Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times

Advertisements

I am a runner and was training for the Seattle Marathon, which takes place in late Nov. In mid October I came down with muscle/connective tissue strain in my lower leg. I had to stop running, and cancel my marathon plans. But even after it fully healed, weeks turned into months, and I have hardly run since then. In short I really let myself go.

One thing I've learned in life is that if you want to motivate yourself, set up some external motivator. This post, publicly accesible, is my external motivator. Hopefully the prospect of failure and humiliation will help keep me going now.

I want to run the Bloomsday 12K race in May. The company that I work for is a sponsor. It's one of the biggest road races in the US. My goal pace is 45 minutes, which is about 6 min/mile pace. Last year my time was 48:xx . 45:xx would put me in contention to win my age group (55-59)

I went out yesterday (12/29)and ran 5 miles (in the rain, no less), but at a slow pace. Today, I plan to run 7.5 miles, again at a slow pace. Tommorow, Dec 31, 3-5 800M intervals. probably no more than 10MPH (6 mi/min) on the treadmill. I need to work my way up to about 10 800M repeats at at least 11MPH (about 5.5 min/mile). Wish me luck. Twenty-one weeks to go before Bloomsday 2012.
Bloomsday 2012 - Over 50,000 runners, joggers and walkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times
Best of luck, wutitiz. It's not easy coming back after you've been hurt or had an operation, but it's possible.

Hang in there.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
Wow! Good luck.

I am sure this forum along with the fact that this race is being sponsored by the company you work for will be great motivation for you to keep going.

I hope you keep visiting. I've never been a runner, but lately I am thinking I want to add a little bit of running to my exercise routine. I know you will be a great motivator for me!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:18 PM

Dec 30 ran 7.5 miles, slow pace, 1 hr. (8 min/mile)

woo hoo first real run since mid oct. I have actually done several runs here and there of 2-3 miles so I was not totally atrophied, but my legs are tired-- but no aches or pains. long way to go speed wise but I know that will come once I start doing intervals.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:35 PM

congrats! It takes time.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM

No intervals yesterday. My legs were dead after the 7.5 mile run fri. I did run about 5 miles today (1-1-12). In this case the 'external motivation' worked, because I really didn't want to go after last night's festivties. But I kept thinking, what will the C-D people think if I go two days without a run? LOL. As if more than 3 people will read this. But it did work as planned. I went out and put in 5 miles. Park was unbelieveably crowded. I for one am glad that the holidays are now officially kaput.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,530,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No intervals yesterday. My legs were dead after the 7.5 mile run fri. I did run about 5 miles today (1-1-12). In this case the 'external motivation' worked, because I really didn't want to go after last night's festivties. But I kept thinking, what will the C-D people think if I go two days without a run? LOL. As if more than 3 people will read this. But it did work as planned. I went out and put in 5 miles. Park was unbelieveably crowded. I for one am glad that the holidays are now officially kaput.
To me, five miles is a marathon! Good way to motivate yourself, knowing that we are with you here! (and I am glad the holidays are almost officially over too!)

Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Way to keep plugging, wut.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Way to keep plugging, wut.

Happy New Year.
Thank you all thanks to nomoresnow, looking4answers12, and fuzzy mystic for reading my dumb post and providing encouragement. Today I did my first intervals. Did 5 half-mile (about 805 meters) repeats finishing at 6 min/mile pace. Very lame but it's my first time, don't laugh. Goal by May is 10x800 at 5.5 min/mile pace or better.

Now I feel I'm back on track (pun intended) my plan is to just post once a week here. I follow the simple Frank Shorter approach of 1 interval session per week, one tempo run of (eventually 7-8 miles), and one long run.And the rest easy runs done at a very slow pace so as to not compromise the tempo and interval sessions.

I also do an incline running session. Because bloomsday has a big hill towards the end (known as 'doomsday hill.') And hopefully get back into plyometrics which to me are fun, and really make my legs feel springy and great.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,530,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Did 5 half-mile (about 805 meters) repeats finishing at 6 min/mile pace. Very lame but it's my first time, don't laugh. Goal by May is 10x800 at 5.5 min/mile pace or better.

Now I feel I'm back on track (pun intended) my plan is to just post once a week here. I follow the simple Frank Shorter approach of 1 interval session per week, one tempo run of (eventually 7-8 miles), and one long run.And the rest easy runs done at a very slow pace so as to not compromise the tempo and interval sessions.

I also do an incline running session. Because bloomsday has a big hill towards the end (known as 'doomsday hill.') And hopefully get back into plyometrics which to me are fun, and really make my legs feel springy and great.
Looks very good! Plyometrics are great, they really work you extra hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness > Daily Exercise Journals