Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM

81 posts, read 307,389 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what areas in Dallas/ Ft Worth have the majority of "blue collar" jobs? I.e. Warehouse, manufacturing, general labor, etc? In the Chicagoland area, there are 'clusters' of warehouses in specific suburbs, didn't know if DFW is set up the same way?

My husband is trying to secure employment in this type of field, and want to get a feel for the areas! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moey91 View Post
Does anyone know what areas in Dallas/ Ft Worth have the majority of "blue collar" jobs? I.e. Warehouse, manufacturing, general labor, etc? In the Chicagoland area, there are 'clusters' of warehouses in specific suburbs, didn't know if DFW is set up the same way?

My husband is trying to secure employment in this type of field, and want to get a feel for the areas! Thanks!!
DFW is a massive hub for all manner of warehousing and manufacturing. There are several clusters of warehouses about town.

SE Plano
West Carrollton and west of Addison on Belt Line Road
Duncanville
Dallas - several areas including along Industrial Blvd., Regal Row, along Harry Hines and others
Arlington, Grand Prairie and Irving have some
West of Lewisville along 121
Fort Worth has a large area featuring several massive refrigerated warehouses along Gold Spike it may be Railhead instead. Radio Shack, Dillards and few others are close by. Out by Alliance Airport there are dozens of warehouses including Motorola and others.

DFW is also a hub for printing. All the big print shops have warehouses and assembly work too. DuPriest, May Advertising, Integra Color, Supreme, Englander, InkJet International, City Color, Color Dynamics, Performance, The Color Place, McDowell, MPI and about 50 other big ones.

If you could narrow down what hubby is good at I might be able to add a little focus.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
DFW is a massive hub for all manner of warehousing and manufacturing. There are several clusters of warehouses about town.

SE Plano
West Carrollton and west of Addison on Belt Line Road
Duncanville
Dallas - several areas including along Industrial Blvd., Regal Row, along Harry Hines and others
Arlington, Grand Prairie and Irving have some
West of Lewisville along 121
Fort Worth has a large area featuring several massive refrigerated warehouses along Gold Spike it may be Railhead instead. Radio Shack, Dillards and few others are close by. Out by Alliance Airport there are dozens of warehouses including Motorola and others.

DFW is also a hub for printing. All the big print shops have warehouses and assembly work too. DuPriest, May Advertising, Integra Color, Supreme, Englander, InkJet International, City Color, Color Dynamics, Performance, The Color Place, McDowell, MPI and about 50 other big ones.

If you could narrow down what hubby is good at I might be able to add a little focus.

Wow!! Oh my I didn't realize there was also printing down there too! Up here it's mostly freight and transport but everythings mostly in the same areas just grouped together. My husband used to work in a warehouse 5 years ago in TX but moved up here to IL and he went into retail up here. He's been trying to get back into the warehouses or anything labor really as entry level since it's been so long from the last time he worked in this field. We are moving down there and want to secure employment first. What has worked for me in the past is sending out resumes to all companies in the area whether they are hiring or not, so I wanted to condense my search. Thanks for all the info and your insight! We will be most likely moving to the mstreets area within the next 6 months so I'm ready to get crackin' !

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Wow!! Oh my I didn't realize there was also printing down there too! Up here it's mostly freight and transport but everythings mostly in the same areas just grouped together. My husband used to work in a warehouse 5 years ago in TX but moved up here to IL and he went into retail up here. He's been trying to get back into the warehouses or anything labor really as entry level since it's been so long from the last time he worked in this field. We are moving down there and want to secure employment first. What has worked for me in the past is sending out resumes to all companies in the area whether they are hiring or not, so I wanted to condense my search. Thanks for all the info and your insight! We will be most likely moving to the mstreets area within the next 6 months so I'm ready to get crackin' !
Does/can he drive a forklift? Reach truck? What did he do before?

Maybe have him DM me or respond to the thread?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:32 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
If I may throw mine in, I ran a cutting table for the last 5 years. I'm looking for something similar, in a metal or machine shop. Any suggestions?

Oh, and that did involve driving a fork truck if that matters.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If I may throw mine in, I ran a cutting table for the last 5 years. I'm looking for something similar, in a metal or machine shop. Any suggestions?

Oh, and that did involve driving a fork truck if that matters.
Hey got your DM but was away for a good bit.

What is a cutting table? Is that a CNC routing machine, water jet, laser?

Nearly all of the big print shops run CNC routers to cut paper-board and plastic.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM

My husband used to load/ unload trailers, and back then use the pallet jack (whatever that is, haha) but since then equipment has changed, and up here employers are reluctant to hire when your last experience was 5-6 years ago. I always wondered why, when hes basically looking for anything labor related (to get his foot in the door). Then again, its just another reason we are leaving Illinois.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
My husband used to load/ unload trailers, and back then use the pallet jack (whatever that is, haha) but since then equipment has changed, and up here employers are reluctant to hire when your last experience was 5-6 years ago. I always wondered why, when hes basically looking for anything labor related (to get his foot in the door). Then again, its just another reason we are leaving Illinois.
A pallet jack is kind-of a fork-lift that one walks behind.

Many thousands of businesses in DFW own at least one pallet jack. Every grocery store, every warehouse, every cold storage food complex etc.

I'll ask and see if any of my old buddies in the printing business have anything.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
A pallet jack is kind-of a fork-lift that one walks behind.

Many thousands of businesses in DFW own at least one pallet jack. Every grocery store, every warehouse, every cold storage food complex etc.

I'll ask and see if any of my old buddies in the printing business have anything.

That would be awesome EDS, any help we could get is always appreciated. Everyone on this forum has been extremely helpful, I know I made a good decision in choosing Dallas

Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
Quote:
Hey got your DM but was away for a good bit.

What is a cutting table? Is that a CNC routing machine, water jet, laser?

Nearly all of the big print shops run CNC routers to cut paper-board and plastic.
It's a machine that cuts designs out of plate metal, in this case with a gas or plasma torch. All the modern ones are CNC, but the one I ran was manufactured in February of 1981, three months before I was born, and had an optical drive system. Transferring to a CNC version of it would be very easy. Transferring to another type of cutting table, like a water jet table, probably wouldn't be very difficult, but might take a little training. Other CNC machines are significantly different, and while I'd love to become a machinist, it's hard to find anyone that wants to train right now. However, many machine shops do have cutting tables of some kind so they'd be worth me checking out.

If you think any print shops might train me (I do have a computer degree and manufacturing experience), then I'll all for that. I'm going to Dallas Friday so if you know of any particular businesses I should check, or even just dense industrial areas where I can drive around looking, let me know. I looked all down Industrial Blvd on Google Maps street view (it's called Riverside Blvd on there for some reason) and mostly just saw auto salvage, bail bonders, and liquor stores, nothing that interested me. I didn't check the others but there has to be some area with a lot of heavy industry equivalent to Longview's Fisher Rd, southwest loop, W Marshall Ave, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas