Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 19,529 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking into moving into the Dallas, Texas area (preferably, but would be open to somewhere else in Texas given the right place). We have a school age child that is actively involved in sports, so it is very important that the area is gay friendly. Which means schools are important too. We live in a town now that is not very accepting. When I say gay friendly I don't mean the type of places where people act cool to your face but talk sh** behind your back. We don't want our child being judged because of our choices. In my opinion if you can walk down the street holding your partners hand without the snap of a neck or rude comments then your good to go. It doesn't have to be a gayborhood, just gay friendly. We don't want anything to big seeing as though a lot of places in Texas are booming right now. But at the same time we don't want to be in the middle of no where. Also we want to have access to the city where there is actually something to do for both us as a couple and a family, 30 mins top commute. We are interested in buying a nice 4 bedroom house with a pool preferably no more than $200,000 with decent cost of living. Any information on this is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjusme View Post
My partner and I are looking into moving into the Dallas, Texas area (preferably, but would be open to somewhere else in Texas given the right place). We have a school age child that is actively involved in sports, so it is very important that the area is gay friendly. Which means schools are important too. We live in a town now that is not very accepting. When I say gay friendly I don't mean the type of places where people act cool to your face but talk sh** behind your back. We don't want our child being judged because of our choices. In my opinion if you can walk down the street holding your partners hand without the snap of a neck or rude comments then your good to go. It doesn't have to be a gayborhood, just gay friendly. We don't want anything to big seeing as though a lot of places in Texas are booming right now. But at the same time we don't want to be in the middle of no where. Also we want to have access to the city where there is actually something to do for both us as a couple and a family, 30 mins top commute. We are interested in buying a nice 4 bedroom house with a pool preferably no more than $200,000 with decent cost of living. Any information on this is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
You are moving to Texas. The suburbs are not known for their gay hospitality. Meaning the walking down the street holding hands might get looks.Moderator cut: not allowed It is a great area and the schools are decent. Parts of Dallas would work to, but I think the suburbs might not be exactly what you want. Good luck.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-17-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,201 times
a nice 4 bedroom house with a pool preferably no more than $200,000

I dont think its very realistic??? Then again I am not a realtor.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
A lot of Dallas suburbs are quite conservative, but I've known a couple of gay couples in Garland who seem to do fine out in the open.

$200K will give you a lot of options in Garland as well and good schools with IB/G&T programs.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
My son has 2 lesbian friends who have lived in Flower Mound for at least 4 yrs. They have 2 children and don't seem to have problems. I don't know about their PDA.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
I think your home expectations for that price range are more of a problem than finding a welcoming neighborhood.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think your home expectations for that price range are more of a problem than finding a welcoming neighborhood.

Why do you say that? I can't think of a suburb in all of DFW outside of Park Cities where you wouldn't be able to find a nice four bedroom home for under $200,000. Now, if they want a 3,000+ sqft home built in the last 10 years, that is another story. But I didn't see the OP specify that.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Why do you say that? I can't think of a suburb in all of DFW outside of Park Cities where you wouldn't be able to find a nice four bedroom home for under $200,000. Now, if they want a 3,000+ sqft home built in the last 10 years, that is another story. But I didn't see the OP specify that.
You're right. It could just be the way I read the op....I tend to assume people moving here looking for nice + 4br + pool are all wanting brand new homes since that's what 95% of them want. If OP is open to older homes & burbs then they'll have more options.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

True, that is what the vast majority of people come here looking for.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
Any neighborhood in OakLawn or Deep Ellum would be the most welcoming in Dallas. But if you want suburbs I guess you could try Addison, Texas ... or Carrollton, Texas. You will get more benefits living in Dallas IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas