Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM

49 posts, read 54,903 times

Advertisements

I just relocated here to Dallas from the Midwest and I LOVE IT. Matter of fact, had 3 interviews my 1st week. I found a job in just days. AMAZING HERE....never would have happened so quick back home.

Anyway, my job is in Irving and Im currently in the Uptown area of Dallas. I already LOVE Uptown ....the drive to work would be about 25 mins. My very short term lease is up end of October. So, I don't know if I should move out to Irving or just stay in this area and commute?
Idk much about Irving, so I don't know if I'd want to live there.

I am a single woman in my early 30s, no kids. Therefore, I don't have use for anything that feels suburban.
I am a city girl, so maybe I have answered my own question. I just need to know before I sign a lease sticking me anywhere.

OR is there another cool area of Dallas, that would put me even 10 mins closer in my commute?

Also, is there a way to get around the Dallas Tollway on ramp over here in Uptown? My GPS takes me that way every time I drive out to Irving to check the area out.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBabe View Post
I just relocated here to Dallas from the Midwest and I LOVE IT. Matter of fact, had 3 interviews my 1st week. I found a job in just days. AMAZING HERE....never would have happened so quick back home.

Anyway, my job is in Irving and Im currently in the Uptown area of Dallas. I already LOVE Uptown ....the drive to work would be about 25 mins. My very short term lease is up end of October. So, I don't know if I should move out to Irving or just stay in this area and commute?
Idk much about Irving, so I don't know if I'd want to live there.

I am a single woman in my early 30s, no kids. Therefore, I don't have use for anything that feels suburban.
I am a city girl, so maybe I have answered my own question. I just need to know before I sign a lease sticking me anywhere.

OR is there another cool area of Dallas, that would put me even 10 mins closer in my commute?

Also, is there a way to get around the Dallas Tollway on ramp over here in Uptown? My GPS takes me that way every time I drive out to Irving to check the area out.

Thanks
Check out the area around Oaklawn just west of 35. It's urban, close enough to Uptown to get over there when you need a beer/glass of wine but several minutes closer to Irving for work. You might take a peak at the Medical District around Parkland Hospital as well.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Or North Oak Cliff, though I'd guess nice apartments are thin on the ground there.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
I think I'd stay in Uptown if I were you. A 25 min commute isn't bad at all, and there really isn't anything comparable to Uptown closer to Irving.

I used to live in Uptown, and my commute was all the way out to Westlake. I looked at Irving, Las Colinas, etc, but couldn't find anything that I'd like as much as the Uptown area. My solution was to transfer to a position with flex scheduling... I worked 4 days a week, one of those days was a Sat so no rush hour traffic, and my shift ended at 9pm, so no rush hour on the other days either. Made commuting simple, and still got to enjoy my Uptown life.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
If you check out North Oak Cliff, a funky-ish area (it's where the Bishop Arts District is) with mostly older homes and apartments, there are a couple of newer buildings like this one and more planned:

Rent Apartment in Dallas, Texas - Alta West Davis Apartments Near Downtown Dallas, TX

It's near I-30 and puts you west of downtown so you don't have to go through that horrible I35-I30-Central Expressway tangle, which is going to get even worse with the re-do of that entire stretch of freeway (google Horseshoe Project) that's going to start soon.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,186 times
I would stay in Uptown.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Or North Oak Cliff, though I'd guess nice apartments are thin on the ground there.
But wouldn't that add a significant amount of commute time?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
But wouldn't that add a significant amount of commute time?
Depends.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM

257 posts, read 550,390 times
Stay in Uptown.

To get to Irving, take Lemmon or Maple (whichever is closer to your apartment) to Oak Lawn and turn left to get to I-35 North and you'll miss most of the traffic snarls.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM

59 posts, read 71,952 times
Design District? Probably a shorter commute, depending on where in Irving you are going. Walkable to bars and restaurants, although not as many as Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: