Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Animal control. You don't want to shoot or poison a skunk (or any unwanted wild animal) just to have them disappear under the house to die.
Those critters want stay under the house all day, just stick your rifle out the window when you see one crossing the yard.

Seriously though, Skunks are on my do not mess with list. I don't even want to shoot one lol So I would try the moth ball approach first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
If you shoot em in the head they don't run very far.

I am kidding of course. Although my gun does have a scope on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Those critters want stay under the house all day, just stick your rifle out the window when you see one crossing the yard.

Seriously though, Skunks are on my do not mess with list. I don't even want to shoot one lol So I would try the moth ball approach first.
It's illegal in most areas of DFW...if not all...to shoot varmints. I'd call animal control or an exterminator, but that's just me.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I've read where they really hate light. Of course, I don't know how you could hook up a light under the house without getting sprayed. I would call animal control too.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM

373 posts, read 635,467 times
Default Good Pets

Skunks can make good pets. They are friendly like a dog, and use a litter box like a cat.

Still I would try to find a humane way to encourage them to live somewhere else

Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's illegal in most areas of DFW...if not all...to shoot varmints. I'd call animal control or an exterminator, but that's just me.
We called the animal control out for a javelina once. I was going to hit it with my compound bow but was afraid I'd get into trouble being in the city limits. So I called the Animal Control who also for some reason called the Sherifts department (our Midland home is right on the City/court line). When it was all over with, the shiperift's Deputy Introduced the Javelina to a 40SW Glock lol

Anyhow, it all depends on if you're in the county or not. If you're located in the county, you technically need a Hunter's education ID and hunting license. But our county Sheirfts and Game wardens are pretty lazed about things like Skunks.

In all honesty, my replies have been half humor. As you pointed out, it's probably illegal to shoot a critter in this person's location. Further more, I was completely honest when I said a Skunk is on my do not shoot list...at least any where near where I sleep or eat lol

Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
So the bad small drives the skunk away? That's a bit ironic.
It surely is, but that's what she read on the internet and apparently, it worked.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 PM

102 posts, read 429,910 times
When my FIL had a family of skunks make their home under his house a few years ago, the county agent recommended using bright lights and ammonia to get rid of them. So my FIL aimed a 500 watt halogen flood light toward the corner where the skunks were, then used a piece of pvc pipe to reach close to their nest. He poured the ammonia into the pipe. The next day, he saw the mama skunk and 3 babies come out from under the house and make their way toward the woods. Then he made sure to seal the hole they had dug in order to get under the house.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
if you are in the city call animal control

our next door neighbor's dog killed a skunk in their back yard last week--he found it the next morning--
called animal control and they came out and picked up the body to send it off for rabies check (negative thankfully) and they left him a humane trap to put out and see if there was another one coming around

if you try to kill a skunk by shooting it==pellet gun or 22--it can release its scent and stink up the area -- that can last for a week or more and be VERY noxous

skunks can carried rabies and if they are moving around in the daytime (not their normal hours) then the likelyhood that something is wrong with them is higher than if you see them messing in your area at night...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

if you try to kill a skunk by shooting it==pellet gun or 22--it can release its scent and stink up the area -- that can last for a week or more and be VERY noxous..
Yuppers, that is why skunks are on my top do not shoot unless miles away from my house list lol

Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Yuppers, that is why skunks are on my top do not shoot unless miles away from my house list lol
What if you shoot em in the cornhole? That might plug it up.

They are nasty little critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: