Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,252 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Dallas all of our life and off and on have tried to locate any information on this pool. It may have been late 40's but think really it was the 50's it was a huge very huge outdooor pool very unique. To go in there were tunnels built under the pool with lights and lockers to store your stuff then you went thru a spot that put out water and walked upstairs to the pool . It was not covered at all on top all concrete as well. What I am looking for is any information on the pool and of course if possible would love a picture of it just to show my kids.
My mother took us lots of time and it was summer the fair was not going on while pool was open also believe it faced second avenue?
If anyone has any information would appreciate it.
Thank you Stan Baker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Here is a pic:

Old Fair Park swimming pool, Dallas, Texas on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/christianspenceranderson/4530071272/in/pool-fairpark - broken link)

It closed in 1959 and was located approx. where the African American Museum is now, according to a couple of comments I've read by doing a google search. I don't remember it, although I do remember a lot of stuff from the fair in the '50s, such as the steamboats in the lagoon (kept blowing up), the monorail, and the ice skating rink.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Looks about right - a bit before my time but I do remember the monorail (barely) and can you tell me where the ice skating rink was (before the Coliseum) - I think I remember going to the Ice Capades there as a small child - I am thinking it was in one of the agricultural buildings.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Looks about right - a bit before my time but I do remember the monorail (barely) and can you tell me where the ice skating rink was (before the Coliseum) - I think I remember going to the Ice Capades there as a small child - I am thinking it was in one of the agricultural buildings.
I think that the old ice rink was close to where Hans Mueller puts his tent at the fair. I took ice skating lessons there as a cub scout (about 50 years ago). But there was also an ice rink set up in the Colliseum for a while in the early 70's, where the Dallas minor league hockey teams played. Saw some games there and my old girlfriend used to go skating there often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas