Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 112,154 times

Advertisements

I am moving down there in a couple of weeks. I have applied for employment and I have been getting a couple of hits (thank GOD!!). I still have out of state license and I am moving in with a friend which means I still will not have proof of residence or no bills in my name down there. What will I need to transfer Out of state License over to Texas license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,228,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howru View Post
I am moving down there in a couple of weeks. I have applied for employment and I have been getting a couple of hits (thank GOD!!). I still have out of state license and I am moving in with a friend which means I still will not have proof of residence or no bills in my name down there. What will I need to transfer Out of state License over to Texas license?
If I remember, it was just vehicle registration. I don't remember the details but TXDOT and DPS websites should have all the info you need.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
From the Texas Department of Transportation

Drivers & Vehicles

Quote:
Moving to Texas?

New residents moving into Texas, who are at least 16 years or older and have a valid driver license from another state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License. All out-of-state applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office to present and complete the following:
  1. Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
  2. If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender. The written and driving examinations will be waived, but you must still pass a vision exam.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ingtotexas.htm

Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,574 times
Before you head to the DMV to turn in your license, you have to:

1. Get your vehicle inspected. Then you take that paperwork to the motor vehicle division to get it registered.

2. Only *after* you have registered your vehicle and gotten the license plate tags will you be able to go get your driver's license.

I just went through this. You have to do everything here New Residents BEFORE you can go to this other place TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card to surrender your license.

So plan on getting your car tags first, then license. And before you head out, call to confirm the situation with your temporary address...not sure how that affects car registration.

There are several threads on this with very detailed information, as the process here in Texas is a little different than in other states.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
what if someone moving to the state does not own an auto
that is possible with younger drivers or even older ones--how can you show proof of change of registration when there is no car
and do they check the former state's info to see if you had car registered in your name there?
so they would know if you were trying to avoid the transfer registration

Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what if someone moving to the state does not own an auto
that is possible with younger drivers or even older ones--how can you show proof of change of registration when there is no car
and do they check the former state's info to see if you had car registered in your name there?
so they would know if you were trying to avoid the transfer registration
Beats me...I know when I called they made it clear I needed to do the vehicle registration first. Not sure what happens if you do not own a vehicle. Maybe that is why you can obtain a Texas I.D. versus a driver's license?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Yeah, suppose I spouse moved to Texas and went through title transfers, registrations, inspections and driver's license and then days or months later the other spouse shows up and needs the DL changed. Would they re-register, etc?

I think the state might have been answering more than one question in the case of mami... The OP could call the state at the listed number to verify before attempting.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. Actually, I clicked on the TDPS link and under moving to Texas and requirements. It does state, "...Texas...vehicle inspection and registration..." as one of the requirements. Thanks again

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Before you head to the DMV to turn in your license, you have to:

1. Get your vehicle inspected. Then you take that paperwork to the motor vehicle division to get it registered.

2. Only *after* you have registered your vehicle and gotten the license plate tags will you be able to go get your driver's license.

I just went through this. You have to do everything here New Residents BEFORE you can go to this other place TxDPS - Apply for Driver License/ID card to surrender your license.

So plan on getting your car tags first, then license. And before you head out, call to confirm the situation with your temporary address...not sure how that affects car registration.

There are several threads on this with very detailed information, as the process here in Texas is a little different than in other states.
Thanks alot!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 AM

333 posts, read 1,022,441 times
I didnt get my license changed for a very long time. I wanted until it was up for renewal, and same thing with my car tags. It costs way too damn much in TX and they make everything extra complicated, so if I were you, I would wait until I had a permanent residence bc if not, your going to have to get a new license with the new residence anyway. i came from a state that used an electronic system to verify most things, so the need for dragging in a million documents was not necessary. TX makes the entire process painful and expensive, thats why I say wait until you have a job and your own place. They are going to ask you a million questions otherwise. Also, look up how much money you need bc they become highly irritable if you dont have the exact cash or check already written out. By the time all this was over with, they wiped my ass for about a grand for 2 vehicles. Thanks Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas