Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 52,351 times

Advertisements

which is a family better of the two for a young family from california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,471,838 times
Whichever one is closest to work.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,611 times
I personally would go with Frisco as there are plenty of quality schools to select from. I go for the schools when making my decisions and then I go with proximity to work.

Frisco is newer in the sense of homes. Grapevine is smaller yet has some nice areas to search. I think both have reputations for being family friendly communities. You don't hear about the schools as much in Grapevine. Again, schools would be my first criteria.

Goodluck and welcome to Texas.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:55 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,621 times
Grapevine/Colleyville ISD is a Very good school district. Part of Grapevine is older, however, part of Grapevine is very new with some gorgeous homes. I like Grapevine. It has character. My sister in law who lives in Southlake also would prefer Grapevine over Frisco. Sometimes secrets about good things like Grapevine/Colleyville ISD are worth keeping.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:59 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
These two are pretty far from each other, and both are very nice places to live in their own regard. I'd locate employment first, then choose.

You'll be happy in either place. Colleyville ISD probably has a better track record than Frisco simply because it has more history. Frisco is still pretty new in that regard. However, much of the the Frisco ISD are former Plano ISD folks, so you can already see that Frisco ISD is attempting to emulate Plano's success. Again, both places are really nice, but I doubt these 2 would end up on anyone's short list together because they are on opposite sides of the metroplex.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:03 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
As a Grapevine resident, I'll say that I love my town! DH and I live in an older home near the historic downtown district, and we really like that our neighborhood has character and all of the homes aren't "cookie cutters" like in newer suburbs. We know all of our neighbors, and we have a super National Night Out picnic each year! Plus, the city has two GREAT festivals (Main Street Days and Grapefest) each year that we always attend. Our streets are well-maintained and adequately-sized for the traffic load, and the city parks, community center and library are first-rate!

Since we don't have children, I cannot speak about the GCISD personally, but I have read very good things about it in the newspaper and heard from my neighbors that Grapevine High School is especially good.

Frisco, to me, is too new and too crowded already. The city grew so fast that the infrastructure (roads/schools) took a few years to catch up. I have friends there that I go visit occasionally, and the traffic is NUTS! Yes, there is every retail store in the world there, but the traffic is AWFUL! The homes in each neighborhood are "cookie cutter" and all the same, or "McMansions" that are so ostentatious and NOT my style! Plus, these neighborhoods have HOAs that can be really, really picky about you putting a flagpole or a park bench in your front yard! No thanks...

Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,611 times
After reading some of these posts I think I would have to look more into Grapevine. I was the Frisco cheerleader earlier in one of my posts but those that live in or near Grapevine have some very valid points.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM

Frisco is a really nice town and getting nicer every day. The sports venues there are excellent and the shopping is second to none.

Not sure I'd throw it under the bus yet.

Again, both are nice areas, but I'd pick the one closer to your work. I work in Richardson, so it would be nuts to drive back and forth to Grapevine just because it has more established older areas than Frisco. You can find those close to your work as well....there are dozens of them here all over.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Of course living close to where you work is always the best solution!! ;-)

Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Especially when both places on your short list are excellent spots to live.

That's one of the charms of DFW. Just about anywhere you work has lots of urban and suburban areas to choose from that are nice. It's not like some areas where all the nice spots are concentrated into one geographical area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas