Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times

Advertisements

Blacks all originated from Africa even the ones from the Hispanic dominated islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I bet 99.9% of African Americans have never even been to Africa. That term is wrongly used.

I guess I should call myself Cuban/Italian/American or "CIA" since My heritage is from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:59 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Blacks all originated from Africa even the ones from the Hispanic dominated islands.
Interesting to note: As people get lighter complected the further they get from the equator, they start getting darker complected again the closer they get to the North Pole. The why in the oddity is the same reason that skiiers in Colorado have to wear tanning lotion in the dead of winter. The snow works like a radiant barrier reflecting radiation back towards the sky and the skiiers. Your answer is actually incorrect. Their are dark people living in India and Australia to name a few. As the equator runs through the Amazon jungle, there are probably dark skinned people living there as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM

71 posts, read 163,186 times
What a lame thread so far - I was hoping to get lots of info to help me make my decision...moving, have to pick Dallas or Houston. Moving last week of February, gotta get this stuff figured out fast.

Questions:
Weather - how different is it between the two? Are summers totally stifling with high heat and humidity the entire summer? (I love that but my wife hates it). How about winter...are most days still pretty warm or does it actually feel like winter for weeks or months at a time?

Renting a 3/2 in a decent neighborhood - I don't need anything real special, but interested in a kid friendly neighborhood very near parks, trails, rivers, lakes, etc, etc...we love outdoor stuff. Recommended neighborhoods to check out on Craigslist in both towns?

Critters and wild weather:
I love both and will lean towards the choice with more of both of the above. Big bugs, snakes, etc...my boys and I love all that.

Entertainment:
What kinds of family options are available? Theme Parks, Dinner Theaters, etc, etc (how far to a decent beach if I live in Houston?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usixly View Post
Questions:
Weather - how different is it between the two? Are summers totally stifling with high heat and humidity the entire summer? (I love that but my wife hates it). How about winter...are most days still pretty warm or does it actually feel like winter for weeks or months at a time?

Renting a 3/2 in a decent neighborhood - I don't need anything real special, but interested in a kid friendly neighborhood very near parks, trails, rivers, lakes, etc, etc...we love outdoor stuff. Recommended neighborhoods to check out on Craigslist in both towns?

Critters and wild weather:
I love both and will lean towards the choice with more of both of the above. Big bugs, snakes, etc...my boys and I love all that.

Entertainment:
What kinds of family options are available? Theme Parks, Dinner Theaters, etc, etc (how far to a decent beach if I live in Houston?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!
starting a new thread might get you more responses, but I will try to help. My family is from Houston and lived there until about 8 years ago. That is the basis of my comparison:
WEATHER - It is VERY different, even though we didn't expect it to be. Houston has two seasons - hot and hotter. In Dallas, I feel like we have four seasons although Fall can be pretty short. Both Houston & Dallas are hot, depending on where you come from, but Dallas has a lot less humidity. We also have reasonably cold weather in Dallas, with snow, ice and such. In Houston, it is not uncommon to spend Christmas dinner wishing you were in shorts.

RENTING - really depends on where your job is and what your budget is. Search here - lots of threads.

CRITTERS, ETC - No ideas. I try to avoid them!

ENTERTAINMENT - Dallas has Six Flags amusement park (in Arlington) and all kinds of water parks (Hawaiian Falls has several locations). There is a Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine. Houston's Six Flags closed a few years ago. Not sure about water parks. No GWL. You are about an hour or so from the beach. A "decent" beach is all relative. A lot of people thing Galveston is an ugly beach, but I think any beach is better than being 5-6 hours away (which you would be in Dallas)

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,425 times
Holy Moly, well I'm Black and in the local Hawaiian jargon, "I No. Kaya" what you call me, because me and the Good Lord will make the determination of my worth!
I'm moving to Dallas with a tried and true "Live and Let Live" philosophy. I love being around people, I'm an extrovert in that way. I know there are D-Bags out there who make snap judgements based solely on the color of my skin ; they're idiots and I don't do idiocy!
I hope the OP chooses Dallas, because what I remember about the City and what I'm learning through research it looks like a great fit for any professional-minded, striving young person. I'm not so young now, but I'm looking forward to my move this June.
Mahalo Ya'll

Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,572 times
Jennifer kind of summed it up well. Someone earlier stated that Houston's buildings were taller, but Dallas has more, thats just not true. Houston is third in number of high rises behind New York and Chicago.

Weather, as has been metioned above, is much different. Four seasons are more pronounced here in DFW, though some who move here from up north would question that.

Houston has Kemah, which is more of a boardwalk fair kind of environment, with a bunch of restaurants, carnival rides and a ferris wheel.

DFW has Six Flags, Texas State Fair in the fall, Great Wolf Lodge, so it definately has the edge in that area.

Friendliness has to go to Houston in my opinion. Just in general people seem to be more down to earth, Dallas is a bit more on the snobby side in general. Houston's actually quite pronounced on the friendliness part, I think anyone who has spent a decent amount of time in both would admit as much. Even the River Oaks area of Houston, which is the richest area of town, tends to be a little more urban to me and less in your face with affluency than Highland Park.

Houston probably wins on the bohemian front if thats important to you. Montrose area, and Rice University area tend to feel alot more urban to me than most areas of Dallas. In the end I prefer DFW, but in all honestly i have to admit the above at least.

Where Dallas wins is cleanliness, great suburbs with great schools, and a more diverse job market imho. If you're into Shopping Dallas has a big edge there, outside of the Houston Galleria which is huge, there isn't much in Houston that competes with Dallas on the shopping front. I would put the restaraunts at a dead heat.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Jennifer kind of summed it up well. Someone earlier stated that Houston's buildings were taller, but Dallas has more, thats just not true. Houston is third in number of high rises behind New York and Chicago.
Maybe if you combine Dallas & Fort Worth it has more buildings than Houston, but not Dallas alone.

As you said, Houston ranks 3rd only to NYC & Chicago in number of skyscrapers.

I will say this & that is Uptown Dallas is starting to look quite amazing on the density side, but its no Uptown Houston when it comes to height. The Texas Medical Center skyline to Uptown Dallas is a better comparison in both density & height.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the quick responses and feedback. Helping me sort things out here!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 AM

If Houston wins out, I'd need to be pretty near the city itself. Any recommendations on family friendly (very near trails and/or parks is a big + for us) neighborhoods other than Kingwood? Looking at that on the map would put me an hour away from work without much traffic most days. Hoping to find a nice place to settle where the commute isn't so long.

Also...about the crazy weather...wife is concerned about the real severe stuff. Opinions from those that have lived in the area for awhile on that? Seems to me as renters with insurance, and with the advance notice (isn't that the norm?)......it wouldn't be a deal breaker. But, thoughts?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usixly View Post
If Houston wins out, I'd need to be pretty near the city itself. Any recommendations on family friendly (very near trails and/or parks is a big + for us) neighborhoods other than Kingwood? Looking at that on the map would put me an hour away from work without much traffic most days. Hoping to find a nice place to settle where the commute isn't so long.

Also...about the crazy weather...wife is concerned about the real severe stuff. Opinions from those that have lived in the area for awhile on that? Seems to me as renters with insurance, and with the advance notice (isn't that the norm?)......it wouldn't be a deal breaker. But, thoughts?
Memorial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas