Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM

458 posts, read 2,776,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
From urban dictionary:

A person who earns roughly 30 to 40k a year but acts like a millionaire in front of their peers. Someone who maxes-out their credit cards, leases everything and hangs out at trendy bars in order to impress and ultimately score with the opposite sex. It's not what you make... it's what you fake.
Oh, ok. I guess I'm glad I don't know anything about that then. Most people who "seem" to be living good probably aren't. It's all smoke in a mirror. And for me personally, I would be the other way around if I was a true millionaire... I would be the guy who is a millionaire but acts natural and doesn't try to be something they aren't and no one would even know I was one. I am from Southern Indiana but I honestly noticed a difference in the types of people in Ft. Worth/Arlington from Dallas. We were in Dallas for a Mavericks playoff game in April (in which they lost ) and I did notice a lot of people who appeared to be rich, some of which may have been, but most probably these 30K millionaire people... Meanwhile Mark Cuban wears jeans and a t-shirt and he is worth over $3 billion lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 AM

670 posts, read 3,000,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
From urban dictionary:

A person who earns roughly 30 to 40k a year but acts like a millionaire in front of their peers. Someone who maxes-out their credit cards, leases everything and hangs out at trendy bars in order to impress and ultimately score with the opposite sex. It's not what you make... it's what you fake.

LOL hey I ran into a lot of these guys in Newport Beach when I was younger and single. Didn't know Dallas had the market on it

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,012 times
But if you look at the average family income in Plano @ 102k and Highland Park @ 200k, you'll see that there are plenty of families that earn enough to be millionaires over time. Most probably spend their money foolishly, but given the sheer number of people in the area that make really good money, why would everyone assume that everyone is pretending?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,767,308 times
>>sheer number of people in the area that make really good money, why would everyone assume that everyone is pretending?<<

I agree and why do people care about other peoples money? Someone should write a book on that topic, lol.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 AM

670 posts, read 3,000,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
I agree and why do people care about other peoples money? Someone should write a book on that topic, lol.
That would be interesting I think actually.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>>sheer number of people in the area that make really good money, why would everyone assume that everyone is pretending?<<

True.

First off when it comes to appearance let me say that it is VERY easy to dress stylish in Dallas and not spend a fortune. Dallas is the MECCA of discount shopping. There are clothing designers that have warehouses in Dallas and some of us are on the mailing lists for those sales. I can buy a skirt for $30 that someone else went to a boutique and paid closer to $200 for. No one has to know and we are NOT going to wear the price tag so that those that are foolish enough to think that anyone that wears nice clothes is a so-called "30K millionaire" and living beyond their means.

Same goes for home furnishings. HELLO!!! We have a VERY NICE Design District along w/ some other "sales" and great haunts to find nice things for our homes w/o breaking the bank. Trust me, as someone that has worked on this end of the spectrum in Dallas - even those that do have LOTS of money are NOT going to pay retail (same goes for clothing). Finding bargains is the name of the game in Dallas.

Cars. Same for our cars. Even those that don't make six figures that can save, research and then purchase somewhat of a "luxury" car are not always living beyond their means. It just may mean that they found a vehicle they like, it is reliable, depreciation is not outragous, warranty is awesome (think BMW here), etc. Some may buy that higher end car but they may very well be the type that keeps their cars well past being paid off so they may be in MUCH better financial shape than someone driving a less priced car that trades it in ever 2-4 years. NEVER judge a book by its cover around Dallas when it comes to cars - trust me on this one. That guy you make fun of in the old pickup truck may very well have something like 6 cars sitting at home in his massive garage that are a range in price from $10K-150K.
For example you don't see 100 Ferrari's on the road everyday but they sure sell them around here like you would IF they were "daily drivers" (you MIGHT see 100 F cars on the road in one day if you happen to catch the club out for a drive ).

Speaking of cars - this is something I have observed being the owner of a more "common" vehicle like a Chevy Suburban and the owner of a more "luxury" car even though my model is NOT the high end by ANY means like a BMW. If I'm in the Suburban which btw cost MORE brand new than my BMW, lol, if I put my turn signal on to get over people will let me. If I happen to be in the BMW and do such w/ WAY MORE than enough room I will have people that will speed up to keep me from doing such. My driving styles are not any different in either vehicle. Just blows my mind that someone would do such just because they think the person in the "luxury" car is a "jerk" automatically or whatever. Which is REALLY sad when you think about it. I've never done such based on the type of car someone is in but it happens every single day. Someone else brought this up and said they need to look for another so-called "luxury" vehicle and then put their turn signal on to get over and they WILL let you in.

Homes. So some of you assume that just because someone lives in a nice big house they are living beyond their means and maxed out on credit cards???? Actually, the neighborhood I live in which is very nice, upper-middle, etc. is probably the exact opposite. Most of the homes are single income (mom stays home) and I'd say most live well w/in their means. Knowing as many as close as I do most are professionals, business owners, etc and seem to be VERY aware of their financial situations, thrifty, careful planners for the future, are not quick to run out and make large purchases, research large purchases, etc.

Don't be so quick to judge people just because of what they wear, drive or where they live.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Mom, maybe they let you over in the Suburban 'cause they think you can't see them back there!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,071,860 times
There is a human tendency to be jealous of another's good fortune, and to disparage those who have it.

I see no particular virtue in dressing like a tramp, driving a shabby car or living in a shack.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:46 AM

59 posts, read 230,835 times
when i used to live in north dallas 99-2004 i ran into some 30k millionaires and even some 100k millionaires. they do exist. i dont think its fair to say people are jealous of someones lifestyle especially when the ones i knew where bouncing checks left and right to have a new outfit at every event. one lady i hung out with bragged she wouldnt spend less than 1k on an outfit or she felt naked. this was after she asked me to chip in on gas for her suburban b/c it was on empty. priorities, priorities! its not just dallas you can find these type people anywhere in america but they tend to thrive in the north dallas area.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,012 times
Yes, there are plenty of people who put on a big show... but to assume that anyone who has a designer pocketbook or drives an expensive car is just doing it for show and can't afford it would be foolish.

Back in VA my wife and I would walk into a furniture store and not be approached a single time by a salesperson because we're jeans and t-shirt people. Down here I have not once been snubbed anywhere I have gone, even when I'm wearing old t-shirts with paint spots from our last renovation project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas