Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,733 times

Advertisements

I live near SMU and I was looking for a Wal-Mart Super Center to purchase some items. I looked online and found one on 9301 Forest Lane.

When I first walked into the store, a man, around 30 year old was cursing at two women, and vice versa, at the check out area. It got so heated and loud that everyone was watching and the management was involved. I think it was nearly physicial. One of the woman keep screaming that he will not live long based on the way he treats women. Okay, maybe it was an isolated incident.

I proceed to shop. This Wal-Mart is the messiest one I have ever been to. There were all kind of items on the floor inside the store. Items on the shelves were mis-placed or just all over the place. In addition, it doesn't smell nice either. On top of that, they don't carry certain items. One of them being the Quaker One Minute Oat Meal. What store doesn't carry that item?

What's going on? Is that a ghetto area?

Most importantly, where is the closest Wal-Mart Super Center near SMU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,029 times
One it's Walmart, the store is notorious for attracting all sorts of people from every aspect of life. Two, you were in a fairly bad area.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
The nicest one I found was on Beltline and the Tollway, however it's Walmart so it attracts all walks of life.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
I live near SMU and I was looking for a Wal-Mart Super Center to purchase some items. I looked online and found one on 9301 Forest Lane.

When I first walked into the store, a man, around 30 year old was cursing at two women, and vice versa, at the check out area. It got so heated and loud that everyone was watching and the management was involved. I think it was nearly physicial. One of the woman keep screaming that he will not live long based on the way he treats women. Okay, maybe it was an isolated incident.

I proceed to shop. This Wal-Mart is the messiest one I have ever been to. There were all kind of items on the floor inside the store. Items on the shelves were mis-placed or just all over the place. In addition, it doesn't smell nice either. On top of that, they don't carry certain items. One of them being the Quaker One Minute Oat Meal. What store doesn't carry that item?

What's going on? Is that a ghetto area?

Most importantly, where is the closest Wal-Mart Super Center near SMU?
It is a ghetto area. I've been there a few times, but I have to work myself up to going because it's so crowded and parking is next to impossible. Some of the clientel is a little scary, even for Walmart, but I haven't experienced a scene like you did. It hasn't been messy either when I've been there, but it's still not my favorite place. Walmart Super Centers tend to go up in the burbs, that one being an exception, rather than in Dallas Proper.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,271 times
Yeah, that's the closest one to you, I'm in the same situation. There is a neighborhood market a few miles south on 75 if you only need grocery items. I actually thought the store itself was pretty nice and has been well-stocked when I went there, but the clientele is...well...urban. Haha, the first two times I went there, someone stole my shopping cart when I was turned around. Big difference from the beautiful store my family shops at in Highland Village. I went there tonight--what a difference!

Don't try going on a Sat. night--it is PACKED. Like, the entire parking lot was almost full. I wont go there at night without my husband.

If you don't mind paying a little more, just go to the Super Target at Skillman & Abrams. It's clean, safe, and closer. Just make sure you don't get confused and go to the one on Northwest Highway one street over--it doesn't have a full grocery section. I do not understand why there are two Targets so close.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,764,496 times
I would also suggest the Targets mentioned above or if you HAVE to go to Super Walmart try the one in West Plano or the one on Montfort between Belt Line and Arapaho (the W Plano one will be further for you).

Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
One it's Walmart, the store is notorious for attracting all sorts of people from every aspect of life. Two, you were in a fairly bad area.
Yep. There is a reason there is a website called peopleofwalmart........

Like others have said, just go to SuperTarget. Their prices CAN be lower than Walmarts and it is such a better shopping environment.

As for the two Targets in that area......... I was told before by someone in management in that area but there was a reason why they kept the original one that is non-grocery open on Northwest Hwy. Just can't remember now.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:33 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Yeah, that's the closest one to you, I'm in the same situation. There is a neighborhood market a few miles south on 75 if you only need grocery items. I actually thought the store itself was pretty nice and has been well-stocked when I went there, but the clientele is...well...urban. Haha, the first two times I went there, someone stole my shopping cart when I was turned around. Big difference from the beautiful store my family shops at in Highland Village. I went there tonight--what a difference!

Don't try going on a Sat. night--it is PACKED. Like, the entire parking lot was almost full. I wont go there at night without my husband.

If you don't mind paying a little more, just go to the Super Target at Skillman & Abrams. It's clean, safe, and closer. Just make sure you don't get confused and go to the one on Northwest Highway one street over--it doesn't have a full grocery section. I do not understand why there are two Targets so close.
I know what you mean. I think 80% of them are urban, including the man and the two women who almost got into a physical fight. Lot's of B and D, etc. words were thrown around.

I don't mind paying more and I like the Target on Skillman too, but they don't carry certain items that Wal-Mart has. During the whole time I was shopping at that Wal-Mart, I worried about my car being gone from the parking lot.

By the way, there are about 5% to 10% urban clientele at that Target in Skillman too.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
The nicest one I found was on Beltline and the Tollway, however it's Walmart so it attracts all walks of life.
I shop at that Wal Mart. Its one of the more diverse Wal-Marts I have been to.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I shop at that Wal Mart. Its one of the more diverse Wal-Marts I have been to.
I found that one to be one of the nicest in the Dallas area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas