Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times

Advertisements

Your home owners insurance rates will be higher with a restricted breed dog. I have a part golden retriever/part chow, causing my insurance rates to increase by about 300 bucks. And although this is not in Dallas, the insurance is from a national provider. I did switch insurance providers to my bank's providers (an other national provider) and they were able to have that additional charge waived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The law is very clear in Texas about what people can do to your dog if it does charge them or is seen to threaten their kids. And owners will go to jail for even minor bites.

And in the case of Gov. Perry...If another animal goes after your dog, say a Coyote, you have the right to use a laser sighted Ruger to shoot it between the eyes! Heck you might even get a gun named for your good deed.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I have a golden retriever, he's still a puppy and weighs 65 lbs, he'll get up to about 80-85 lbs. No one in the neighborhood is afraid of him because even though he's an excited puppy, he is extremely friendly. In fact, there are probably more goldens in my neighborhood than any other breed. There's one huge dog that weighs 180 in the neighborhood, but he has a nice temperment and is friendly to other dogs and people.

So to answer your question, if your dog behaves, doesn't really matter what size he is. If he is a mean dog, it also doesn't matter the size, you're liable to get complaints and possibly reported if they bite, even if they are a small breed.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:41 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
part of me loves this law because of all the idiots who are attracted to these breeds, and part of me thinks this is communism incarnate. Oh well..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM

66 posts, read 161,599 times
Omg, can't believe something like that happens in Colorado!

BTW, I'm so glad reading your comments because WOW, I can not find that logical way of thinking here!

skids929, the American Bully as any other breed, can be chosen by bloodlines showing more or less activity and also, you can choose quiet parents to get quiet, familiar and friendly dogs as mine is

In fact, although I love Pitbulls, didn't choose that breed again because they need WAY too much exercise to stay calm and be good dogs. You can not keep a Pit inside your backyard and expect him to be a good boy just because. That's a very common mistake some people makes without being aware of it.
So... I started doing my research and found great breeders with excellent American bloodlines, followed their pups and found out a good breeder here who has different dogs. First thing a good owner of a kennel should ask? What's the purpose you want the dog for? So.. here I got my puppy.

As I explained, I work on dog behavior and you can bet having 2 little kids and other dogs plus cats I can not play a game with a breed that won't behave.
I've got 7 chihuahuas (all of them in the range of 2,5 and 6lb) and my 2 big dogs play with them so carefully you won't believe it.

But that's also in the way YOU take care of your dog, the way you teach it and how much you care about other people.
I also hate the kind of people taking "mean looking" dogs. Dunno if it is because they are lack of love or just because they want a dog that supplies all those things they can not be proud of.

Just in case you want to know my little pup (he is 8 months now)

Here they are, doing some homework:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320252_2194166446541_1018576826_32486678_129957181 _n.jpg (broken link)

With my little cat I rescued from the street:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307580_2156800712421_1018576826_32443608_4499921_n .jpg (broken link)

And here doing what he does during the day:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294220_2133078919391_1018576826_32416295_4066882_n .jpg (broken link)

Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Your home owners insurance rates will be higher with a restricted breed dog. I have a part golden retriever/part chow, causing my insurance rates to increase by about 300 bucks. And although this is not in Dallas, the insurance is from a national provider. I did switch insurance providers to my bank's providers (an other national provider) and they were able to have that additional charge waived.
Thanks for letting me know!

Actually, my home owner insurance also includes what they call here something like "Civic liability insurance", a fee you pay just in case one plant pot falls on someone's car or head, or if having non restricted breed dogs, any damage caused by them.
BUT, if you own a restricted breed, you need to take another different insurance to cover higher possible damage. Mine would pay up to 350.000 euro if my dog causes any damage to someone, or if one car hits him and gets damaged (the car, nobody cares about the dog )

I also read about Texas laws about dogs. It's so sad they've needed to arrive to this point, but guess that's the only way you can make some people be careful with their dogs behavior and although it looks quite overprottective I also undersand that not everybody knows how to handle big dogs.

The most important thing for me is not to bother, because yes, I absolutely love dogs and I don't mind all neighborhood doggies coming inside my house. But, that same way, I know there's a lot of people who doesn't like them, is afraid of them or just doesn't care. And if you want to be respected, you've got to show respect first

Once again, thank you very much, I'm even more excited about getting on a plane and start a new life in Texas!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
You are right, and it should teach me to look up things rather than go on half remembered stories.
It is driving though Denver where this is happening. In at least one occasion the dog euthanized was simply being driven through town en route to someone else. It was found at a routine traffic stop, and was a service animal. It was confiscated and Euthanized.
My sister is a vet tech and passes on stuff like this to me ll the time, I have a drawer full of it

Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
part of me loves this law because of all the idiots who are attracted to these breeds, and part of me thinks this is communism incarnate. Oh well..
Wouldn't affect the idiots, they would just be drawn to another breed. In the early to mid 80's there was a movement to ban Dobermans for the same reason. Then the idiots who wanted to train dogs to fight and be aggressive moved on to pits. If pits are banned they will move on to German Shepherds( which are actually the most violent breed.) It isn't the breeds that are problems, it is the owners, and any strong breed can be trained to be a menace by an owner who desires that.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Wouldn't affect the idiots, they would just be drawn to another breed. In the early to mid 80's there was a movement to ban Dobermans for the same reason. Then the idiots who wanted to train dogs to fight and be aggressive moved on to pits. If pits are banned they will move on to German Shepherds( which are actually the most violent breed.) It isn't the breeds that are problems, it is the owners, and any strong breed can be trained to be a menace by an owner who desires that.
Yup, you are so right. What is happening here, is that those idiots are getting even BIGGER and aggresive dogs such Caucasian Shepherds. A friend of mine had to buy a couple of them because one of the problems of having pits and other similar dogs in your yard could not only not avoid burglars from getting inside your house but also calling other kind of idiots wanting to steal your dogs for fighting purposes

Caucasian Shepherds are way bigger, they are real guard dogs that will not allow anybody getting into your house unless they live there or come inside together with their owner.
Yes, dogs here are used like weapons, alarms, toys, kinda sad I must say.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
The American Pit Bull is a controversial breed here in the States. This breed accounts for a large percentage of fatalities in the United States involving dog bites. As a result, a lot of states are erecting laws against the breed or trying to outright ban the breed all together.

The breeds most likely to kill

Now with that said, a lot of that falls squarely on the shoulders of the dog owners in my opinion. I mean in general a lot of these animals are raised in the capacity as attack dogs and in some cases abused. This isn't to say a well raised animals such as yours will not bite either. You can post pictures of your dog hanging out with cats and kids till the cows come home but all dogs bite. I spent some time in a hospital with a co worker all because some lady swore up and down here Golden Retriever was a Saint. As soon as she opened the fence gate, the dog launched at the guy almost tearing his ear completely off. This lady had all kinds of cute pictures just like you're posting. Heck, my grandmother's little dog ( forget the breed) was as harmless as they came and she once bit the mail man. It shocked us and the mail man. He had been delivering her mail for years and the dog could careless until that one day. We figured the dog was just getting old.

Anyhow, what all that said, I honestly feel this is a non issue. I'm just illustrating that people may show concerns of your animals as well as you shouldn't take their good behaviors for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas