U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
15,776 posts, read 14,021,583 times
Reputation: 12967

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
My family has had a place at Lake Texoma for about 50 years. I remember stopping in Plano to get gas - the west side of Central only had a gas station and cotton fields.
When I was growing up, Plano was way "out there" and I had never even heard of places like Frisco, Allen, McKinney, etc. I only discovered those places existed relatively recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
 
8,234 posts, read 11,132,901 times
Reputation: 5682
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I remember driving through "the country" when going from Dallas to Richardson!
I remember seeing horses & wildflowers galore where the Blue Mesa/ Cheesecake/ Barnes & Noble/ Container Store is just south of NorthPark mall...and that was only 15-16 years ago!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
 
8,234 posts, read 11,132,901 times
Reputation: 5682
Will the Metroplex ever extend that far north? No, I really don't think so. At some point, gas prices are going to sustain over $5/gallon and people are going to start either moving back into the city/inner ring suburbs because they simply can't afford $1,000 gas bills each month to live out in the sticks in a brand new home. Or we will see the southern half of the metroplex finally re-developed and populated. Allen and Waxahachie are about the same amount of miles from downtown Dallas, yet the I-35S corridor is barely developed once you're south of I-20. It will happen. Eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 02:26 PM
 
14,614 posts, read 27,531,280 times
Reputation: 5075
I can see Denton being more hub for its own developing area
just needs business to sustain it
the two universities are amping up as well with UNT wanting to achieve major status to compete with UT Austin and TAMU--stupid in my opinion--another state university is more to satisfy the ambitions of that college's president and board--
you can give a quality education without being a powerhouse in state politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Denton, Texas, Republic of
124 posts, read 117,549 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I can see Denton being more hub for its own developing area
just needs business to sustain it
the two universities are amping up as well with UNT wanting to achieve major status to compete with UT Austin and TAMU--stupid in my opinion--another state university is more to satisfy the ambitions of that college's president and board--
you can give a quality education without being a powerhouse in state politics
That's true, you can give a quality education without being a political powerhouse, but it helps when it comes to breaking the rules and shutting out the competition. Just ask SMU. They give out a quality education and have for a long time and yet they have a black eye because of the entire football scandal from the eighties. I'm sure you remember; SMU received the death penalty and had their entire program dismantled, TAMU got a slap on the wrist for similar infractions and UT never even received a slap on the wrist. Both TMU and UT were guilty of the same violations and yet their programs have not been tinged with the stain of cheating, why? Political power pure and simple.

So if it is that bad when it comes to something like football what happens when TAMU, UT and UNT want to dig at the same Caddo Archeological site? What happens when all three are competing for a state or federal research grant? As it stands today UT will have first dibs, TAMU will have second and schools like UNT and Tech get to fight for the scraps.

Last edited by fistofsouth; 05-11-2011 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,418 posts, read 13,563,687 times
Reputation: 4809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I know the whole DFW region is rapidly expanding northward. Do you foresee the metroplex absorbing the Sherman/Dennison metro into the DFW CSA?
Wouldn't surprise me one bit & mark my words it will happen in our lifetimes, if not sooner (next 15-20 years).

D/FW's uninterrupted northward sprawl has already reached as far north as Prosper & Melissa.

They're gunning for the Red River folks! I often like to refer to North Texas as "Baja Oklahoma".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Lancaster, TX
1,229 posts, read 2,101,914 times
Reputation: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I know the whole DFW region is rapidly expanding northward. Do you foresee the metroplex absorbing the Sherman/Dennison metro into the DFW CSA?
The Census Bureau already considers the Sherman-Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area part of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Combined Statistical Area.

The following metropolitan/micropolitan statistical areas are components of the larger Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Combined Statistical Area, according to the U.S. Census Bureau:
  • Athens Micropolitan Statistical Area (Henderson County)
  • Bonham Micropolitan Statistical Area (Fannin County)
  • Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington Metropolitan Statistical Area (Collin, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise counties)
  • Gainesville Micropolitan Statistical Area (Cooke County)
  • Granbury Micropolitan Statistical Area (Hood and Somervell counties)
  • Mineral Wells Micropolitan Statistical Area (Palo Pinto County)
  • Sherman-Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area (Grayson County)
I believe that place of employment/commute plays a major role in this. The latest available census data on worker flow (from 2000) showed that 79% of Grayson County's residents worked in Grayson County, with only 14% working in one of the five core counties of the DFW MSA. Until you begin to see the development of major employment centers to connect both areas, I don't see the Sherman-Denison MSA losing its status as a separate metro in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
I am with Clarnence on this. I doubt the metroplex will ever go that far north for 50 years or more, if not 100 years or more. There is too much expansion opportunity on the east and south sides of Dallas (not to mention around Fort Worth and GP on "other sides") that will probably be developed to make "room" for future generations before we expand another 50-100 miles north of Frisco or McKinney. LOL
I agree.

There has been expansion to the east and south over the past decade. Here's a list of eastern/southern Dallas suburbs, sorted by 2010 Census population, and their growth rates:

..................2000........2010..(Growth Rate)
Garland........215,768.....226,876..(5.1%)
Mesquite.......124,523.....139,824..(12.3%)
Rowlett.........44,503......56,199..(26.3%)
DeSoto..........37,646......49,047..(30.3%)
Cedar.Hill......32,093......45,028..(40.3%)
Duncanville.....36,081......38,524..(6.8%)
Rockwall........17,976......37,490..(108.6%)
Lancaster.......25,894......36,361..(40.4%)
Waxahachie......21,426......29,621..(38.2%)
Balch.Springs...19,375......23,728..(22.5%)
Sachse...........9,751......20,329..(108.5%)
Midlothian.......7,480......18,037..(141.1%)
Terrell.........13,606......15,816..(16.2%)
Seagoville......10,823......14,835..(37.1%)
Forney...........5,588......14,661..(162.4%)
Glenn.Heights....7,224......11,278..(56.1%)
Red.Oak..........4,301......10,769..(150.4%)
Royse.City.......2,957.......9,349..(216.2%)
Heath............4,149.......6,921..(66.8%)
Fate...............497.......6,357..(1,179.1%)
Hutchins.........2,805.......5,338..(90.3%)
Sunnyvale........2,693.......5,130..(90.5%)

Southern Suburbs of Fort Worth
..................2000........2010..(Growth Rate)
Mansfield.......28,031......56,368..(101.1%)
Burleson........20,976......36,690..(74.9%)
Cleburne........26,005......29,337..(12.8%)
Crowley..........7,467......12,838..(71.9%)
Keene............5,003.......6,106..(22.0%)
Joshua...........4,528.......5,910..(30.5%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Texarkana
674 posts, read 858,757 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
The Census Bureau already considers the Sherman-Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area part of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Combined Statistical Area.

The following metropolitan/micropolitan statistical areas are components of the larger Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Combined Statistical Area, according to the U.S. Census Bureau:
  • Athens Micropolitan Statistical Area (Henderson County)
  • Bonham Micropolitan Statistical Area (Fannin County)
  • Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington Metropolitan Statistical Area (Collin, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise counties)
  • Gainesville Micropolitan Statistical Area (Cooke County)
  • Granbury Micropolitan Statistical Area (Hood and Somervell counties)
  • Mineral Wells Micropolitan Statistical Area (Palo Pinto County)
  • Sherman-Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area (Grayson County)
I believe that place of employment/commute plays a major role in this. The latest available census data on worker flow (from 2000) showed that 79% of Grayson County's residents worked in Grayson County, with only 14% working in one of the five core counties of the DFW MSA. Until you begin to see the development of major employment centers to connect both areas, I don't see the Sherman-Denison MSA losing its status as a separate metro in the near future.



I agree.

There has been expansion to the east and south over the past decade. Here's a list of eastern/southern Dallas suburbs, sorted by 2010 Census population, and their growth rates:

..................2000........2010..(Growth Rate)
Garland........215,768.....226,876..(5.1%)
Mesquite.......124,523.....139,824..(12.3%)
Rowlett.........44,503......56,199..(26.3%)
DeSoto..........37,646......49,047..(30.3%)
Cedar.Hill......32,093......45,028..(40.3%)
Duncanville.....36,081......38,524..(6.8%)
Rockwall........17,976......37,490..(108.6%)
Lancaster.......25,894......36,361..(40.4%)
Waxahachie......21,426......29,621..(38.2%)
Balch.Springs...19,375......23,728..(22.5%)
Sachse...........9,751......20,329..(108.5%)
Midlothian.......7,480......18,037..(141.1%)
Terrell.........13,606......15,816..(16.2%)
Seagoville......10,823......14,835..(37.1%)
Forney...........5,588......14,661..(162.4%)
Glenn.Heights....7,224......11,278..(56.1%)
Red.Oak..........4,301......10,769..(150.4%)
Royse.City.......2,957.......9,349..(216.2%)
Heath............4,149.......6,921..(66.8%)
Fate...............497.......6,357..(1,179.1%)
Hutchins.........2,805.......5,338..(90.3%)
Sunnyvale........2,693.......5,130..(90.5%)

Southern Suburbs of Fort Worth
..................2000........2010..(Growth Rate)
Mansfield.......28,031......56,368..(101.1%)
Burleson........20,976......36,690..(74.9%)
Cleburne........26,005......29,337..(12.8%)
Crowley..........7,467......12,838..(71.9%)
Keene............5,003.......6,106..(22.0%)
Joshua...........4,528.......5,910..(30.5%)
Thanks for the info! As fast as the growth has been there's no telling what the area will look like by 2035-2040.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Texarkana
674 posts, read 858,757 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Wouldn't surprise me one bit & mark my words it will happen in our lifetimes, if not sooner (next 15-20 years).

D/FW's uninterrupted northward sprawl has already reached as far north as Prosper & Melissa.

They're gunning for the Red River folks! I often like to refer to North Texas as "Baja Oklahoma".
LOL! With all the growth occuring and forecast for the future, they'll have to rename the area the North Texas Mega Region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Status: "Fleeing Texastan soon--perhaps for Illinois! :)" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Fort Worthless, Texastan
446 posts, read 339,323 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
LOL! With all the growth occuring and forecast for the future, they'll have to rename the area the North Texas Mega Region.
The Dallas Megalopolis?

On a more serious note, however... while the region has become sprawled out enough to make all those areas interconnected, I doubt that DFW will ever "swallow up" Sherman-Denison. The upcoming resource/energy crisis will put an abrupt halt to the sprawl machine before that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top