Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 AM

137 posts, read 542,913 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Dallas, but I saw some posts about storms, and there was a woman saying that she feared for her life here.

Is it really that dangerous? Do you get ample warnings in advance about storms coming?

I'd be coming from San Diego, CA, so this would be a big change. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
We get tons of warning, even a few DAYS ahead, that there will be storms. All of the TV channels have weather radars that are extremely accurate and the forecasters stay on the entire time there is a storm to show you where it is and where it is going. Honestly, this spring has had a lot of storms but fortunately, very few of them have had tornadoes. There has been a lot of wind and some hail, too. But there is NO reason to "fear for your life" here with this kind of support! And the bad weather usually only lasts a month or so in the spring. We don't get these bad storms often in other seasons.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 AM

869 posts, read 2,954,923 times
No, the weather here is no more dangerous than the wild fires and earthquakes in California...so if you don't fear for your life in Cali, you shouldn't fear for it here...

As I have posted in a couple of other threads, I've lived in the DFW metroplex for the vast majority of my 39 years, and I've only been through one tornado...and I didn't even know I had been through a tornado until well after it was over...

Now the drivers are an entirely different story....

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I'm considering a move to Dallas, but I saw some posts about storms, and there was a woman saying that she feared for her life here.

Is it really that dangerous? Do you get ample warnings in advance about storms coming?

I'd be coming from San Diego, CA, so this would be a big change. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, storms can be very dangerous and one needs to take precautions. The weather stations are usually very good in warning about potentional tornadoes, hail, lightning, flooding, and straight-line winds with destructive force. They tell you when to take cover in any given area.

March through June is considered the worst time for severe storms. When Autumn begins, severe storms happen again, but they're USUALLY not as severe as in the Spring. Any month can be a cause for concern though for the potential of dangerous storms. There was an outbreak of tornadoes and several deaths reported south/southwest of Dallas in December of 2006, so no month is immune. I honestly think July, August, and a bit into September are the safest months for no tornadoes, but the brutal heat and lack of cold fronts is the reason.

There have been quite a few tornadoes already this season but none in Dallas, just the threat of. It's getting monotous because every few days, severe storms have been popping up and where the tornadoes may hit is anyone's guess.

I'm also from southern California and although we had to live with earthquakes that were really quite few and far between, it's just different than dealing with the threat of tornadoes and destructive winds. Unless one has lived in both, it's just hard to explain but if you're moving to Dallas, you will probably understand what I'm saying in due course.

I do have a storm cellar and that helps give me and many of my native Texan neighbors peace of mind. Weather anywhere can be very dangerous and one needs to have a plan when it hits.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
I've lived in Dallas my entire life...45 years. I've never feared for my life during the storms. Yes, we have some bad storms at time but I can't say I feared them. I just know to take reasonable measures and use them during these times.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 AM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
I haven't experienced anything here that made me fear for my life. Some things to do if you are fearful is to keep a watch on the weather report and take precautions if necessary. Be aware that the news stations will over hype a storm though. Maybe that is part of the reason some people seem to be fearing for their lives?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM

137 posts, read 542,913 times
Do people still drive to work and such when there are hail storms, winds? What if you are on your way somewhere and winds are really strong or if there is a bunch of hail?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:57 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,833 times
After these storms leave Dallas they have a tendency to pay us a visit here in SW MO so when we moved here we picked up one of these. You can program them just for the area you are concerned with and the alarm on this thing will wake the dead so it's just about impossible for us to sleep through an alert. We have had some pretty whack weather at times but you get used to it after awhile.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
After these storms leave Dallas they have a tendency to pay us a visit here in SW MO so when we moved here we picked up one of these. You can program them just for the area you are concerned with and the alarm on this thing will wake the dead so it's just about impossible for us to sleep through an alert. We have had some pretty whack weather at times but you get used to it after awhile.
Storms in Dallas don't travel north to Missouri unless it's a storm from a hurricane that travels northward, but that's usually just a rain event. Tornadic storms form along a cold front about to crash into a warm front, hence the storms in Missouri would more than likely be coming by way of Nebraska, Iowa, or Kansas.

You are very right about the weather alert. I've owned one for 30 years, a great help in case the electricity goes out and computers and TVs can't be viewed.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
Do people still drive to work and such when there are hail storms, winds? What if you are on your way somewhere and winds are really strong or if there is a bunch of hail?
I won't leave my work or home to travel to work in the middle of a storm. It isn't wise. I have been caught out on the road before during a terrible storm and when I can see, I pull off the road and get into a strong building. I've never been caught in a hail storm which would be very scary as large hail can really wreak havoc on a windshield and therefore, possible flying glass would be a concern. If you can find an overpass or something to get under, it will protect you from the hail but if a tornado is approaching, that's one of the worst places to be as it has been proven that the velocity of the winds increase under them. Definitely get out of car as they make terrific flying projectiles. Get in a ditch and lie flat on the ground if no building is around.

Pay attention to the weather, and you can almost always avoid being on the road during a bad storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas