Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times

Advertisements

Any one here work in Human Resources? How strict are Dallas Fort Worth area companies when it comes to background checks?

Does DFW companies check for only felony and misdeamnor convictions or do they check for if you to see if you were ever charged with a felony or misdeamnor?

How far does back does DFW companies check your background? 7 years? 9 years? 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
It's going to vary by company and by the individual jobs you're applying for. There is no "blanket" DFW area background check requirement.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Be honest. I don't want to hire someone then find out I can't insure them to drive one of our vehicles due to their driving record. Don't want to hire someone then find out they can't get the license they need due to their background. I don't want to hire someone and find out they have to take off for a couple of hours every two weeks to go meet w/ their parole officer. BE HONEST!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM

325 posts, read 757,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Be honest. I don't want to hire someone then find out I can't insure them to drive one of our vehicles due to their driving record. Don't want to hire someone then find out they can't get the license they need due to their background. I don't want to hire someone and find out they have to take off for a couple of hours every two weeks to go meet w/ their parole officer. BE HONEST!
+1 If you don't disclose it, there's an excellent chance it might come out in any vetting process anyways, and in all likelihood that would get your application sent to the round receptacle. Be up front about it, they're more likely to appreciate your candor. If you hide it, they'll assume that's speaking volumes about your present character as well...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
+1 If you don't disclose it, there's an excellent chance it might come out in any vetting process anyways, and in all likelihood that would get your application sent to the round receptacle. Be up front about it, they're more likely to appreciate your candor. If you hide it, they'll assume that's speaking volumes about your present character as well...
I was standing up front by the admin one day when young guy came in to apply dressed very presentable. He had seen we were hiring for drivers w/ a CDL and he had one. He upfront asked if we hired w/ a record. I asked what and he told me and it was fine w/ me (misdemeanor). Gave him an app. He passed the screening, drug tests, had all the required licenses already and homeland security background check done. He was hired. Turned out to be a good hard worker and dependable. He ended up moving a year or so later due to his wife getting a big job offer out of state.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Why don't you pay for a background check on yourself and see what shows up? Almost all the background searches involve paying a company to run a public records search. Contact one of the major companies and find out how you can do this.....others have done it. Worth the money if you have any concerns.

https://www.talentwise.com/employmen...ml?trackit=258

Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I do work in HR, and you have gotten some good advice here. It does depend on the position you are applying for, and also on the employer's particular policies about what type of convictions they will allow and how long ago. FYI: According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, employers can only consider convictions, not arrests or dismissed charges, when reviewing an applicant's criminal background. You MUST disclose the convictions before the background check is run; failure to be honest up front about your criminal record is an easy reason for an employer to rescind a job offer!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Christie is dead on right. And many companies considering falsifying an application to be a termination offense regardless of when it's found out that you lied. Same as I told my daughter growing up - best not compound your trouble by lying.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Why would Dallas be any different from any other city?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM

215 posts, read 1,534,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Why would Dallas be any different from any other city?
I work California, and California can only ask about about felony and misdemeanors charges that resulted in Convictions, meaning most first and second time offenders can get deferred adjudication
and probation/community service for felony charges. So you can be charged with a felony in California but ask for deferred adjudication, do probation and community service and at the end of the probation and community service, if completed successfully, California will drop the charges. So Employers in California can NEVER ask about the charges, arrest, probation or deferred adjudication on a employment application. Also, employers in California can NEVER see the charges, arrest, probation, deferred adjudication and etc when doing a background checks. This is all California State Law.

Texas is different i think, It seems in Texas, employers can ask about any arrest, charges, probation, and deferred adjudication, whether it lead to a conviction or not.

i was thinking of moving to Dallas Fort Worth because DFW has a great jobmarket and the DFW pays pretty good salaries for talented high tech folks and the cost of living is cheap. I am Software Engineer/ IT Professional but the strict background checks may prevent me from moving to DFW.

Last edited by RockhetHD; 03-10-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: