Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:02 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought a bike in decades and want to spend $500 ish for nice used MB/road bike as I am open to both.

Do most keep their original receipt or maybe only deal with a bike shop no private party?

I am open to spending more if I could land a good deal but then it seems even more necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
If you plan to buy off of Craigslist, then you find a LBS that will help you.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:50 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I haven't bought a bike in decades and want to spend $500 ish for nice used MB/road bike as I am open to both.

Do most keep their original receipt or maybe only deal with a bike shop no private party?

I am open to spending more if I could land a good deal but then it seems even more necessary.
When you write MB/road bike, are you wanting either/or or are you wanting a hybrid of the two? Seeing what is available in the used market in that price range for hybrids and MBs are in many cases make more sense just getting "new" at your LBS. For what you can get for $500 will be so much better that what you remember riding from decades ago. I was looking for a friend that wanted to get back into cycling but not wanting to spend a lot of money. I checked out the consignment area of used bikes at my LBS. looking in that price range, while the offering was pretty good and the shop would "tune" it and make sure everything was in working order, it was what you didn't get that made it less attractive, such as warranty work and follow up servicing, neither of which came with used bikes. Also components such as stems, seat posts, or maybe even saddles (in some cases) etc., could be swapped out to improve fit. Also available with a purchase of new were discounts on all the accessories you would need with the purchase that would not be available with purchasing one of the consignment bikes. When you get in the $3000 - $6000 range, you can really find a gem in the consignment area. That is where I got my Tommasini, a $2600 frame and fork but then I got the complete bike for $1400. I also found a Serotta full Ti Concours normally a $3000 frame (without the fork) and it was a complete built up bike for $1700, probably $5000± when purchased new. But for the $500 range, not so much.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-23-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
When you write MB/road bike, are you wanting either/or or are you wanting a hybrid of the two? Seeing what is available in the used market in that price range for hybrids and MBs are in many cases make more sense just getting "new" at your LBS. For what you can get for $500 will be so much better that what you remember riding from decades ago. I was looking for a friend that wanted to get back into cycling but not wanting to spend a lot of money. I checked out the consignment area of used bikes at my LBS. looking in that price range, while the offering was pretty good and the shop would "tune" it and make sure everything was in working order, it was what you didn't get that made it less attractive, such as warranty work and follow up servicing, neither of which came with used bikes. Also components such as stems, seat posts, or maybe even saddles (in some cases) etc., could be swapped out to improve fit. Also available with a purchase of new were discounts on all the accessories you would need with the purchase that would not be available with purchasing one of the consignment bikes. When you get in the $3000 - $6000 range, you can really find a gem in the consignment area. That is where I got my Tommasini, a $2600 frame and fork but then I got the complete bike for $1400. I also found a Serotta full Ti Concours normally a $3000 frame (without the fork) and it was a complete built up bike for $1700, probably $5000± when purchased new. But for the $500 range, not so much.
Thanks. I am looking to find new ways to exercise and loved MB years back so I would consider either a MB or a good used road bike around $500. Road biking may add stress with all the traffic so I don't know that's a good idea just trying to find alt ways to exercise over the gym/swim in ocean.

When I looked recently a seller was selling his 2500 MB MSRP Fischer for $500 showing the wear and tear and giving it below market value.....which got me thinking who determines BB on a bike?

IF it's more than $500 I may just rent a few times to make sure it's worth spending the money.

It seems no matter what the LBS is going to be a good place to start.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I had 1/2 ton of bike parts in my collection of junk and my son wanted a bike but not something home made and I warned him any thing new is going to get stolen.
His new bike didn't last a week .
The latest and greatest is going to be hot merchandise on the open market.
Falshy stuff attracts the wrong attention. mostly predators .
My advise, build something unique and use an old style frame seat and bars to accentuate it.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I had 1/2 ton of bike parts in my collection of junk and my son wanted a bike but not something home made and I warned him any thing new is going to get stolen.
His new bike didn't last a week .
The latest and greatest is going to be hot merchandise on the open market.
Falshy stuff attracts the wrong attention. mostly predators .
My advise, build something unique and use an old style frame seat and bars to accentuate it.
Thanks I remember back in the day U lock and cable but now you can't buy Freon in CA so less of a prob.......I won't be locking this up ride in public hardly at all, and return to garage with u lock in tire so I can leave door open for more than 2 min

I just called around to try and rent....wow $50-75 day for a good MB to try

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
When I bought my road bike in the used market, it took tons of research and couple of months of searching.
Bicycle bluebook was my best friend during this time

Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I have two 21 speed mountain bikes sitting in the barn that I will gladly sell for $75 each.
They both have front and rear suspension, and are not beat up in any way. IIRC, they both have aluminum frames.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
When I bought my road bike in the used market, it took tons of research and couple of months of searching.
Bicycle bluebook was my best friend during this time
Thanks really helpful

Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Buy some cloth tape and tape the frame so it looks like a beater. a cable lock will ensure the rims stay with the bike and remove anything quick release with nuts and bolts. Make it look like a beater for a better chance of no one messing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling