Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,559 times

Advertisements

As the topic says, I'd like to get an idea of how the job market is here. I've checked around Houston and started to lose interest in moving there, and I'm skipping Austin because of the small-town mentality (Which I'm trying to escape in Arizona in the first place!).

I'm seeking entry level jobs that require a Computer Science Bachelors. My search in California ended up with severe disappointment, yet a blessing as moving to Cali would be a huge mistake.

Texas looks very promising in terms of atmosphere, but I'd rather not risk moving there without work. It was a total pain to find internship back in school which would of helped but to no avail and many job's I've applied to want nothing to do with college graduates. My networking skills went nowhere (still regarding Cali jobs) since layoffs in my field of computer animation were going on at large. So my fallback is my minor in programming. So late that I realized an art related degree is pretty useless to me now, but that's my issue.

I'm just checking to see if there is any work related to software programming, computer install/repair, information technology, some kind of engineering position I could fit my way into. Entry Level/Junior at least. I have checked some classifieds but maybe using the internet isn't very reliable... I wish I could get a Dallas newspaper mailed to me, heh.

Any help and information would be very appreciative, hope to hear some replies soon, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
There aren't very many jobs in The Dallas Morning News classified section, but I did notice Microsoft is hiring numerous positions. They are in Irving, which is a suburb of Dallas right next to the big airport. Check their website.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 PM

35 posts, read 61,181 times
I moved to Dallas for work. My squirrel zoo idea wasn't really taking off in El Paso.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
This state website might give you some ideas......free service

WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,710 times
Im not sure about your specific job field, but let me tell you this.
Dallas is a terrible place to live. The traffic is terrible, there is nothing to do here for fun unless you are 11, everythign is overhyped and very expensive. The sports here are impossible to go to, the nightlife is.....well there is non. The homes are expesive, the taxes are rediculous, the "no state tax" is a joke because the get you on everything else. The schools are not that great, people are freindly as long as you like fake super religous cookys freaks that are fake, the area is dirty. I lived in DC and Charlotte as well as Minneapolis and woudl go back to any one of them over here, I cant wait to leave. The only jobs that are hiring all the time are $10an hour retail jobs and Government jobs. It is misleading because all the local businesses are booming but no one is hiring.

If you enjoy Culture, diversity, museums, parks, water, sports and outdoors, then Dallas is not the place, but if you like dusty dirty expensive underimpressive ways to waste your money then cmon down y'all! I hate it here, sorry, But deffinately do you research and take a couple of trips here and do nothing but go out and about . Shopping dining, etc. do it at normal times and see how you like being here. And if you want to get FAT the this is a great place for that too, with all the food around it is impossible to stay thin

Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM

419 posts, read 998,358 times
I've read your blog -- it appears that you lived in Arlington and Grapevine, neither of which are even in Dallas County. You can't bash Dallas -- you've never even lived there.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Rtloucks,

I'm sorry you resent Dallas because you gained weight while living here. Perhaps your time would have been better spent with a daily 9-mile run around our beautiful White Rock Lake in East Dallas, mountain biking through Cedar Hill State Park or the Oak Cliff Nature Preserve, or training for a marathon or triathalon with Luke's Locker or Team in Training?

Or perhaps you could have lived in one of the wonderful in-town neighborhoods, where you could walk to the Arts District to spend Saturday afternoon at the spectacular world-class Nasher Sculpture Garden? Or caught a performance of Spring Awakening or South Pacifc at the Winspear? Or the talented symphony conductor Jaap at the Meyerson Symphony Center? Or cultivated a relationship with an emerging artist by going on the East Dallas Studio Tours? Or attended the Tate Lecture series at SMU to hear bright academic minds like the former director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art?

Or maybe you just bought a huge home in the sterile suburbs and never spent 5 seconds exploring the city of Dallas. Again, sorry about your expanded waistline. At least Dallas offers kick-a** shopping choices so you can buy a new bigger wardrobe at the after-Christmas sales next week

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Im not sure about your specific job field, but let me tell you this.
Dallas is a terrible place to live. The traffic is terrible, there is nothing to do here for fun unless you are 11, everythign is overhyped and very expensive. The sports here are impossible to go to, the nightlife is.....well there is non. The homes are expesive, the taxes are rediculous, the "no state tax" is a joke because the get you on everything else. The schools are not that great, people are freindly as long as you like fake super religous cookys freaks that are fake, the area is dirty. I lived in DC and Charlotte as well as Minneapolis and woudl go back to any one of them over here, I cant wait to leave. The only jobs that are hiring all the time are $10an hour retail jobs and Government jobs. It is misleading because all the local businesses are booming but no one is hiring.

If you enjoy Culture, diversity, museums, parks, water, sports and outdoors, then Dallas is not the place, but if you like dusty dirty expensive underimpressive ways to waste your money then cmon down y'all! I hate it here, sorry, But deffinately do you research and take a couple of trips here and do nothing but go out and about . Shopping dining, etc. do it at normal times and see how you like being here. And if you want to get FAT the this is a great place for that too, with all the food around it is impossible to stay thin

The schools are all terrible here, huh? That's ironic. I actually did go to school here and I can spell at a 7th grade level. Where did you go to school? Looking through your posts, you claim in one that you and your wife live here and in another that you and your husband live here. That's also a little confusing. I'm sorry you hate it here. I've lived somewhere before that I absolutely hated and it can feel terrible. Dallas is certainly not a fit for everybody, just like I'm sure Washington D.C. isn't either. Put the hamburger down if you're worried about getting fat. Otherwise, I have no advice to give you except that if it's so bad, maybe you should leave. Better luck in your future endeavors. Meanwhile, if all you are going to do is slander Dallas based on your own contempt for this place, maybe it's best to just not say anything at all.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

85 posts, read 217,558 times
You're skipping Austin because of the "small town" mentality??

You serious, Clark?? The Austin area is over 1 million people, and the town is BY FAR the best place to live in Texas. If you are a software programmer or CS major, Austin is much, much better for job placement than the other metro areas in Texas. Lots of VC money and tech-related start-ups are located there. It's been dubbed "Silicon Hills" because of the similar aspects to Silicon Valley.

There's my $0.02.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 30,620 times
Austin - Small-town mentality - what?

Please elaborate.

Austin is an incredible place to live. Incredibly diverse, friendly, young and just a great place to live.

Ive heard Austin described many ways but "small town mentality" is a new one for me.

And what the guy above me said - tech start-ups galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas