Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:11 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,815 times

Advertisements

So my son showed me a Trek Bike with the decals "SRC" on the cross bar today. I don't know what type of bike it is classified as. It has the following components on it:

Avid 3D shifters
Rock Shox Judy TT front fork
Paralax wheel Hubs
Promax Brakes
Shimano Nexave Front derailer
Shimano Deore XT rear derailer
Bontrager handle bars

Says "SLR" Alpha Superlite Race on one crossbar

26 inch wheels X 2.0. Tires look like a crossover treads not all street.

My question is, is this a on road or off road or light trail, mountain bike???

Any info would be appreciated and it looks real clean Any way to know a good buying price?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Trek Police?

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...cebike/details

It's that era, anyway. Judy TT was mid 2000s and they switched to Alpha Black/White marketing in the later 2000s. Basically a Trek 4500, so it's an XC mountain bike.

Price is tough. Used bike prices are crazy. It might get $250-300 on Craiglist or eBay. No way I'd touch it for that much, maybe $100 or less if I found it at a garage sale. Unless I knew the history I'd replace the tires and tubes, $50. I'm not riding around on 10 year old tires. Chain and brake pads if they haven't been replaced need to be just due to age. Look for any frayed cabling, check if the wheels are true, run in through the gears. If it isn't shifting right and rattling it could just need adjustment, cassette may be worn, chain may be worn. Those are minor. It could also be the shifters or derailleurs though which is more expensive. Basic tuneup at a bike shop will run $60-100 + parts. Rebuilding might cost $150-300 plus parts depending what needs to be replaced. In other words, if it's worn out it'd just be cheaper to buy a new bike unless you're going to do it yourself.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:33 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
I bought a new bike last year from a local shop. You dont have to spend big bucks to get a decent bike. You usually get a couple of free tune ups too, if needed. Everything will be true and function correctly. but I do my own. And later if you do need parts, they are readily available and not that expensive.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Pound the thrifts, you can get a deal. I have thrifted many bikes of over the years. (I am always surprised at how people don't post pics)

I got this one new years ever for $42 (I had gift cards so I didn't spend anything)

Old 11-11-2019, 10:10 PM

61 posts, read 31,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Pound the thrifts, you can get a deal. I have thrifted many bikes of over the years. (I am always surprised at how people don't post pics)

I got this one new years ever for $42 (I had gift cards so I didn't spend anything)
Great looks classy, I also have some type of bike but the color is not Silver Grey, I have modified with my garage person

Old 01-06-2020, 09:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,922 times
Looking for mountain bike for your son I assume?? Look for a 2008 -2012 Giant Trance or Giant Anthem in good condition.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...048745302.html

If it's not shifting or the forks are leaking then haggle a bit and ask the owner to come down by the cost of the repairs.

That Gary Fisher that Digger posted is good one as well, though full suspension bikes are way way more fun.

For the bike in question I would not pay more than $50. Sounds like a hard tail and the fact that it has a Rock Shox Judy on it tells me that it's really old.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:13 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
That’s obviously a great deal, a steal at that price, a Gary Fisher hardtail! You can’t go wrong with that and I can see the tires are in great shape and it looks like the bike was hardly ever used. It’s also not that old since it has disc brakes and I believe they are mechanicals, not hydraulic, so they are easier for a novice to maintain.

I would have jumped on it for that price as well, good find!

Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
OP, sounds like a typical turn-of-the-century, basic cross-country mountain bike.

First thing I'd do before setting rubber on the road/trail is ditch the Promax brakes and upgrade to Avid BB7. Promax components leave China bad and get worse with use, and considering when this bike was from they may be completely shot. Putting new tires/tubes on might not be a bad idea, either. And pretty much everything else Malloric said in his reply.

...Oh, and get a kickstand.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-07-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
OP, sounds like a typical turn-of-the-century, basic cross-country mountain bike.

First thing I'd do before setting rubber on the road/trail is ditch the Promax brakes and upgrade to Avid BB7. Promax components leave China bad and get worse with use, and considering when this bike was from they may be completely shot. Putting new tires/tubes on might not be a bad idea, either. And pretty much everything else Malloric said in his reply.

...Oh, and get a kickstand.
Bike may be completely shot? The bike looks like it was hardly ever used and changing brake pads takes about 5 minutes for a novice and about $18 for parts +/-.

Put a kick stand on a mtn bike? Guess you not a biker!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
Reread my post. I didn't say the bike was shot, I said the brakes probably are. They're Promax brakes. Promax are some of the cheapest, crappest garbage OEM components in existence. There's no valid reason at all not to upgrade to something more reliable and higher-performance like an Avid system.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-07-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling