Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM

56 posts, read 129,449 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity to relocate to either Austin or Plano. I would love to hear from anyone who lives in Plano to get some real feedback on what the city is like. I have read through the Austin forum so I'm pretty much familiar with that area but not Plano.

One thing that concerns me are the tornado threats. Being in north Texas I'm sure the chances are much greater. How often do you hear the warning sirens and what do you do if you hear them? Is this something that we should even be worried about?

Also, I know that Austin has some pretty messed up roads in that they were laid out in such a fashion that now with the growing population it is very hard to get around. How is it in Plano?

Do you have problems with snakes, scorpions, etc., like in Austin and other areas of Texas?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
I just had to laugh out loud over your questions. Surprised that you didn't ask if we Texans carried guns on our belts. We are a typical suburban sprawl city. No, no scorpions or snakes unless you are out hiking in fields. I have lived in the DFW area since 1978 and have never seen a scorpion here, I have seen a couple of snakes around water. We get tornado warnings about 5 times a year, I would estimate. I don't think Plano has ever been hit by a tornado. You can google and learn about Austin v. Plano tornados. This is a silly, silly reason to select one location over another IMHO.....so unlikely to ever effect you! Make your decision about the best career situation, recreational interests, travel, etc. As far as local roads, Plano is very accessible. However we have horrid rush hour traffic so if you can live close to the work location, that's the best thing to do. If you need to use airports alot, the DFW airport is really great and a better choice over Austin. Austin is the capitol and also has the big state university. It is considered a much more hip place to live. You can certainly learn alot about Plano by going to their city website. Plano offers great schools, very attractive neighborhoods and home prices. Of course, you would rent before purchasing a home if you have any sense at all to make sure the area is right and the job works out. Plano is very close to Dallas and not a bad distance from Fort Worth, either. Austin is very drivable to San Antonio (a fun place). I would chose Austin over Plano if all else were equal.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
You're really needing to compare "Dallas" as a whole, not just Plano if you're going to compare it to "Austin" as a whole and not Austin's suburbs. I lived in Dallas (Richardson) for 25 years, moved there in 1984. I've lived in Austin (Bee Cave) for almost 3 years. It's night and day.

Dallas has a highway infrastructure, whereas Austin does not. Plano is a grid. Streets, for the most part, go north and south and east and west. You don't have to go around things to get around. Overall, Dallas housing prices are lower than Austin. Dallas rentals are lower than Austin's. Milk is less expensive in Dallas than Austin.

Overall cost of living is lower in Dallas, though the cost of living calculators will tell you a different story. The state inspection you have to get on your car every year is less in Austin, however car maintenance is higher. Within 3 months of moving to Austin, I needed new brakes and brake pads because of the hills and higher speed limits, but then having a red light in the middle of a 65mph area. The roads are hard on the brakes...

Austin is "prettier" if you're into that. Plano got it's name because they were trying to figure out the Spanish word for "plain", no joke...

Both areas have different things to consider. Plano schools are the most over-congested schools, probably in the state, not just the Dallas area. They only have 3 senior highs for the entire area, and Senior high means only 11 and 12th grades. I grew up through the Richardson schools, which were always back and forth with Plano for highest rated in the area. Things have changed, but they're still very good districts. Before moving to Austin, the last place I lived was the city of Richardson, but in Collin County, so it was Plano schools. Exemplary rated.

Where I live in Bee Cave, it's the Lake Travis schools, Exemplary rated District and not just Exemplary rated schools, which is second behind the Eanes district in West Lake, two of the higher rated districts in the state.

You need to think about what you're wanting with where you move. Hustle and bustle of the Dallas fast-paced metroplex, or the slower moving, more relaxed Austin.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:04 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Agree with Squirl on all points.

The tornado threat is no different in Austin vs. Plano. They really are not that common, and the large/destructive ones are honestly quite rare. I have lived in Texas for 39 years, and I have NEVER been hit directly by a tornado. NEVER.

Don't live close to a stream, or a pond, and you will not have a problem with snakes. Scorpions do not like the black clay soil that is in most of the DFW area. (They do like the sandy loam and red soil in east Texas.)

Austin traffic is pretty bad, but just as in Plano, you will want to live fairly close to where you work so you aren't spending an hour a day stuck in it.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,981 times
I grew up in Austin and currently live in Plano. As far as tornadoes, when I was going to UT-Austin there was a 'day of tornadoes' back when Jarrell was hit in the late 90s (there were a number of tornadoes in the greater Austin area that day, including central Austin). I was stuck for hours in the basement of the Physics building where they build a computer lab & it was flooding; Not fun. As far as Plano, I only hear the warning sirens when they test them (typically at noon time once a month or so).

Scorpions will be an issue in the areas around West Austin where there's new construction. I've seen snakes in both areas, but only because my family has chosen to live around greenbelts, creeks, forests, etc. I don't hear others talking about issues with those particular animals.

Road infrastructure used to be very bad in Austin, etc. There's sort of a mentality of, I got mine (house / location / etc.), screw over the next guy. Very much like the Cali-mentality, and Austin does have quite a few California transplants. Roads over here in Plano are nice and well taken care of, I don't know how that may change as the city ages though, but it's quite good compared to most of Texas and America now.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM

haha...I knew I'd get someone laughing about my questions.

The only reason I brought up the scorpions is because I asked that same question in the Austin thread and had several comments on how people have had major issues with scorpions IN their houses. Dropping out of the air vents, etc. Plus, one of my husbands coworkers just had a rattlesnake in his backyard in Austin. With three young kids who love to play outside, that sort of freaks me out a bit. So, you can see why I'm asking.

I certainly don't base these things on whether I move or not because if my husband is transferred we go, however, I would like to have a sense of where I'm going. I'm sure many people wonder about the tornado chances seeing that that is north Texas and very close to Oklahoma.

Commute time, schools, are obviously high on our list of concerns. We would definitely rent before buying because it would give us time to see whether we like the area and want to make it our home for many years and it would give us time to learn the area and know exactly where we want to buy.

We are originally from Florida so we are used to the heat. We've been in PA now for six years and have adjusted to the weather here so it's going to be an adjustment once again when we move to Texas. I've been told that the heat is different in that it's dry, more like an oven heat. That's still pretty darn hot.

I appreciate all the information.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,563 times
Default Lived in both places

We lived in Plano for ten years and moved to Austin last year. I agree with the poster who said you need to compare Dallas and suburbs and Austin and suburbs. We lived in Austin proper and the schools we chose were excellent, but still underfunded and overcrowded compared to Plano.

If you choose to live in an Austin suburb, the schools will be comparable to Plano. On the other hand, we wanted to be close to my husband's work since the traffic in Austin was terrible. While living in Plano, my husband commuted to Texas Instruments, which is located in the far northern tip of Dallas right next to Richardson, and it took him about 30 minutes.

I think Plano's schools, parks, activities for kids are all top notch. We are now living in Albuquerque, and the admissions director for a toney private school was very impressed when she heard my kids were in the gifted and talented program in Plano. She said all of the students they accepted from Plano schools were extremely prepared.

The DFW area has much higher level museums and cultural events such as theater and symphony if you are into that. I really missed being able to drive down to the DMA and the Nasher Sculpture Center.

On the other hand, I loved the vibe and excitement of downtown Austin. Dallas is a ghost town on the weekends, whereas downtown Austin is fun, fun, fun. Austin is much more beautiful with more outdoor activities close by.

I think you could be happy both places, but Austin has a more carefree, fun atmosphere. I think if I had to choose, I would choose Austin. That being said, I was very happy in Plano.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanks so much for all the posts. I love to hear different perspectives from everyone.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM

181 posts, read 234,117 times
I think it completely depends on your age and what you are into. I view Austin is a younger more liberal city and Plano as a 30 somethings more conservative city, more so than Austin at least. I would personally love to live in austin because I love the vibe and music of the city. Plano is a very upper class area. It is literaly impossible to go down the street without seeing at least five luxury vehicles. I do enjoy living in the area, but as a 25 year old and unmarried, it is not an ideal place to live. Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Where is the job located in Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas