Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:31 PM

549 posts, read 292,288 times

Advertisements

I'm considering commuting to the gym by bike. Gym has a bike rack out front, similar to the one in the pic below.

... So I'm in the market for a good bike lock.

What's the best bike lock to save my bike (including the detachable front wheel) from thieves?

Anyone have experience with these kinds of bike racks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
I found that a good quality cable lock to be most versatile for me...and I still have my bike. I can run it through the rear wheel within the rear frame triangle and through the front wheel. It's long enough to not make removing the front wheel necessary although I could. What I like about the cable is that I can run it through the seat rails when I have my bike with the QR post, or even the helmet-holes if I don't want to carry the helmet with me.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
What I like about the cable is that I can run it through the seat rails when I have my bike with the QR post, or even the helmet-holes if I don't want to carry the helmet with me.
Good points. Doing my internet research on the subject, I'm a little sad to learn that people will actually steal bicycle seats. What a world.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
I've been using a U-lock and a cable for years. I used to just use the cable. Used just the cable for many years without a problem. Then one night the bike was stolen at school. The security guard told me nobody messed with U-locks.

So I purchased a U-lock and used it mostly. Then one day going into a convenience store I had forgot the U-lock. Used the cable lock. In and out maybe 2 min. The bike was gone.

So my advice is get both types. And try to park the bike where you can see it or a lot of people will see it. If there is a security camera watching the rack that's even better.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I commute daily. I used to use a cable only and it was cut and bike was stolen...even though bike was a POS that didn't shift and brakes were almost shot. I have had lights stolen off my bike as I learned about what gets stolen...now lights attached to helmet. My seat has never been stolen.

I currently use a U Lock and cable combo. I can't remember the diameter, but they are fatter than the standard bolt cutters thieves use. For me, this has worked. My friend uses the same thing and he commutes on a $1,000+ bike (crazy...but has worked for him for a year so far), while my bike is ~$250.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
So my advice is get both types. And try to park the bike where you can see it or a lot of people will see it. If there is a security camera watching the rack that's even better.
Any advice on how to carry the locks?

As I understand it, ULocks mount to the bike in various spots, depending on the brand.

What's the best way to mount the ULock to the bike? (I don't want to carry it in my backpack, for example...)

See examples below:

???

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Mine is similar to the last pic. The cable is the big pain in the $%^. I've had it in my bag and attached to the ULock, both suck in my opinion.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,775 times
Those pictures are all good ways of mounting a u-lock to a bike. There is no right or wrong way, as you acknowledged bikes are different, so a mounting solution that works on one bike might not work on another.

Like you, I don't like carrying the u-lock in a backpack either. Every ounce counts when hefting a backpack, and the u-locks are heavy-ish especially after miles & miles of having the backpack straps dig into your shoulders.

Last year I finally ditched the backpack & bike mounts, I just travel everywhere with saddlebags/panniers. I store the u-lock & cable lock in pannier pocket.

If you get a u-lock, remember to lubricate the lock mechanism/tumblers every few weeks with WD-40. My first u-lock I didn't know that was recommended for maintenance, and after two years my lock jammed up and became inoperable. Thankfully the lock company replaced it for me just that once for free but counseled me to keep the new tumblers lubed.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
I had a hard time getting the U-lock into the diamond. But someone online said they used a pvc tube on their rack. Here's my adaptation:

near 71st Ave by res1due, on Flickr

That's a pvc tube, duct tape and zip ties. I was carrying the lock in my pack that day. Here's a pic of the bike with the lock.

The Grand Canal by res1due, on Flickr

The downside to my system is the lock rattles. OTOH I don't need a bell. People here me coming from 50 ft away. When I want stealth mode I put the lock in my pack.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Yup, like others said – Ulock and a cable is best. A thief won’t usually be carrying tools to bust through both. And the few that do, well, you’re not going to stop them.

Other trick is to lock your bike in different places. A thief who sees your ride day in and day out in the same place at the same time can easily target the bike. And, they’ll see the locks it has so they will bring tools to bust both if they want it bad enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling