Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

16 posts, read 52,753 times

Advertisements

ok so some things have changed in my life... for the better.

anyway, my bf and I are looking to buy a condo/townhouse or small single-family home. I work downtown Dallas and he works in the infomart. We would (he would, actually) like to cut down our drive time -- we live in the HEB area right now. I'm perfectly ok with taking the TRE into work.

We have no concern about schools, for his son lives in Oklahoma with the mother. We do want a nice, starter place around $100-145k. He calls me a "penny pincher." (money should be used for other things like: vacations! and spoiling his son and our dogs. haha.)

My BIGGEST concern is, of course, the area. (i.e. SAFETY. heh.)

Any recommendations??

Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 52,753 times
forty views and still no recommendations.....

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKay View Post
forty views and still no recommendations.....
The price range is the deal breaker . In that price it is going to be hard to do. Most of the areas to the north and a bit to the east of downtown are undergoing major revitalizations and the costs are going up. The only luck may be to fall into a heck of a deal in an area that is on the cusp of catching the wave.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
That price range will be tough, although you might look at the older homes in Richardson between Coit, Campbell, Central and Belt Line.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
That price range will be tough, although you might look at the older homes in Richardson between Coit, Campbell, Central and Belt Line.
That is an option and it would also be convienent for DART rail. Richardson Heights is one neighborhood and some parts of Lake Highlands might be an option. These would be single family homes.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
And it sounds like (from the other thread) that that price range will get them a new house in Heartland in Kaufman County.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
And it sounds like (from the other thread) that that price range will get them a new house in Heartland in Kaufman County.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
I don't know the name of the neighborhood, but the street Cloverdale is in it. It's just east of Richardson High School. We saw several cute houses there in the $139-$145 range (3 bed, 2 bath), before we upped our range because we wanted a bigger kitchen and more updating.

I just did a realtor.com search on zip code 75080 and found lots of houses in the OP's price range.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,598,287 times
I believe in that range you can get into Live Oak Lofts. It's going to be right on the DART rail in a couple years, once the construction is complete. Access to the Infomart and Downtown would literally be just minutes away!

What does your bf do in the infomart? Does he work for Equinix by any chance? We have a cage in that facility for network gear.

Brian

Old 07-19-2007, 02:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
That price range is tough - I think the area around Live Oak Lofts would be great also. I believe in today's paper there is a story about something in that price range in the redeveloping Cedar Springs area next to the Tollway.

Also you could get something for that in Mount Auburn next to Tenison Park, where they have the golf courses and Shakespeare Festival - but you would be taking a big risk as that area is sort of down now and not too safe but is in the path of redevelopment and has great schools. The streets next to Hollywood Heights would be your best bet. But then again, no risk, no reward as 'they' say...

If you could go a bit higher you could get a fixer-upper Craftsman Bungalow in Junius Heights Historic District, which is a pretty good bet for appreciation - and Lipscomb Elementary has been exemplary for several years (I know you don't have kids, but) and it's very dog-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas