Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,585 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

We've been renting in Coppell for the past 2 years and we were thinking it might be the time to buy a house.

We are looking at the Coppell-North Irving- north-west Carrollton area (and by that order as well).

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions for you guys in the future. I've been watching this forum for over a year and it is a great source of knowledge. If you don't mind I'll start with a short questions (but a long post... :-) )

Is there a good website where I can find up to date (or close to that) Houses Appreciation Rates for this areas? I don't mind paying for it if it is good. I want it to show results for the last year, 5 years and 10 years if possible and it must be by local areas, not just one rate for the entire Dallas area...

I found the following:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Coppell, Texas Real Estate Market - AOL Real Estate - rates look too low (- 1.6% for Coppell ???)

and even this:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/banking/homebuyingguide/p85324.aspbut (broken link) this outdated and too general (talks about the Dallas-Irving-Plano) area.

I guess I can get this info from a Realtor but I really don't want to waste anyone's time until we are 100% sure we want to actually go a head and buy.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Matt

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
The Dallas Morning News publishes a quarterly real estate report by area for the entire metroplex, including $/sf, number of solds, number of listings, DOM, etc. You can look old ones up in the DMN archives online to get a feel for the direction in your area.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:51 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,492 times
There is a website called Zillow that has each and every real estate property listed, and also has a bar chart for each property that shows the rise and/or fall in prices over various periods of time. You just scan the map (it looks like Google satellite view) and find a property you want to investigate, and click on it, and it will show you a lot of interesting info. Great way to find out what your neighbor paid for his house too.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Zillow is worthless in the Dallas area. Their estimates are so far off on many properties that it is not worth wasting ones time even looking at that site. It does NOT show what your neighbor paid for their house either. Texas is a non-disclosure state. What it MIGHT list is the price it was listed on MLS for but not what it sold for or even the mortgage amount that they got when they purchased it which is still not accurate at all for the actual purchase price.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Zillow is worthless in the Dallas area. Their estimates are so far off on many properties that it is not worth wasting ones time even looking at that site. It does NOT show what your neighbor paid for their house either. Texas is a non-disclosure state. What it MIGHT list is the price it was listed on MLS for but not what it sold for or even the mortgage amount that they got when they purchased it which is still not accurate at all for the actual purchase price.
Momof2, would rep you again, but can't.

Zillow is WORTHLESS, WORTHLESS in Dallas. Have tracked my condo's value (for fun) since I purchased it--> Zillow said the value fell by over $100k in late 2009 and is now worth about $75k more than the 2007 purchase price. Based on SOLD comps in my building (and we have sales nearly monthly), it's fallen about $20-25k and never ever rose in value that much.

Oh yeah, it also says I have a 2nd bedroom and an additional 400sf or something like that.

TOTALLY USELESS since Texas is a non-disclosure state for sales prices. I know Zillow works in some states, but not in Texas.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
I've owned multiple rental properties in various NE Tarrant County cities for years. If you are looking for long term valuation the only way you are going to get that, in an area where essentially there is no scarcity of land, is to to look at exclusive school districts in this order Southlake ISD, Argyle, Coppell ISD, Grapevine-Colleyville, Argyle, etc.

Stay away from areas where you have no limits on apartment building and acres and acres of tract homes. HEB, Mansfield, North Fort Worth, Northwest School district, most of Keller. And multiple high school school districts.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
As far as appreciation goes Coppell is one of the best around. It's not unusual to see homes at $120- $200 / sf where other areas will be much less.

Three things make this true about Coppeel, 1. One of the best locations in DFW. 2. Excellent Schools. and most importantly 3. The demand for a home there exceeds the supply.

Coppell is only about 35k people with a small amount of homes in every price range from $150k to $2M. Flower Mound would not exsist if all those people could have found a good home in Coppell.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Just curious, what is your price range. I've been following a house in Valley Ranch that is a good buy but the owner has made a few mistakes that are hurting the marketing of the house that could be easily remedied. It will probably wind up selling for about $310k, it's value is about $375k. If you want address let me know, I have absolutely no financial interest in this property. I just follow certain properties, I am an investor but not buying at this time simply for lack of time &money....

Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Zillow has my house at 200 sq ft less than it actually is, and my next-door neighbor's house with the wrong # of bedrooms. Can't speak about the values, but the basics are wrong...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,585 times
Thanks guys.

I've been (and still am) kind of flooded with work, so I'll have to look into this more seriously on the weekend.

I'll start by looking at the Dallas news, should be easy enough to start with :-)

Thanks again! great help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas