Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,598 times

Advertisements

resale in dfw is better with pool or without pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Depends on the price point and location. Too many variables to say one way or the other.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,598 times
friso, plano or allen in 400's

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Pools are interesting. People have strong feelings about them- wanting them vs not wanting them. Rarely is a buyer "undecided" about having a pool.

If you want one, buy a home with one. When you sell, there will be enough other pool fanatics to sell to......as long as you buy in a good location to begin with. Location & schools are a far more important selling factor than a pool.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:37 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,900 times
Seems like there are LOTS of homes in Dallas with pools...at least when I compare it to homes in Atlanta where I currently live.

Today we closed on a home in Dallas with a pool. My kids are older and have always wanted one so it was a criteria for us. My non-swimmer husband, who has never even been to the community pool in our current neighborhood, felt the need to take a quick dip in our new pool after the closing. . Time will tell if it affects our resale down the road, but it was definitely what we were looking for.

At the moment I am merely an outsider looking at the Dallas market. But I can't imagine it being too much of a drawback in the DFW given the Texas summers and mild winters.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,928,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Pools are interesting. People have strong feelings about them- wanting them vs not wanting them. Rarely is a buyer "undecided" about having a pool.
Very true. My wife has bad memories of endlessly performing pool maintenance growing up, so she had ZERO interest in any house with a pool when we relocated to DFW.

When we upgraded to a larger house a few years back, one of the factors driving us to a new build was the limited availability of existing houses without pools at our chosen price point. So we were clearly in the minority. That didn't change the fact that we simply were NOT going to buy a house with a pool. You see refreshing dips in the evening, I see broken pumps and monthly cleaning bills.

Will the lack of a pool bite me at resale time? Maybe, but my anticipated horizon for moving is so far out that any pool I might have installed would be breaking down by then.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM

85 posts, read 158,474 times
this is dfw so weather dictates pool as a plus. 80% luxury and sub-luxury buyers demand a pool. maintainance is not that expensive or difficult and buying a house with a pool is way ecnomical than getting one but people do it all the time. story is different for lower end homes.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Very true. My wife has bad memories of endlessly performing pool maintenance growing up, so she had ZERO interest in any house with a pool when we relocated to DFW.

When we upgraded to a larger house a few years back, one of the factors driving us to a new build was the limited availability of existing houses without pools at our chosen price point. So we were clearly in the minority. That didn't change the fact that we simply were NOT going to buy a house with a pool. You see refreshing dips in the evening, I see broken pumps and monthly cleaning bills.

Will the lack of a pool bite me at resale time? Maybe, but my anticipated horizon for moving is so far out that any pool I might have installed would be breaking down by then.
I'm in the same boat with you. Most of our friends that have pools RARELY use them, they get bored with them. They tell us to come and use them anytime we want.. and we do.. but we would never want one. $150- $200 per month having it cleaned? No thanks. Broken pumps and higher water bills, no thanks. Pools are over rated in my opinion.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I'm in the same boat with you. Most of our friends that have pools RARELY use them, they get bored with them. They tell us to come and use them anytime we want.. and we do.. but we would never want one. $150- $200 per month having it cleaned? No thanks. Broken pumps and higher water bills, no thanks. Pools are over rated in my opinion.
Count me in the anti-pool crowd, too. DH and I have no children, and when we bought, we specifically told our Realtor NO POOLS! Instead, our backyard has a wonderful covered patio/deck for relaxing and grilling. Incedentally, our next-door neighbors have a pool, and they might use it 4 times a year...

Old 04-21-2011, 08:02 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,664 times
I think it can be a good selling point to have a "pool-sized yard", regardless of whether a pool is already in it or not. That way, the option is there to add one later for those who really want one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas