Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM

87 posts, read 373,526 times

Advertisements

Is this typical in DFW for all these bugs (spiders, ear wigs, ants, flies, etc..) to be out and about at this time of the year? Or is it because of all this rain we are getting? Does termites come out alot too becasue of all this rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
From what I understand all the rain will allow termites to return to the surface. (Where last year they were deeper underground in search of moisture.) Also the mosquito population is booming from all the water.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
As a new (completely ignorant ) homeowner, I have a termite question.

I had all the inspections done, of course. There were no termites when I bought the place last December. Is there something I need to be doing now to keep it that way?

I think every mosquito in Dallas lives in my backyard.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I am not sure about Dallas, but I assume it is the same as Austin....the termites live in the ground and travel via small 'mud' tunnels up your foundation into the sides of your house to 'feast'. You can periodically walk around the house and check the foundation for these mud tunnels. They are fairly small trails of mud (or whatever they really are) that run from the ground up to the siding.

Don't know how to check in a pier and beam house, but there are probably similar signs.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am not sure about Dallas, but I assume it is the same as Austin....the termites live in the ground and travel via small 'mud' tunnels up your foundation into the sides of your house to 'feast'. You can periodically walk around the house and check the foundation for these mud tunnels. They are fairly small trails of mud (or whatever they really are) that run from the ground up to the siding.

Don't know how to check in a pier and beam house, but there are probably similar signs.
Yes, those are ways to spot termites in a house built on a cement foundation which I have since learned. I didn't know that before what happened in 2004.

Depicted in the photo below, I spotted this very strange site nearly overnight coming up from the floor to above my hot water heater. I had never seen such a thing in all my 50+ years.

I wasn't sure what it was, but I checked the internet and knew then it was termites. The creepy little things were crawling around in the dried mud on the wall. The mud on top of the water heater is caused by me prodding around with a pencil to see what was living inside this funky little home.

When I called the "termite man", he then told me about the tunnels from the ground up the foundation and into the house. Yes, I had a few of those too.
Anyway, that was 3 years ago and no sight of any since; I hope it stays that way.

How are these for massive tunnels?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/VAUGHANMARIE/Termites2004.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls01 View Post
Is this typical in DFW for all these bugs (spiders, ear wigs, ants, flies, etc..) to be out and about at this time of the year? Or is it because of all this rain we are getting? Does termites come out alot too becasue of all this rain?

Actually, I would say there are less bugs with all the rain than when it's hot and humid. The mosquitoes would be an exception though. I haven't noticed nearly as many flying bugs around lights this year. The June bug population is lower than normally. There not many of them at my back door at night trying to get into the house where "there is light." Usually, I can't even go outside without being bombarded by 20 or more. Gosh, I hate those crazy and freaky flying things.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
For the mosquitoes outside, I recommend Skin-So-Soft by Avon, and for your home, this stuff works wonders:

Ortho Home Defense Max: Product Information (http://www.orthohomedefense.com/scotts-sites/ortho-hdm/index.cfm?event=product - broken link)

Get the economy sized product, spray the base perimeter of your home/apartment (inside and outside), around each window, drains, etc.

Spray basically anywhere bugs come out of. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Since we're on the subject of bugs, does anyone know what I can use to kill carpenter ants that are invading my storage shed. I don't want to call an exterminator.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
Oh the web worms have been just awful. those things gross me out.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,433,414 times
For flies, try hanging a bag of water up with a penny in it. I saw this done at La Hacienda Ranch (eat) in Frisco and asked about it.....they said it works. I went home and googled it and it appears that the flies see the bags of water as giant spider webs and stay clear of the area. I still can't figure out what the penny in the bag does....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: