Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Parents hire coaches to teach bike-riding to children - Washington Times

OMG!!! Really? I have no problem with someone trying to earn an honest paycheck. I do have a problem with the fact that some parents are so ignorant that they can't teach their child how to ride a bicycle. My parents started me off with training wheels that had an adjustable height. Dad started off with the training wheels lowered all the way down. Gradually, he would raise the height of the training wheels and gauge my skills. Once he felt I had enough riding skills, he removed the training wheels and calmly and patiently got me riding without wheels. If I fell, I fell. No drama. The article said the problem with the kid mentioned in the article was fear. I wonder if the kid generated the fear on his own or did he pick it up from over protective and worrying parents. In my youth, parents accepted that kids had accidents. They fell down, they scraped their knees and elbows, and they sometimes broke bones. Parents didn't make every little boo boo a traumatic ER visit. If a kid is so fearful or unskilled that they require the aid of a professional coach to teach them to ride a bicycle, how likely are they to move onto motor scooters or motorcycles? How likely are they to become a very bad driver due to fears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
IMHO the fear is the parents, not the kids. I started riding with a tricycle and kept crashing every time I tried to turn. Getting a bicycle was a revelation not to mention a lot safer.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Some one has more money than parenting skills. That is a shame.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:34 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
The way I see many adults ride bicycles, this is probably a good thing. Maybe a "coach" will actually teach them to obey traffic laws (like stop signs/red lights), to ride on the right side of the road and to show some courtesy for others on the road. These were all things we did when I road as a kid/teen, but seem to be lost on today's "adult" bicyclists.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Parents hire coaches to teach bike-riding to children - Washington Times

OMG!!! Really? I have no problem with someone trying to earn an honest paycheck. I do have a problem with the fact that some parents are so ignorant that they can't teach their child how to ride a bicycle. My parents started me off with training wheels that had an adjustable height. Dad started off with the training wheels lowered all the way down. Gradually, he would raise the height of the training wheels and gauge my skills. Once he felt I had enough riding skills, he removed the training wheels and calmly and patiently got me riding without wheels. If I fell, I fell. No drama. The article said the problem with the kid mentioned in the article was fear. I wonder if the kid generated the fear on his own or did he pick it up from over protective and worrying parents. In my youth, parents accepted that kids had accidents. They fell down, they scraped their knees and elbows, and they sometimes broke bones. Parents didn't make every little boo boo a traumatic ER visit. If a kid is so fearful or unskilled that they require the aid of a professional coach to teach them to ride a bicycle, how likely are they to move onto motor scooters or motorcycles? How likely are they to become a very bad driver due to fears?
So what does a parent do that does not know how to ride a bike? My wife never learned so how could she possibly teach anybody how to ride.
I always knew how to ride but our son had the some fears he got from his mother and he took a while to learn.

So what would you suggest to parents who don't know how to ride. People who grow up in the city also learn how to drive much later in life because they have no need for cars.

BTW I never needed training wheels.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
I learned on my brother's bicycle and never had one of my own. I probably didn't ask. Can't remember. I preferred skating on our very long concrete driveway.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Maybe this belongs in the "Cycling" forum. Just a thought.

But speaking of coaching, I'm on my way to becoming a MSF RiderCoach™. Just a few more hoops to jump through, about 60 hours of instruction, and some supervised classes, and I'm in!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,966 times
They also hire psychiatrist to raise their children, but that's a separate problem.

$90 a lesson? I'm in. Taught two of mine to ride, they were both scared. Great way to make money, if it takes off.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
I figured it out in less than an hour on my own. I taught my younger brothers by shoving them down a hill. Sure we got all skinned up, but it was fun. I guess kids do it different these days.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I figured it out in less than an hour on my own. I taught my younger brothers by shoving them down a hill. Sure we got all skinned up, but it was fun. I guess kids do it different these days.
When I was a kid I used to push a bicycle around while my sister and cousins rode theirs. One day my uncle decided to push me around and then he let go, and at that moment I learned to ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling