Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
Seriously. Is there some kind of law on how much an apartment can raise a resident's rate at the end of their lease?

This is a 22% annual increase over what I pay right now.... sick
We also need a law that says you can't move out if you find a better place to live when rents fall. Its not fair to the landlord.

Seriously, what is going to incentivize a builder to build a new apartment unless there is a rise in prices?

The DFW area is growing and that means that the slump in rental prices is over with.

Everything is negotiable. I would not take the attempt to raise rent as a personal thing. Go down and negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
apartments are hoping that you are too lazy to move. No one likes to move and apartments know this. Find a cheaper place and move is the best option. Or buy a house. I was paying a little over $1200 for a two bedroom in plano up until a few months ago. I bought a brand new house that is 100X's nicer than the apartment I had and my mortgage is less than the rent I was paying. And no more listening to my neighbor's kids stomp on the floor above me!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 PM

294 posts, read 233,324 times
I own several properties in the North Oak Lawn area....(north of Lemmon) and have never advertised a unit except placing a sign outside. A majority of prospects call and ask if I would hold it for 60 days....ahh sorry no. All the complexes have a 60 day notice to move which makes it hard for people to give a notice and then find some other place. Yes there are some bad individual landlords but you need to size them up like they size you up. It does take more time and effort to drive the streets and look for signs but that's how it works in this area if you want a good unit and landlord that does not jump up the rent when the first year lease is up. Best areas to drive and look is the North of Lemmon area south of Highland Park, the Mansion area and the four streets on both sides of Fitzhugh that is Uptown Lite or North..... Sad to say but not everything can be done online or with your smart phone. Take a couple of days, drive around and it will pay off big time.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM

7 posts, read 13,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I won't tell you how much the places I'm looking at cost. Ok, I will. $1900 for 2bd 2ba 900sq feet. My mortgage was...$1100 with insurance and all that jazz. C'est la vie.
Yes, our rent for something similar near the Knox/Henderson area just rose from $1300 a month to $1900. That is almost a 50% increase! Insane....

Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB_Dallas View Post
Yes, our rent for something similar near the Knox/Henderson area just rose from $1300 a month to $1900. That is almost a 50% increase! Insane....
Our Uptown rent went from $1900 to $2400 in two years...we renegotiated for $2200.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM

294 posts, read 233,324 times
If you use all the perks of a large new complex like the pools, workout areas, secured parking and business office areas or have the need to be entertained by their social gatherings then maybe the rents are worth it.........but really now who is the more insane party the one asking or the one paying. Just saw a sign this am for a loft apartment with garage in a five plex in the north Oak Lawn area asking 975.00 for 780 sq ft. completely remodeled with new appliances etc. If was a in a large corp complex with the extras it would easily go for 1600 or higher. Will see if the sign lasts thru the weekend

Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Anyone paying $2k or even $1500 to live in an apartment is crazy. There are big HOUSES for the same price, if not less...

Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Anyone paying $2k or even $1500 to live in an apartment is crazy. There are big HOUSES for the same price, if not less...
Not in Uptown, Oak Lawn, or Turtle Creek. Not all of us want to live in a tract home in the suburbs.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Not in Uptown, Oak Lawn, or Turtle Creek. Not all of us want to live in a tract home in the suburbs.
True. Sometimes living in McKinney makes me want to punch myself in the face for moving up here.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwuno View Post
I own several properties in the North Oak Lawn area....(north of Lemmon) and have never advertised a unit except placing a sign outside. A majority of prospects call and ask if I would hold it for 60 days....ahh sorry no. All the complexes have a 60 day notice to move which makes it hard for people to give a notice and then find some other place. Yes there are some bad individual landlords but you need to size them up like they size you up. It does take more time and effort to drive the streets and look for signs but that's how it works in this area if you want a good unit and landlord that does not jump up the rent when the first year lease is up. Best areas to drive and look is the North of Lemmon area south of Highland Park, the Mansion area and the four streets on both sides of Fitzhugh that is Uptown Lite or North..... Sad to say but not everything can be done online or with your smart phone. Take a couple of days, drive around and it will pay off big time.
So 60-day notice is de rigueur in Dallas too? I was baffled why of all the places I've ever lived, Austin was the only place where landlords required a 60-day notice. It does take a deep breath and a roll of the dice to give 60 days notice and then hope something you like is available two months out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: