Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:53 PM

46 posts, read 65,021 times

Advertisements

I currently have a Mercier Kilo TT that I've converted into a commuter with a rack and panniers, but there are times where I want to carry more than what the bike can handle. Sometimes it's just too much stuff, and other times the weight makes the bike ride weird.

I'm considering getting a cargo bike (extended rear wheel like the Surly Big Dummy, not the front basket type) so I can go to Costco, take (future) kids, etc, and use the Kilo for rainy days only, but am not sure if I will regret the weight and size of the bike on regular commutes. My commute is about 15-20 miles a day.

For anyone who does have a cargo bike, what has been your experience with it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 03:23 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
What about a trailer? You still need to expend the energy to move the added weight, but you won't need to add weight to the bike itself and have the option of just hitching it up when expecting a bigger haul and unhitching it the rest of the time. Less expensive than a new and heavier bike.

https://www.treehugger.com/best-bike...ailers-5201531

Old 12-01-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What about a trailer? You still need to expend the energy to move the added weight, but you won't need to add weight to the bike itself and have the option of just hitching it up when expecting a bigger haul and unhitching it the rest of the time. Less expensive than a new and heavier bike.

https://www.treehugger.com/best-bike...ailers-5201531
My main issue with trailers are that they're even longer and the extra axle rides different than a long tail bike, and it's harder to lock up outside a store.

It would be quite a bit cheaper than another bicycle, but I also want a backup as I ride daily and my bike is already needing some maintenance.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
From what I can tell from looking at the bike you have, it seems like the cargo bike is going to be MUCH heavier. My bike isn’t particularly lightweight, but I think the average cargo bike is almost 2x the weight. My sister and husband commute about the same distance as you and they are all about minimizing the weight.

I’d suggest considering an e-bike if you want to have a cargo bike that is ok for commuting. Apparently Rad Power bikes get good reviews and the cost isn’t that much different from a traditional cargo bike from other brands. I think there are also converter kits you can get for traditional bikes- I think there is even one now that will work to convert a regular bike to an e-bike, but they have the front basket. If I were in your situation, I’d take a look at the cargo e-bike option.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:26 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
My two-wheeler for the past 4 years has been a Surly Troll all-purpose bike. Two of the past 4 years I was living in Germany, car-free and used the bike as my main transportation vehicle around town (Chemnitz). My Troll has Schwalbe Big Ben 26"x2.15" balloon tires, which roll good over rough pavement, cobblestones and non-paved roads. Fully loaded bike weight with rack, fenders, dynamo-powered lights and typical emergency tools and tubes in a pannier is about 45 lbs / 20.5 kg. With the balloon tires, I can easily carry and additional 30+ pounds in panniers on my cargo rack.

OP, how is the terrain where you commute and would use the cargo bike? Flat or gentle terrain, moderately hilly, or tough hills all over? I understand your need for a backup bike. I was a daily, year-round bike commuter for 18 years when I lived in Orange County, CA. A backup bike was essential, because every so often I had a mechanical issue that took me some time to fix (myself). Or, once or twice a year I would be ready to leave on my commute and found the bike had a flat tire from a tiny puncture I got on the prior day's trip home.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
From what I can tell from looking at the bike you have, it seems like the cargo bike is going to be MUCH heavier. My bike isn’t particularly lightweight, but I think the average cargo bike is almost 2x the weight. My sister and husband commute about the same distance as you and they are all about minimizing the weight.

I’d suggest considering an e-bike if you want to have a cargo bike that is ok for commuting. Apparently Rad Power bikes get good reviews and the cost isn’t that much different from a traditional cargo bike from other brands. I think there are also converter kits you can get for traditional bikes- I think there is even one now that will work to convert a regular bike to an e-bike, but they have the front basket. If I were in your situation, I’d take a look at the cargo e-bike option.
I'm not a fan of e-bikes, especially cargo e-bikes as they cost as much as a decent used motorcycle (which I already have), and I like the exercise I get from pedaling. Of course, I don't have any experience with pedaling a regular cargo bike but I haven't really enjoyed the e-bikes I have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My two-wheeler for the past 4 years has been a Surly Troll all-purpose bike. Two of the past 4 years I was living in Germany, car-free and used the bike as my main transportation vehicle around town (Chemnitz). My Troll has Schwalbe Big Ben 26"x2.15" balloon tires, which roll good over rough pavement, cobblestones and non-paved roads. Fully loaded bike weight with rack, fenders, dynamo-powered lights and typical emergency tools and tubes in a pannier is about 45 lbs / 20.5 kg. With the balloon tires, I can easily carry and additional 30+ pounds in panniers on my cargo rack.

OP, how is the terrain where you commute and would use the cargo bike? Flat or gentle terrain, moderately hilly, or tough hills all over? I understand your need for a backup bike. I was a daily, year-round bike commuter for 18 years when I lived in Orange County, CA. A backup bike was essential, because every so often I had a mechanical issue that took me some time to fix (myself). Or, once or twice a year I would be ready to leave on my commute and found the bike had a flat tire from a tiny puncture I got on the prior day's trip home.
My commute right now is pretty much completely flat, with only a few minor inclines. My commuter is a single speed (for simplicity) and I haven't felt the need for gears, if that tells you how flat it is.

I do ride in the rain and have found the rain wreaks havoc on the bicycle. Some days I just get home too late to clean and maintain the bike for the next day, so it can be a few days of riding the bike with dirt and water everywhere and it's taking its toll on the bike. I would like to get a new commuter and keep this one as a backup.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:37 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Get an ebike. You will love it. Cargo would be awesome.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:57 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
OP, if the rain reeks havoc on your commuter bike, it means you don't have proper long-coverage fenders and mudflaps. Additionally, if you have a single speed, you should have a chain case to protect the entire chain, chainring and rear hub single speed ring from the elements. When I lived in Germany, I rode year round. The roads were often wet from rain or melting snow, and in winter there was a lot of salt mixed in with the snowmelt. My bike did just fine with fenders and mudflaps. I only cleaned the chain and bike about once per month, and I rode over 500 miles per month.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:02 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
I think you're getting things backward.

Buy your cargo bike and use it only when you're carrying a large load, use the regular bike the rest of the time.

No way the cargo bike is going to be as responsive or easy to ride as the normal bike, so don't plan on it being your main ride. Just when you need it. It's just like people who have a small sedan and a pickup truck.

Old 12-04-2021, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Get an ebike. You will love it. Cargo would be awesome.
I do not like e-bikes because of the weight, cost, having to charge it and the dangers rival that of a motorcycle, which I'd rather ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
OP, if the rain reeks havoc on your commuter bike, it means you don't have proper long-coverage fenders and mudflaps. Additionally, if you have a single speed, you should have a chain case to protect the entire chain, chainring and rear hub single speed ring from the elements. When I lived in Germany, I rode year round. The roads were often wet from rain or melting snow, and in winter there was a lot of salt mixed in with the snowmelt. My bike did just fine with fenders and mudflaps. I only cleaned the chain and bike about once per month, and I rode over 500 miles per month.
You're right, I don't have fenders. The Kilo TT is a track frame with tight tire clearances and I put 28C tires on and have no room for fenders. My bottom bracket and drivetrain get sprayed with water, dirt and grime in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I think you're getting things backward.

Buy your cargo bike and use it only when you're carrying a large load, use the regular bike the rest of the time.

No way the cargo bike is going to be as responsive or easy to ride as the normal bike, so don't plan on it being your main ride. Just when you need it. It's just like people who have a small sedan and a pickup truck.
You are right. I also don't think it's practical to lug such a long bike around and lock it in various areas that have a lot of foot traffic.

I will probably get a gravel bike to set up as a commuter and try out on the easier trails on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling