Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:02 PM

111 posts, read 195,450 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 51 year old man that is looking to relocate to either the Dallas area or Austin. I have lived in the Oklahoma City area for 15 years and am sick of it. My profession is Information Technology, specifically system administration and Desktop Support. I like Austin more, but from the little bit of research I've done so far, it seems as though Dallas has more jobs for system administration, whereas Austin is more suited for programmer types. I am not a programmer. Austin seems to have a lower crime rate, and less traffic. Dallas seems to have more attractive women, at least the ones my age :-)

Please give me your thoughts on the two cities. But please don't tell me to stay in Oklahoma, because it's not an option. I hate it here and have to leave.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 PM

16 posts, read 34,053 times
I cannot fault you for hating Oklahoma. I would get a job offer before you pick a city to move to though.....take the best job and make the decision that way. Austin gets a lot of hype. I've lived in Austin 10 years but when you get right down to it, it's just another big city that happens to have a bunch of music festivals. The main difference between Austin and the rest is that it isn't as "diverse" as Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.....and by that I mean it's mostly white people (70%+?).

The only exception to that would be if you can get a house on lake travis in lakeway(austin).....if I won the lottery that'd be it for me....there's nothing like it anywhere else in the south. Unfortunately it's a long way into town and very expensive.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narwhal View Post
I cannot fault you for hating Oklahoma. I would get a job offer before you pick a city to move to though.....take the best job and make the decision that way. Austin gets a lot of hype. I've lived in Austin 10 years but when you get right down to it, it's just another big city that happens to have a bunch of music festivals. The main difference between Austin and the rest is that it isn't as "diverse" as Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.....and by that I mean it's mostly white people (70%+?).

The only exception to that would be if you can get a house on lake travis in lakeway(austin).....if I won the lottery that'd be it for me....there's nothing like it anywhere else in the south. Unfortunately it's a long way into town and very expensive.
I have tried getting a job in Austin, but they won't even look at your resume unless you live in the area. Most employers are like that now. I applied for a job in Tulsa that I was fully qualified for. But I was told they wanted to hire someone from the area. I have even added that I will pay my own moving expenses, but still no bites.

I have enough money to keep me going a few months, whichever city I end up in. I just have to make a decision as to which one.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko959 View Post
I have tried getting a job in Austin, but they won't even look at your resume unless you live in the area. Most employers are like that now. I applied for a job in Tulsa that I was fully qualified for. But I was told they wanted to hire someone from the area. I have even added that I will pay my own moving expenses, but still no bites.

I have enough money to keep me going a few months, whichever city I end up in. I just have to make a decision as to which one.
If I were you, I would save more than just "enough money to keep going for few months." Try a year. In this market, they won't interview you because you're from out of town doesn't mean they will interview you if you're in town.

Keep looking for interviews untill you get a solid offer or until you have a year of savings.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
If I were you, I would save more than just "enough money to keep going for few months." Try a year. In this market, they won't interview you because you're from out of town doesn't mean they will interview you if you're in town.

Keep looking for interviews untill you get a solid offer or until you have a year of savings.
I appreciate the advice, but my situation is good. I understand the economy is crappy. However, there are jobs to be had, and I refuse to sit around in a state, and a situation, I hate. It's not like I'm penniless, but even if I were, there are ways to survive if you want it bad enough.

Now, the point of my post was to get comparisons of Dallas vs Austin. If I could get some more input on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:10 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Dallas is obvious choice: far more powerful economic base w/more corporate HQs and financial firms which are tech support-intensive...and, in coming yrs, more major cos. will likely migrate to Dallas from NYC and Chicago to escape onerous taxes....maximal career liquidity and mobility

Much better educated, more attractive local crowd in Dallas b/c of the economic base of region which continually attracts young, upwardly mobile

Fwys of Dallas are reasonably brisk vs any other major city, esp btwn the key Uptown/Plano/Irving residential-office-restaurant corridors

Aus has no modern fwys and has primitive infrastructure of a little river town w/state gvt, a mediocre state college, and a ~30yo, dying PC co. up in RoundRock as base of employment....not a lot of innovation or economic relevance (or career liquidity) in TX's commie town that aspires to be some version of Berkeley

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Dallas is obvious choice: far more powerful economic base w/more corporate HQs and financial firms which are tech support-intensive...and, in coming yrs, more major cos. will likely migrate to Dallas from NYC and Chicago to escape onerous taxes....maximal career liquidity and mobility

Much better educated, more attractive local crowd in Dallas b/c of the economic base of region which continually attracts young, upwardly mobile

Fwys of Dallas are reasonably brisk vs any other major city, esp btwn the key Uptown/Plano/Irving residential-office-restaurant corridors

Aus has no modern fwys and has primitive infrastructure of a little river town w/state gvt, a mediocre state college, and a ~30yo, dying PC co. up in RoundRock as base of employment....not a lot of innovation or economic relevance (or career liquidity) in TX's commie town that aspires to be some version of Berkeley
Wow, thanks for your opinion. That's the kind of input I'm looking for.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Dallas would be the best option for landing a job... no argument there. Plus, you'd be a little closer to Austin if you wanted to visit. The only potential problem I could see is finding the right neighborhood for your situation -- you don't want to get stuck in a suburb full of married young couples w/children. And there is A LOT of that kind of suburban living in DFW. Fun areas for singles & couples w/o kids are probably easier to find in Austin, but they are available in DFW too. Just have to be more selective and maybe get some tips from the Dallasites here.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Wow, thanks for your opinion. That's the kind of input I'm looking for.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:

I don't agree that the University of Texas is just a "mediocre state college", it's actually a world-class institution and one of the best universities, public or private, in the entire state. But just about all of the rest of it is right on.

To the OP, Dallas is a better option. We have a larger and more diversified economy than Austin and the cost of living is lower here. There's also much more to do IMHO. Austin does beat Dallas into the ground in terms of natural beauty but the city is becoming so congested and overbuilt that a lot of that natural beauty is being lost anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas