Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Fred - Person that rides or dresses like a novice. In the most extreme case: cut-offs, T-shirt and tennis/running shoes, no helmet, can't hold a line in a group ride or rides in the wrong lane all together, where walkers are supposed to be (against traffic), etc.

Do not wear red and yellow bike shorts! DO not click if you have sensitive eyes. You have been warned.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eJZ3npcZx1...e_shorts_1.jpg

RUnners that develop bad knees soon can experience the joys of cycling. In fact that is what we tell runners, that soon they will be riding with us. And then their knees will most likely get back in shape.
Funny picture, I fear I would look just like that, and wouldn’t be able to look my neighbors in the face. That part of Fred I may be. The rest I am glad to say I am not.
I waited too late to avoid the surgery, but do hope to keep the good knee as manufactured, and rebuild the strength around the remanufactured knee. I have to say the repair has been nothing short of great. I hate I waited so long to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Funny picture, I fear I would look just like that, and wouldn’t be able to look my neighbors in the face. That part of Fred I may be. The rest I am glad to say I am not.
I waited too late to avoid the surgery, but do hope to keep the good knee as manufactured, and rebuild the strength around the remanufactured knee. I have to say the repair has been nothing short of great. I hate I waited so long to get it done.
And don't even get me started on white kits. If you get the lycra shorts, stick with black As you get more into the sport. You will learn not to skimp of anything that touches your body between you and the bike - shorts, shoes, gloves, and even saddles.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,571 times
What you do is you get some courderroy cargo shorts, and a jean jacket, aviator sunglasses, and a circa 1900 'motoring/aviation helmet' made of leather, like russian tank drivers. Facial hair shall be lambchops which work their way into a handlebar moustach, and a long soul patch. Ready to cycle. Just picture a metronome in your head and ride along with that.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,999 times
There's a few baggy bike shorts (with padding, of course) in stores like REI... They look very hip, but I can't say that I've ever seen anyone wear them when riding in a group.

Spin class at the gym works for me, for training during bad weather (like now, when it's regularly +100 degrees in Houston )

I'm a bentrider, so don't have the usual anatomic issues that uprights have to contend with, like should pains, groin pains, wrist pains, back pains....)

Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
There's a few baggy bike shorts (with padding, of course) in stores like REI... They look very hip, but I can't say that I've ever seen anyone wear them when riding in a group.

Spin class at the gym works for me, for training during bad weather (like now, when it's regularly +100 degrees in Houston )

I'm a bentrider, so don't have the usual anatomic issues that uprights have to contend with, like should pains, groin pains, wrist pains, back pains....)
We have a bent guy in our club. He has his jerseys tailored with the pockets in the front.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
The main thing for men to remember is that the less sewn seams we have in the crotch area, the better when bike riding. Same goes for anything that tends to bunch up - boxer shorts, for example.

I began riding l-o-n-g before they began making biking clothes specifically for the sport. And I was plagued by the usual problems males suffer from since the only men's underwear available were either jockey shorts or boxers. Neither of which are suited to riding on the saddle I've always preferred - a Brook's Professional leather one. I have these saddles on all of my bikes - even the off road ones.

What I learned - way back then in the early 1970s - was that PROFESSIONAL racing cyclists overcame this problem by wearing lady's nylon panties. And in combination with nylon running shorts (with the inner lining removed), I rode comfortably this way for many years! Then along came the nylon bikinis for men, and I no longer had to be wary of undressing in front of non-professional bikers!

What I now wear and really like are some Jockey brand "stretch" briefs that I have no qualms about wearing as my ONLY layer during the summer months. These undershorts come in several leg lengths and I've had no one say a word to me about wearing my underwear exposed. In winter I wear some sort of material that "bleeds off" sweat - can't recall what it is - and these too are tights intended as underwear. But I wear the pants as my outerwear.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 PM

I still have Performance wool shorts from the 80s.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,571 times
Which is worse, looking like an amateur and being serious or having all of the best equipment and bells and whistles and being a scrub?

Old 08-15-2009, 05:08 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Which is worse, (a) looking like an amateur and being serious or (b) having all of the best equipment and bells and whistles and being a scrub?
(b)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
Which is worse, looking like an amateur and being serious or having all of the best equipment and bells and whistles and being a scrub?
When an amateur gets serious, they will learn the benefits of the best equipment and riding right. The scrubs never learn and end up having very expensive towel racks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling