Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya.64 View Post
Thing with Preston Hollow is that most of the houses appear to need some work, even with a 800,000 price tag. I am no stranger to renovating, we did a huge renovation back in Sydney only to live in it for 2 months before relocating...again! But, spending that kind of money and then having to put yet another $$$ into the house on top of having to pay for private schools, all makes PH look a little less attractive to me.

Txgolfer, where exactly is Castle Hills located? What ISD? Also, is this near or on a golf course, my hub is an obsessive golfer! I say that lovingly!
Yes, that is the thing about preston hollow. Have you looked at the Willow Bend area? The enclave is nice, and is on a golf course, which is to say the least, EXTREMELY nice, but private. Gleneagles Country Club / Clubs / Home - ClubCorp

In McKinney, there is SBR which has a very nice course, also private and Eldorado CC which is also private. There is Westridge which is located next to SBR, and a city course.

Castle Hills is awesome, and while I understand your hesitancy, my friends kids were flourishing in LISD. Castle Hills IS an awesome place.

Have you looked at Glenhollow/Westover Estates? They're off of the Tollway & Parker I believe. Also a nice area.

Frisco also has some AWESOME areas on golf courses that are well within your budget w/ nice lots and HUGE homes. But, you'll feel a little more out in the sticks, but not much. 5-10 min. down the Tollway and your back at the Shops @ Willow Brook. 20-25 min. to the Galleria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM

59 posts, read 105,731 times
You may want to look at specific schools rather than the entire district. I think all of the area districts have deficits. Check out this story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/plano/headlines/20110222-plano-isd-unveils-first-look-at-broadscale-cuts.ece

Old 02-23-2011, 08:24 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Here's more info on schools and CH. The schools that serve CH receive additional funding from the community and are rated exemplary. The first time I drove up to that subdivision I thought it must have been developed by Disneyland. Made me want to vomit I thought the entrance was so ostentatious. However the community does have many who love it.

Castle Hills Texas : Lewisville Schools

Here is a better website for castle hills.

Welcome to Castle Hills | Premier North Dallas Residential Community

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya.64 View Post
Thing with Preston Hollow is that most of the houses appear to need some work, even with a 800,000 price tag. I am no stranger to renovating, we did a huge renovation back in Sydney only to live in it for 2 months before relocating...again! But, spending that kind of money and then having to put yet another $$$ into the house on top of having to pay for private schools, all makes PH look a little less attractive to me.

Txgolfer, where exactly is Castle Hills located? What ISD? Also, is this near or on a golf course, my hub is an obsessive golfer! I say that lovingly!
Make sure you're checking the zips around Old Preston Hollow, too: 75230, 75229, and 75225 (north of Northwest Hwy, south of there is UP).

I don't know what you're looking for, but you can find tons of gorgeous sprawling 1950's ranch homes on 1/3-1/2 acre (much bigger lots than Collin County & other suburbs) lots that are in the 3,000-4,000sf range in 75230. They have good bones & great floor plans- generally 4 bed/ 3-4 bath, formals, open kitchen/ den, and yards big enough for pool + yard or tennis courts + pool or just huge yard. Kitchens & baths have been updated recently in about 80% of listings. Most have attached 2 car garages. The most "offensive" renovation needed tends to be lots of wallpaper- especially in bathrooms, dining rooms, & foyer.

The going rate for these homes is $475-700k the wide variance accounts for location ("estate" section between Preston & Hillcrest has biggest lots & more secluded streets).

There's a gorgeous home that's very contemporary on the inside on Northaven listed at $599k-ish right now. Check it out!

The elementary school is Exemplary (Kramer). There are winding "country-ish" lanes and many homes back to creeks or private lakes.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,442 times
You've gotten some great suggestions! You are fortunate that your budget allows you MANY options in the DFW area. Just take your time to investigate each area and see what is the best fit for your family. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM

17 posts, read 32,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Make sure you're checking the zips around Old Preston Hollow, too: 75230, 75229, and 75225 (north of Northwest Hwy, south of there is UP).

I don't know what you're looking for, but you can find tons of gorgeous sprawling 1950's ranch homes on 1/3-1/2 acre (much bigger lots than Collin County & other suburbs) lots that are in the 3,000-4,000sf range in 75230. They have good bones & great floor plans- generally 4 bed/ 3-4 bath, formals, open kitchen/ den, and yards big enough for pool + yard or tennis courts + pool or just huge yard. Kitchens & baths have been updated recently in about 80% of listings. Most have attached 2 car garages. The most "offensive" renovation needed tends to be lots of wallpaper- especially in bathrooms, dining rooms, & foyer.

The going rate for these homes is $475-700k the wide variance accounts for location ("estate" section between Preston & Hillcrest has biggest lots & more secluded streets).

There's a gorgeous home that's very contemporary on the inside on Northaven listed at $599k-ish right now. Check it out!

The elementary school is Exemplary (Kramer). There are winding "country-ish" lanes and many homes back to creeks or private lakes.

I am a sucker for winding country-ish lanes! I will check out that Northaven listing.... we lean towards more traditional architecture though!

I will also ask our realtor, who has been fabulous, to organize some showings for us in PH. I have our 13 year old enrolled at St Patricks Catholic School which feeds to Bishop Feehan, so we have our bases covered if we go that route.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
You've gotten some great suggestions! You are fortunate that your budget allows you MANY options in the DFW area. Just take your time to investigate each area and see what is the best fit for your family. Good luck!

We are lucky to have such a good budget! Unfortunately that did not help us when we moved here to Minneapolis, we did not do our homework! I know some people love MN, but it's a toughie for relo people.

We are making every effort to make all the right decisions this time around. We want to stay put in DFW for a long time.

I want to once again tell everyone on this forum that I appreciate all of the advice that I have received, it is INVALUABLE!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,707 times
I noticed you said you were from Australia and wondered if you were aware the Australian PGA Tour player Nathan Green lives at Craig Ranch?

A lot of the information that other posts have given about Craig Ranch is outdated. Since the 121 Tollway recently opened, it only takes about 10 minutes to get from McKinney to EDS. Craig Ranch is in the Frisco school district, which has excellent schools. Since you said you are the outdoorsy type, all of the amenities at Craig Ranch are perfect for your lifestyle- from the TPC golf course to Cooper Fitness Center to the fitness trails and ball fields.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM

That is interesting information. How do you know about the Aussie Golfer? And based on the outdated opinion of Craigs Ranch, what is your view? Because I am really confused

Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,707 times
Everyone knows about Nathan. He won the Canadian Open and lives in Craig Ranch. From what one of my girlfriends tells me, the community has adopted him as one of their own and the guys say he is a permanent fixture at the TPC Craig Ranch. A lot of PGA TOUR players practice there because the PGA Tour has ownership in the club.
I can imagine you are confused. You really need to visit the community when you are here and drive the route to your husband's office during rush hour. Have you seen the website www.craigranchtx.com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas