not saying no slack, saying the same slack. Not ever saying no consideration for bike riders, saying the same consideration.

Mostly saying, that bike riders should give peds the same considerations they demand, which they seldom do.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
Ho, please,
Ring ring,
Now what way is the pedestrian going to go(jump) as I startle them?
Ring ring...
They have no idea I'm on the left will they go right?
ring... ouch fu... dam....

On your left.
The pedestrian now doesn't jump to the left.

It was considerate of the biker to tell the pedestrian so a collision is avoided.

You really needed it explained?

Quote:
Oh please, if the bell rings behind you and you are walking on the right side, what side could it be on other than the left, either than or they are about to run you over. No wonder more and more people are seeing bicyclists as problems.

A bell does not make people jump out in front of you. Do you pull out in front of a car using it's horn? What is it with the logic of bicyclists that see not to want to do anything to make things better but instead simply argue for doing nothing?

What good does "On Your Left" do when they are already on your left? Explain that one, I'll agree if you can make some sense.

Now explain how someone riding a bike at say 20-25 mph shouting "on your left" can:

1. Scream it from a distance far enough to give adequate notice to the walker;
2. Scream it loud enough to be heard from that distance;
3. Manage to get enough air to say much of anything but a whine.
Ho, please, you don't really get it.
Your going 25mph on a sidewalk with pedestrians.

Whooo big fella.

And ring ring is going to do what exactly?

Quote:
You don't get it do you? 20-25 mph, you riding your bike coming up behind someone, maybe elderly and you screaming at the top of your lungs, ON YOUR LEFT!. Oh yeah, that should really help.

Your aggression is why I left the road for the trail.
Your zealous attitude of elitism astounds.
You are truly clueless
I have read your posts and mr. Rant is your copilot.

Quote:
Your excuses only serve to highlight the problem and perception. Go ahead, read what you wrote and think about it. That arrogant attitude will get you nowhere and only serves to reinforce what so many people are thinking of bicyclists these days, entitlement gone amok.

ring ring from 59ft at 25mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling