Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 164,800 times

Advertisements

That's true for holders of non-expired licenses from U.S. and U.S. territories, Canada, France, and Germany.

Anywhere else - you can drive for up to 1 year in the U.S. due to the U.S. and many other nations being signers of the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.

Beyond 1 year, you are then generally required to license in the U.S. state where you reside, subject to the whims of each individual state.

Some states will require you to license within 30 days if you plan on being a lawful resident. I believe this is the case in Texas.

In Texas, if you hold a license from another U.S. state or territory, or Canada, France or Germany, the written and skills tests are waived. Vision test is still required.

If you hold a license from somewhere else, or if your license is expired, depending by how much time has lapsed, you will be required to take the written and skills tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
If you have a valid DL in any US state you do not have to retake the test to transfer to another state. I have transferred from Maryland to Louisiana and then to Texas and never had to re take a driving test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,353,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh.yerbouti View Post
Some states will require you to license within 30 days if you plan on being a lawful resident. I believe this is the case in Texas.
Though all the information you post is 100% accurate, the part I'm quoting isn't, what shall we say, heavily enforced. I've been here over 6 months already, and the first 30 days, I couldn't even get a license, so it's a requirement that only work if you come from another state, not another country.

I also know people who drove around Dallas for 4 years on an Arkansas license, etc, without getting any trouble.

But you are right, it's technically a requirement.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,893,740 times
Quote:
PS- any state that you live in in America will make you re-take the state test for that state.
NO! Once you hold a valid US drivers license all you do in your new state is go to the DPS, WAIT in a REALLY long line, take the vision test and your picture and viola...you have a new license for that state!

Only time I have had to take a written test (other than at 16 for my first license!) was in Germany to get my international license.

Have lived and had a drivers license in TX,Europe,CA,WA,CO,PA,VA and back to TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas