Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 30,615 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

Im moving to Dallas for a one year fellowship at Baylor University Medical Center and need some ideas/pointers on where to live.

I lived in the DFW area as a kid but have mainly been a coastal Texan and dont know much about Dallas.

Im 30 with a girlfriend and two labrador retrievers. Ideally I would like a house with a yard for the dogs. Since I only plan on being in the area for a year Im looking to rent. My price range is 2k/month and below. My hours will be 7-5 and ideally I'd like as short a drive as possible to the hospital though I would be willing to deal with a longer drive if it means having a bigger yard for the dogs (Rockwall area maybe?) but I could handle being in the city too if there is anything in my price range.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 02:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
You should be easily able to find a rental home - with yard- in East Dallas. Check zips 75214, 75206, and 75218. Neighborhood names are Lakewood, M Streets, Ridgewood Park, Hillside, Little Forrer Hills, Old Lake Highlands. All are within a 5-10 minute drive from Baylor. All are close to White Rock Lake which has two big dog parks close to Mockingbird Lane- one for big dogs & one for little dogs. There are lots of other parks & fields sprinkled in those neighborhoods where you can take your dogs to run them, play fetch, etc. All are also close to nightlife & restaurants in Knox-Henderson, Greenville Ave, Uptown & Downtown....all area popular with 20-40-somethings.

No need to live way out in Rockwall unless you're just dead-set on it.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:17 PM

88 posts, read 286,679 times
Welcome back to Dallas best locate a property close to Baylor based on your hours, M Streets, Lakewood a few locations

However lease in Dallas with 2 large dogs best have Realtor clear conditions prior showing the property you could waste spending $50 per adult for application fees turned down by the property owner

Dog deposits range approx. $500 plus security deposit is equal to one months rent based on credit scores. If scores are less than 630 anticipate pay double deposits.

Your estimated move in cost for $2000 per month are the following:
$ 100 per adult application fee I believe there are 2 adults
$2000 security deposit based on credit scores see note above
$2000 1st months rent
$ 500 dogs
______
$4600 Move in cost(s) estimated

There are few apartment's which offer small backyards which are less expensive for move in cost(s) of approx.

NOTE: Texas Real Estate Commission continually post scam alerts always use a Realtor assist in your search.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 AM

13 posts, read 30,615 times
Thanks for the info. Not dead set on rockwall but I will be bringing a boat and it would be nice to be near the lake. What would the commute from Rockwall to Baylor be?

Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
25-40 minutes to/from Rockwall, depending on where the home is exactly & daily traffic variances.

You expect to have A LOT of free-time in your fellowship if you're bringing a boat! My advice would be- if you plan to use the boat on weekends, live in East Dallas and go to Lake Ray Hubbard on the weekends. If you plan to use it 3-5+ times a week, Rockwall would be a better pick.

Also, what kind of boat- for skiing or fishing? Or a smaller sailboat? If you have a small sailboat, kayak or other non-motor boats, you can use them at White Rock Lake in East Dallas. It's a lot smaller than Lake Ray Hubbard, but something you could do near-daily while living in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas