Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM

69 posts, read 139,753 times

Advertisements

We are a family with a son that will be a Senior in High School next year and Highland Village looks as a potential place to leave. We will be moving next summer.
It seems that the HS for that area is Marcus which has a good Football Team. My son has played as a defensive end for 11 seasons and will be interested in giving it a try.
Anyone has some information on this Team? How hard is it for a newcomer to be accepted? Is it even a possibility?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

6,823 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Flower Mound has a pretty good team every year. Most of the football players have played together for years so your son will need to be pretty good to see some playing time. I will give you son the same advice I gave minds when he first started playing football. The coach needs to know your first name by the second day of practice in order for you to earn a starting spot.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM

990 posts, read 2,304,042 times
if you move in during summer, make sure that he meets coaches and players during the offseason. I know its different by state, but Football is a year round sport in the UIL( Texas's public school governing body) and most guys are going through offseason workouts right now and possible spring ball in the april or may, so just be sure to have him stay in shape. That's expected of any high school player by coaches. Important to at least reach out to the staff and they'll likely get him any summer workout or get together type schedule such as get togethers or 7-on-7 the team will have. Its Texas, so they'll definitely be working out college style(minus the S&C coach not allowed contact until two-a-days) where its players seriously running their own workouts that have been put together professionally. Do those things and the bonding process goes much easier.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Quote:
Flower Mound has a pretty good team every year.
As a side note, Flower Mound High School and Marcus High School are two separate schools. Football in Texas is competitive. Very competitive. My little brother played for Flower Mound on one of their many JV A, B etc. teams though (I think Marcus has a similar setup). You can play, it's just very hard to make it to Varsity.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. He is certainly pretty good, a MVP several times and Team Captain for his whole last season. I'm aware how tough it can be in Texas. It's just that when I asked him if he would go for it he said "Obviously I'm going to give it a try, Dad".....we'll see what happens.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 PM

990 posts, read 2,304,042 times
If he ends up at Marcus, he'll end up on a very competitive team that was always known for airing it out, but last season switched to a really physical grind it out style. Deion Sanders Jr(yes, that Deion Sanders) was the QB last season, so I assume he'll be back as the QB. They have really big rivalries with Flower Mound and Lewisville High.

The big thing is of course he can do it he wants to. They are just kids like anywhere else. Just very structured and used to extreme football structure. Its not the end all though, plenty of good competition around the country, So I'm sure your son could come in where he left off it he does all the cliched things(work hard, take it day by day, get better everyday, lol)

here's a good HD highlight of them vs my Garland Owls. Marcus is the Ohio State looking bunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOzV...eature=related

Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
If he ends up at Marcus, he'll end up on a very competitive team that was always known for airing it out, but last season switched to a really physical grind it out style. Deion Sanders Jr(yes, that Deion Sanders) was the QB last season, so I assume he'll be back as the QB. They have really big rivalries with Flower Mound and Lewisville High.

here's a good HD highlight of them vs my Garland Owls. Marcus is the Ohio State looking bunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spOzV...eature=related
As others have said, it's not impossible but being a senior coming in he is going to have to get out there and prove over and over that he has it. Especially coming into a school that is very competitive that has several star athletes. Spring ball is a BIG DEAL here and if he can with UIL rules get here in the spring and enroll and start practicing w/ the team he has a much better shot of getting on the team his senior year. That might mean relocating during winter break if it is that important to him. Showing up over the summer and hoping to get on the team is going to be tough though. I'd check all the UIL rules and see when he needs to be here though for him to be eligible to play.

I was at that game We lost Our Owls this past season were a young team. Starting QB got hurt just before the season started and was out for the first few games. Our kicker is pretty darn AWESOME though. Hoping this coming year they have grown and matured and can go further in the playoffs. Discipline is a problem though and needs to be worked on. Too many stupid penalties (they have been watching too many Cowboy games I guess).

Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Great video! Thanks! I'll make sure he watches it and reads your posts.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
I was going to say that no matter where you think you might end up I'd SERIOUSLY consider moving down in the spring for him to play spring ball and get acquantied w/ the coaches and their system and for them to get to know him as they will already have been grooming someone to play every position and a new kid/player showing up in August is not going to be the first to play and may not play at all. Just remember, that once he starts to play for one school that he can't really change schools. Even with schools in the same district. Being a senior this is VERY important as they sometimes have to sit out a year.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Most of these coaches already have their teams lined up and unless he's a real superstar there's not much hope at those large high schools - maybe you ought to look into a smaller one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas