Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
What a worthless poster. Reported and moving on now.
But, you know, I do believe that elevated park is going to have a huge impact! It sits right at the heart of what is developing into the prime real estate in central Dallas. My point is how Dallas has become more modern than Houston and is becoming more so every day. The strategic decision for the city to build light rail when it did put it many years ahead of Houston. The TOD development is likewise many years ahead. Houston's decision to put off burying its elevated freeways is going to effect how its urban core melds together for many years to come.
Meanwhile, the success of this park being built over the submerged portion of Woodall Rogers freeway is going to encourage even more submerged freeways to be built in the Dallas - Fort Worth area in the future.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The views of Mister Nifty are not that of the Dallas public or the Public Broadcasting Station.
The point is the elevated park being built over the freeway. Okay, maybe the city of Dallas does suck, or maybe your life sucks, or, I don't know, whatever. Indeed, government is spending too much money wasting it away on a lots of unnecessary bling bling. My argument is out of all that unnecessary stuff, this project is in fact well worth the money. Mark my words that this thing will become an instant classic.
Maybe you don't see it because you have a dull imagination? I don't know. Why can't people see the obvious?
Sitting at the heart of the prime real estate of central Dallas is going to be an elevated park sitting atop a freeway. This is going to create a plaza like area, a mini Central Park so to speak. This park will put the city of Dallas in a whole other league over Houston. Its just another piece of the puzzle to go along with the developing retail planned in and around the area. That, in turn, will attract further condos to be built.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Then Dallas is “light years” ahead compared to San Antonio. I can’t stand how behind things are down here.
Look, I don't know about the situation in San Antonio. I can still remember my impression of the DART line when it was first built relative to the city of Dallas. It seemed like something that was stolen away from Austin as it seemed the perfect fit for that city. The Dart light rail line had an immediate impact in how it made the city of Dallas seem more intimate. It was exactly what the city needed at the time.
Uptown in Dallas exists because of a lot of hard work. Many pieces of the puzzle had to be fit in place for that area to expand out from downtown. Similarly, the Arts District in Dallas was created by a lot of effort and compromising. The elevated park is just another smart piece of the puzzle.
The reason people in Dallas take this for granted is because they don't fully appreciate how quickly Uptown has developed and how it was only recently that the area around the Arts District has developed into becoming the focal point of central Dallas -- its new Main Street.
People in Houston don't understand this because they don't realize how much more modern Dallas is becoming to their city by way of the construction of light rail lines and numerous TODs. Indeed, downtown Houston compares well to downtown Dallas, but it doesn't compare to the new emerging central Dallas. Downtown Houston has become primitive in comparison.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Actually, I really like Dallas and the people who live there. I agree - people who start threads like this are doing it for the strife.

I don't like to compare any city to another - they all are different and that's a good thing. Otherwise, why ever leave home?
I'm like you, as a native fellow Texan there's not a bad city in our state.

Now if he wants to compare Dallas and someplace like Detroit, we Texans are up for that.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its almost as if he is begging someone to flame him. People from Houston get upset and start talking bad about Dallas. Then the normal Dallas posters chime in and then you have huge waste of a thread. I hate that s**t.
But there is a difference between flaming to create disunity and flaming because it is the truth. Fact is, there will be a park built over a submerged portion of freeway between the Dallas Arts District and the hottest part of Uptown. Significance? Well, the leaders in Dallas have always felt that elevated freeways cut off neighborhoods from each other. Example? The demise of Victory just to the west of that area in its quest to become the prime area of central Dallas. What hinders both it and the West End in their developments? Well, it is an elevated portion of freeway.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm like you, as a native fellow Texan there's not a bad city in our state.

Now if he wants to compare Dallas and someplace like Detroit, we Texans are up for that.
See, you aren't a visitor. A visitor would think, "What is the big deal with this park being built over a submerged freeway? What is the significance? Oh, now I see, Houston has a lot of elevated freeways in comparison." That kind of thing.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Wait, what? So Houston will just "throw" up buildings just for the fun of it?! Srsly dude take your medication, bro. I saw your "comparison" to Paris in other posts as well, wtf.

YouTube - Clifford Stoll: 18 minutes with an agile mind
The comparison was to show the paradox of how the suburban area of La Defense in Paris is more similar to downtown Dallas while the low rise area of downtown Paris is more similar to Las Colinas.
See, in the minds of visitors, I moved the center of the Dallas - Fort Worth area away from downtown Dallas and moved it more towards Las Colinas and the aeropolis of DFW airport -- what I call the Big Magnate.
Go back and reread the post.
In the meantime, I do think it is important to point out how much more modern the city of Dallas is becoming than Houston. Building mixed use is the next big thing while tall buildings are becoming passe. This is difficult for Texas culture to accept as we were raised thinking in terms of ever wider freeways and ever taller buildings.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
submerging freeways? what the heck is that? They going to pour water over them?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
submerging freeways? what the heck is that? They going to pour water over them?
Funny. See, this is a clear example of a person who doesn't know about modern day Dallas. No, a submerged freeway does not have water poured over them any more than an elevated freeway doesn't have fixed wings built on them so they can fly. A submerged freeway is one that is built below ground so that the streets crossing over it can have clear, unobstructed access.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
after doing some research I saw what your talking about. I had no idea what they were doign down there. Looks like it will be pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas