Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2006, 03:56 PM

20 posts, read 77,720 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am considering a move to Kaufman County, TX and have just learned it's "Dry".

As a life-long Floridian, I have no clue what that's all about? My neighbor said that you can't drink a beer or serve one to a guest in your own home-I find that VERY hard to believe.

Is there someone here who can cut through all the rumor and supposition who can tell me the REAL facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 37,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee
Hi folks,

I am considering a move to Kaufman County, TX and have just learned it's "Dry".

As a life-long Floridian, I have no clue what that's all about? My neighbor said that you can't drink a beer or serve one to a guest in your own home-I find that VERY hard to believe.

Is there someone here who can cut through all the rumor and supposition who can tell me the REAL facts?

That just means that there are no liquor stores and none sold in grocery stores or convenience stores. Some towns in dry counties may not even serve alcohol in restaurants although most do. We live on the border of Grand Prairie and Arlington and have to go into either Dallas or Fort Worth to buy alcohol although Arlington sells beer and wine in grocery stores. Also, liquor stores are closed on Sundays.

OF COURSE YOU CAN HAVE ALCOHOL IN YOUR OWN HOME!!

Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 PM

4 posts, read 13,687 times
Someone just did not want you to drink I guess. All it means is that you cannot buy it in stores.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 PM

20 posts, read 77,720 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info-I knew someone was pulling my leg! I'm very gullibale and I make myself an easy target. What I was told sounded too much like prohibition. I smelled a rat.

Here in FL some cities have restricted Sunday sales also. (Can't sell beer until 'such-and-such' at time.) Funny how no one complains until the start of football season.

The 4th of July without BBQ and a brewski just wouldn't be the same!

Now all I hafta' figure out is how much you can buy at one time and not fall into the catagory of: "Trafficing with intent to sell", I'm sure the retailers will let me know about all those pesky details when I get there.

This forum is the BEST! Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM

41 posts, read 195,115 times
That was probably a stretch of the truth. You cannot buy Hard liquor in Many counties in Texas on Sunday. The last remnant of the old 'Blue Law".

You can buy beer or wine in "wet" areas on Sunday after 12 noon and the stores close at 6:00pm. On weekdays liquor stores open at 10 and close at Midnight.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
like homesick in Hawaii said--there are some counties where you cannot buy alcohol--beer, wine, hard liquor like whiskey, vodka--and you can even get a ticket for driving it into the county if you are stoped by police--although once you get it into your home you can drink it w.o a problem I believe....
there are some counties/townships where you can buy beer but not wine and some where you can buy beer and wine but the hours of sale are limited--like not after 2 am sunday and before 11 am sunday--when people are supposed to have their minds on godly things...
don't know specifically about Kauffman co rules...

Old 08-25-2007, 12:55 AM

24 posts, read 135,135 times
We use to go to this restaurant that is supposedly in the "DRY" area and it's kinda odd because you have to pay $1 or something to get a card so that you CAN buy alcoholic drinks. Then there was this other place that my mother in law use to go to that had free margarita one week night. It's kinda a scam...I don't drink, so I don't care, but I just thought it's a weird law when I first heard about it.

Also, one time we saw this car driving insanely on NW highway. My husband joked and said this is probably a drunk rushing to get to the liquor store pass the DRY area...the car drove pretty dangerously and quickly made a turn into the first liquor store...and this was in the day time.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 AM

415 posts, read 1,719,217 times
I honestly think you'd have to do something else pretty serious to be charged with trafficking alcohol if you're just buying for the weekend (or two). I've bought cases of wine before and no one called the cops on me

The $1 'membership' cards are for places that allow the sale of alcohol for on-site consumption if you're in a private club. You join the private club for a buck. Should only be a one time deal for each restaurant/bar. I don't remember being charged for it lately - just show your drivers license.

It seems asinine to me, but the residents keep voting for it in many places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas