Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_jadey View Post
hahaha thanks for the advice people think im definately going to opt for dallas!
Before you make a firm decision on Dallas, check out the Shops at Legacy, an urban type experience in Plano proper. Also check out Austin Ranch, similar feel for less $$$. Just to the west a few miles of Shops at Legacy. Many of the gen Y'ers I work with live in both these places.

http://www.austinranch.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Before you make a firm decision on Dallas, check out the Shops at Legacy, an urban type experience in Plano proper. Also check out Austin Ranch, similar feel for less $$$. Just to the west a few miles of Shops at Legacy. Many of the gen Y'ers I work with live in both these places.

Austin Ranch: Master Planned Community, Apartments, Luxury Homes, Retail, Corporate Campuses
The OP already said that she'd prefer to live in Dallas proper and a place such as Legacy or Austin Ranch would NOT be suitable to the OP's lifestyle. The chain restaurant/megachurch/McMansion/Faux-burb provincial lifestyle is available in spades throughout the burbs of DFW, but again, the OP would prefer something a bit grittier.

Moderator cut: orphaned
Moderator cut: see comment

Milton Keynes without the Chavs would probably be the best description of Plano I've heard in awhile.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2011 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, no discussion is permitted about another member, ever!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You called it on Legacy. Most people who live in the Dallas neighborhoods would not be caught dead up there.

Here we go again.

I've lived in Uptown, HP, off Oaklawn, Plano, the Colony, Richardson, and my current zip code. I've dated my race and other races, etc, etc. I've been to bars and honky tonks and everything in between in all these areas. Heck, I even helped burn guy fawkes on a bonfire party run by a gay couple for a few years.

I really do not see much of a difference in the people at any of these areas. Some may be quieter drinkers, but that is about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

Milton Keynes without the Chavs would probably be the best description of Plano I've heard in awhile.
For the unwashed, Milton Keynes is a "new" suburb in SE England. As OO's reification alludes to, it serves as as the whipping boy for the more urbane who live in inner London.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Hey I don't even go out to the suburbs in London! Only once I got tricked into some strange escapade leading to Luton.

Seriously though, when you visit a city in Europe you go to the innerstadt. When going to visit San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, et al do you really want to skip the city and visit the 'burbs? You go to the city because that's the interesting part. The only place I can think of that is an exception is L.A. The suburbs in many of these towns are interchangeable.

I grew up in Dallas, I am proud of my hometown and I really don't see that all this suburban sprawl has added anything to our city. I don't really need to go out there. If I do many times it's difficult to distinguish one place from another. Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Here we go again.

I've lived in Uptown, HP, off Oaklawn, Plano, the Colony, Richardson, and my current zip code. I've dated my race and other races, etc, etc. I've been to bars and honky tonks and everything in between in all these areas. Heck, I even helped burn guy fawkes on a bonfire party run by a gay couple for a few years.

I really do not see much of a difference in the people at any of these areas. Some may be quieter drinkers, but that is about it.
That's kind of the idea I've had from my few visits to the area in the past. I really don't understand the need for the "us vs them" mentality shown in some posts. Kind of sad. I've found that usually, what improves one part of a metro area, is a positive for the entire metro area! The way I look at it, there's something for everybody in an area like the Metroplex.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:22 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Hey I don't even go out to the suburbs in London! Only once I got tricked into some strange escapade leading to Luton.

Seriously though, when you visit a city in Europe you go to the innerstadt. When going to visit San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, et al do you really want to skip the city and visit the 'burbs? You go to the city because that's the interesting part. The only place I can think of that is an exception is L.A. The suburbs in many of these towns are interchangeable.

I grew up in Dallas, I am proud of my hometown and I really don't see that all this suburban sprawl has added anything to our city. I don't really need to go out there. If I do many times it's difficult to distinguish one place from another. Moderator cut: orphaned

Yes, I agree the suburbs have taken a lot away from Dallas. It has to compete with it's suburbs like Detroit does in terms of attracting businesses, amenities, and middle class families.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2011 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
The OP already said that she'd prefer to live in Dallas proper and a place such as Legacy or Austin Ranch would NOT be suitable to the OP's lifestyle. The chain restaurant/megachurch/McMansion/Faux-burb provincial lifestyle is available in spades throughout the burbs of DFW, but again, the OP would prefer something a bit grittier.

Until the OP comes and sees the area for herself, all we can do is offer our perspectives. Would never assume to know exactly what the OP wants. A commute in DFW without the public transport available in the UK is not something to take lightly. I have lived in both places and can offer a bit of insight.

First off, using Milton Keynes as the comparison for Plano is ridiculous. Milton Keynes is well outside Greater London. Like as far out as Sherman. Plano would be more like Richmond or Kingston, areas I lived near. Definitely not as trendy or hip as closer in areas, a mix of family dwellings, offices and apartments.

Just suggesting she come and check those places out that will be much closer to her work than jumping into Dallas with both feet without even considering them.

If we are going to offer good advice, we must not forget this basic fact: She doesn't have a car yet, doesn't even have a license. Getting a car won't be that easy, will have to pay cash as few banks will lend to someone with no established US credit history. And unless she has several thousand saved for a decent car, a few thousand is going to buy nothing more than an undependable clunker.

Just a few of the real life things to consider in life in TX. This culture is car dependent for better or worse. Having to put up with the headache of how to get to and from work five days a week to have a hip, swinging neighborhood.... well, just offering up insight that what might look cool at the get go can get old and frustrating as a normal routine is established. Most hardworking singles I know still have to get home, eat, do chores and get rest during the weekdays. Partying in Uptown can be done on the weekends and loses its weekday panache if you have struggled in the basic daily commute.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-15-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 PM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Before you make a firm decision on Dallas, check out the Shops at Legacy, an urban type experience in Plano proper.
What a great way of putting it. It's an "urban type" experience. As in NOT a real urban experience. That IS NOT what the OP wants.

I get so sick of the suburban types pushing these ticky tacky master planned developments that are in the middle of nowhere as an alternative to Dallas' real urban neighborhoods. Austin Ranch, Legacy, Firewheel, etc are isolationist suburban developments. They are not urban in any way, shape, or form and do not belong in threads where people desire an urban lifestyle.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,703 times
The OP should check things out before picking a place to live.

I grew up in the city and was quite happy to leave the city, as well as all the hassles of compressed city living, behind for the master-planned suburban bubble I now live in. We all tend to be provincial in our own way--whether we live in the city or the suburbs.

Now everyone play nice!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
What a great way of putting it. It's an "urban type" experience. As in NOT a real urban experience. That IS NOT what the OP wants.

I get so sick of the suburban types pushing these ticky tacky master planned developments that are in the middle of nowhere as an alternative to Dallas' real urban neighborhoods. Austin Ranch, Legacy, Firewheel, etc are isolationist suburban developments. They are not urban in any way, shape, or form and do not belong in threads where people desire an urban lifestyle.
Yes, walkable neighborhoods with residential, retail, office, restaurants and bars all in one location. Not the typical suburban model. So?

SHE DOESN"T HAVE A CAR and all you people want her to live 30 miles from her job in an area that doesn't have 1% of the available public transport as her home country solely to win a point for your inner city elitism on an internet site. This site is to give people advice and yours is lacking in the fact that she does not have a license or a car. You are not taking this point into account and the ramifications she will experience until she has one.... and even after she has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas