Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times

Advertisements

After spending billions of dollars on a new stadium way out in Arlington & talking about going to the Super Bowl every single season do you think the Cowboys are still the self proclaimed "America's Team" of the 90's?

With a crushing loss by the Houston Texans last weekend it makes you wonder if they should even be playing in the NFL, and not that the Texans are all that bad, they're a good expansion team considering how few years they've been playing. The Cowboys looked so bad I bet the Texas Aggies could have beat them. Romo got the **** sacked out of him several times & looked like a total wash up then there was that play where it took 3 or 4 Boys just to get that Texans player down by the jersey. The spotlight of the night was shown upon quarterback Matt Schaub & a blood thirsty Houston team.

IMO the Dallas Cowboys are a relic of the past. Its nice to reminisce their glory years, but lets get real here, they havn't had a good coach since Jimmy Johnson & Jerry Jones did his best to screw that little relationship up by telling him how to coach the team.

Lets discuss in an adult like manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:43 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
After spending billions of dollars on a new stadium way out in Arlington & talking about going to the Super Bowl every single season do you think the Cowboys are still the self proclaimed "America's Team" of the 90's?

With a crushing loss by the Houston Texans last weekend it makes you wonder if they should even be playing in the NFL, and not that the Texans are all that bad, they're a good expansion team considering how few years they've been playing. The Cowboys looked so bad I bet the Texas Aggies could have beat them. Romo got the **** sacked out of him several times & looked like a total wash up then there was that play where it took 3 or 4 Boys just to get that Texans player down by the jersey. The spotlight of the night was shown upon quarterback Matt Schaub & a blood thirsty Houston team.

IMO the Dallas Cowboys are a relic of the past. Its nice to reminisce their glory years, but lets get real here, they havn't had a good coach since Jimmy Johnson & Jerry Jones did his best to screw that little relationship up by telling him how to coach the team.

Lets discuss in an adult like manner.

Yeah, ok, we'll discuss this in an adult manner. Since our "crushing" loss to the Texans in a meaningless preseason, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe we should just turn in our season tickets now, would that be fair? It's over, right? Heck, why even play this season, is that about right? We'll see come the third game of the REAL season just who is ready and who isn't come the Texans game. As for your claim of us being "relics of the past", aren't they all? Are the Steelers the same team, the 70's Steelers were? Are the Packers of today the same team that took the field back in the '60's? I think not. We are all relics of past glories......

Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Can they make it? Sure. Will they? I doubt it. They have the talent on paper, but their first string offense has looked WAY out of synch throughout the preseason. Jason Garrett's play-calling is all over the map and Wade Phillips is a great defensive mind but a mediocre head coach.

I think the NFC East is a 2-team race between the Giants and the Cowboys, and I think Dallas will win the division. Come playoff time though, I fear Dallas's ancient offensive line will run out of gas along with the team's superbowl aspirations.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Yeah, ok, we'll discuss this in an adult manner. Since our "crushing" loss to the Texans in a meaningless preseason, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe we should just turn in our season tickets now, would that be fair? It's over, right? Heck, why even play this season, is that about right? We'll see come the third game of the REAL season just who is ready and who isn't come the Texans game. As for your claim of us being "relics of the past", aren't they all? Are the Steelers the same team, the 70's Steelers were? Are the Packers of today the same team that took the field back in the '60's? I think not. We are all relics of past glories......
It was mentioned several times by various sports announcers & I agree, preseason games these days are played just like any other game. Romo was out calling plays on the field to his top offensive line guys (and not hearing them supposedly).

I even heard where they tried to use their training camp schedule as an excuse. They are obviously trying hard to get noticed globally by taking these lavish trips & its backfiring on them.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:06 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,645 times
Quote:
It was mentioned several times by various sports announcers & I agree, preseason games these days are played just like any other game. Romo was out calling plays on the field to his top offensive line guys (and not hearing them supposedly).

I even heard where they tried to use their training camp schedule as an excuse. They are obviously trying hard to get noticed globally by taking these lavish trips & its backfiring on them.

All I can tell ya is, I'll make sure and come back to this thread after we are 3 and 0, after just defeating those Texans that just terrify me so.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Short answer? No.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM

275 posts, read 870,191 times
It's way too early to tell, and I refuse to put stock into what happens during the preseason...one of the Patriots squads that won the Super Bowl were 1-3 in preseason. On the other hand, the '08 Lions were 4-0 in preseason. I take it you know what happened there?

Yes, they looked awful in the Texans game, and mediocre in the rest. Yes, there are question marks about the offensive line, and Colombo's injury doesn't help. Yes, the defense needs some work. But again, it's preseason. Other than the rookies trying to make the roster, who's gonna really overexert themselves and risk injury?

After they lost 44-6 to Philly at the end of '08, many (including myself) predicted no better than 8-8 for Dallas. They proved a bunch of people (again, including myself) wrong by going 11-5, the division, and (gasp) a playoff game. And honestly, at mid-December '09, no one would've convinced me that a team that choked against the Giants and Chargers back-to-back would light it up for four weeks against the undefeated Saints, the Skins, and red-hot Eagles back-to-back.

The team more than enough talent to get it together. Let's just wait and see.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 AM

I suppose this is what Mister Nifty meant in his most recent thread saying "the clock is ticking" for Dallas.

For all your Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl coverage from Arlington, Texas here is the place to be...

Super Bowl XLV News | Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 AM

216 posts, read 444,311 times
Quote:
It was mentioned several times by various sports announcers & I agree, preseason games these days are played just like any other game.

Uhh...I doubt you actually heard that from one knowledgeable football fan, much less a sportscaster. And if you did and you actually believe it, I seriously wonder if you've ever watched football.

Yeah, preseason games are played just like any other. And I'm sure then Kitna and Stephen McGee will be seeing significant playing time all season. Give me a break.

But I digress. To answer your question, no, the Cowboys will not go to the Super Bowl. I don't think they have a Superbowl caliber coach or Superbowl caliber leadership. That doesn't make the Cowboys a relic of the past though. The Cowboys had an incredible run in the 70s and then didn't win it all again until the 90s. Who's to say this coming decade won't give the Cowboys better luck?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Uhh...I doubt you actually heard that from one knowledgeable football fan, much less a sportscaster. And if you did and you actually believe it, I seriously wonder if you've ever watched football.
Yeah...I guess Dale Hanson's Sports Special doesn't count right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas