Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM

201 posts, read 829,296 times

Advertisements

I'm sure Texans laugh at the questions, the same way I laughed about earthquakes growing up in California, but my wife and I can't stop thinking about this. When the kids run out in the yard and hop in their playhouse, do we have to wonder if a rattlesnake is hiding out? we've never lived near snakes, and never had a large piece of land, we can't stop thinking hiding under a tree, behind a bush, or in the play area we'd end up finding a snake?

tell me I'm crazy, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
a little paranoid--
the more "lived in" your area is--probably the less you have to worry
snakes really don't like humans and usually won't stay in area where there is obvious human presence unless they have compelling reason--like their den is in area or there is good supply of food

we live in area in Hurst with city park that borders our backyard--and that part of the park has undeveloped land behind it that is pretty much overgrown with just lot of junky weeds/trees--
the city will mow the park section but the underveloped land is "natural"--
there are hawks in the trees and I know there are "animals" and I am sure snakes in the brush...but we have not found anything but garter/grass snakes around our house---

we have a cat however who will kill mice and a dog who is noisy--
we don't have any wood piles or outbuilding like sheds for snakes to really hide/den up in

that being said--
it is always "possible" to come across a snake on your property--just because they are native to this area
you just have to decide on the % of possible...
the products that are sold as "snake repellant" for using around your property are not really going to do that and some of them can be toxic so might not be good for your kids or pets

it is probably more likely that you would find a copperhead or rattlesnake in your flower beds when you were cleaning them out because they would be where it is cooler, looking for prey like lizards

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,284 times
I have lived in Texas all my life, even out in the country. I have never seen a live rattlesnake outside of a zoo type of setting. If you live in the city, you will probably never even encounter snakes. If you do, it is more likely to be a garter or grass snake, totally harmless.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Copperheads like to coil up in tall grasses too. The moccasins like the shady canopies of large sandstone rock outcroppings in the creeks.

Last edited by mm4; 01-30-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
C0L

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
I'm sure Texans laugh at the questions, the same way I laughed about earthquakes growing up in California, but my wife and I can't stop thinking about this. When the kids run out in the yard and hop in their playhouse, do we have to wonder if a rattlesnake is hiding out? we've never lived near snakes, and never had a large piece of land, we can't stop thinking hiding under a tree, behind a bush, or in the play area we'd end up finding a snake?

tell me I'm crazy, please!
Rattlesnakes aren't common in every region of the state. I've lived in the Dallas area my entire life and have never encountered a rattlesnake outside of a zoo or aquarium. I live less than a mile from a lake in a development and we mostly see Garter snakes. We've had Chicken and Rat snakes in birdhouses and under sheds. The closer to a creek, river, lake, or pond you live the more likely you might encounter Water Moccasins which are not your friends. And in addition to the water areas, if you're living in a more wooden area you might encounter Copperheads.

If you're living in a more rural area, keep the grass short and don't keep piles of wood, brush, or trash around. Make sure your kids wear shoes if they're going to be running around outside, and make sure they know to not mess around with a snake no matter what kind if they see one.

Here are some links that can help:
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea...ter-snakes.pdf

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/hea...n/venom/snake/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning...snakefaq.phtml

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/kids/wild_things/wildlife/snakes.phtm (broken link)

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/tdr01

Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
if you run a search for "snakes" on Dallas or FTW forums you will get other threads like this
some people who live in the area have found rattlesnakes or copperheads in their yards

I lived in Shreveport for several years long time ago and found/killed rattlesnakes twice on our lot--
we backed up to some cottenfields in that house

our house in Bedford backed to a natural creek and we saw water snakes in it sometimes--killed snakes in our yard a few times in the 20 yrs we lived there but dont remember any poisonous ones

think it is very unlikely you would have one--but if house is built in new area that was previously pasture or farm land (and there are still some sites like that in metroplex) then you just have to consider possibility there could be remnants that don't want to leave

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
As others have said, don't live next to a pond or creek, and you will likely never see a snake. Rattlesnakes are MUCH more common in the dry climate of West Texas than in anywhere east of I-35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas