Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 37,415 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have an interview in Dallas next month that i'm super excited for. Problem is, I haven't owned a car for years as I've been living in chicago. I was planning to fly to Dallas, but I have no idea how to get from the airport to the hotel to the interview. Does Dallas have taxis? Can one just step outside one's hotel and get a taxi? How practical is the public transportation? It looks like the interview is near Love Field, and as i'm not familiar with Dallas I'm not sure how accessible that area is without a car. Would it be better to try to get a hotel closer to downtown (potentially increasing access to taxis, if a taxi would even take me out that far) or try to stay near the interview/airport?
I was born in Dallas, but know nothing about the layout of the city as we moved when I was really little. I've heard all my life about how great the people are though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
We do have taxi's but outside of airport and some bar districts close to town, you can't really step outside and hail one. Any decent hotel will have some numbers to call at the front desk to schedule a taxi though.

Public transport included the rail lines and buses. I've only really used the rail, so I can't be much help for buses. You can go to PowerTCP, PowerWEB, PowerSNMP ActiveX Controls and .NET Components and use their trip planner, or google maps, if you want to see if you can map a route from your hotel to the interview spot.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
It is fairly difficult to "hail" a cab in Dallas....even in the Downtown/Uptown areas. Public transportation options are incredibly limited and save for a few direct light rail routes, involve bus rides which are l-o-n-g and unreliable.

I would make plans in advance with a car service here in Dallas to get you to the hotel from the airport, and to/from your interview, and back to the airport. Bell Limousine (they have regular town cars, too) is one I have used and found to be very reliable.

I would also try to stay as close as possible to the job interview location - you could pick a hotel in Uptown Dallas and be about a 5-10 minute ride to Love Field. Uptown is a pretty walkable area so you could easily walk to dinner or aroudn the neighborhood if you have free time & want to check things out.

If you end up getting the Dallas job, you will really need to buy a car, so make sure the offer/ your Dallas budget allows for that.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
PS- you actually may consider just renting a car since all those cab rides will be well over $100 (probably more like $200 if you have to fly into DFW airport) and you can rent a car for a day for $35-ish.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
PS- you actually may consider just renting a car since all those cab rides will be well over $100 (probably more like $200 if you have to fly into DFW airport) and you can rent a car for a day for $35-ish.
This is probably the best advice. I've only had limited experience with Dallas cabs, but they weren't cheap experiences.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Renting a car would be a much better way to go than depending on cab service to take you around town. Rent a car and drive around to get a feel of the place. A car is a must have in the DFW area.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Definitely rent a car...that is assuming you have a driver's license!!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 37,415 times
I didn't even think of renting a car. Guess that shows how long it's been since I had to drive anywhere. On their website it looks like love field does have some car rental companies at the airport, so I guess I'm all set! Thanks everyone!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,923 times
rent a car nothing...

just buy a horse at the airport...that way you can get around like the rest of us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: