Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 PM

49 posts, read 120,157 times

Advertisements

Hello, my son is in middle school in the Frisco ISD. We are new to Texas and don't have a family support system. Does anyone know of after school programs that will pick him up from school and keep him until 6:30 p.m.? There is no bus to/from the school so he won't be able to stay home for an hour until I get home. Besides that, he is 11 and in my opinion too young to be home alone.

Currently I work from home and I am able to pick him up, but I may be obtaining employment outside of the home in the next few months. I have looked on-line, contacted his school and the only programs I see go through 5th grade.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

NNH
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM

23 posts, read 70,348 times
You might google "Frisco Forums", and post this question there. You would probably get more responses there. If you can't find it, I can pm you the website address.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,646 times
A friend of mine who is looking to buy soon mentioned that Frisco schools had some kind of before/after-care program, but I don't know any specifics.

Here's a good website forum to ask your question also...

Frisco-Online

Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 PM

62 posts, read 210,581 times
I recently relocated to Frisco and my kids attend school in Frisco ISD as well...I do think the in-house after-school programs (like YMCA & AlphaBest) are only for elementary...however, many day-cares offer pick-up from school back to the center and normally care for kids up to age 12. Your son might not enjoy being seen by his friends leaving in a day-care bus...but I'm pretty sure "Kids r Kids" "Creme de la Creme" and most other day-cares in the area do offer the service. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 70,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Here's a good website forum to ask your question also...

Frisco-Online

That's the forum I was talking about, but I wasn't sure if we could post links. I never read board rules, so I was playing it safe.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,623 times
places like YMCA usually have an after school program for up to age 12

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 11,275 times
I have similar question. I am new in Texas and have a son in elementary. Does anyone know the difference between AlphaBest and YMCA. My son is very active and likes sports. Which of the two programs is more sports oriented?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 AM

49 posts, read 120,157 times
I know this is almost two years later from my OP, but I never found an after-school program for my Middle schooler that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyone have any luck? I just don't feel comfortable leaving my 12 year old alone.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,967 times
Boys & Girls program has an after school program, the YMCA also has a program (although I don't know if they p/up), there are also a lot of martial arts/gymnastics/soccer, etc. programs that will p/up and last until at least 6:30pm. There is also Fieldhouse USA, but don't know if they p/up...but they're great for after school activities and are indoor as well for both winter and summer.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,646 times
Another possible option...does your son have a neighborhood buddy whose house he could go to after school? One whose parent is home during that time? Maybe you could arrange a deal with that parent....she/he "watches" your son for a few hours on those days, and you either pay them or return the favor on weekends, or a combo of both. Anyway, It can't hurt to ask plus its always a plus to know your kid's friends (and their parents!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: